Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 mxz 600 that i bought as a project. First off, it doesnt have a kill switch, idk what happened to it, but they had some makeshift one plugged in. Anyway, it doesnt run so i put an inline tester on to test for spark and like every 6 pulls or more it sparks. Sometimes bright, sometimes barely. Any ideas? i thought maybe it could be that makeshift kill switch but if that was the case it wouldnt spark at all thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
any chance you can get a hold of the previous owner, and find out just why he eliminated the kill switch?....and maybe find out some other history on it.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
I've seen corrosion between the voltage regulator and frame cause no spark on ZX chassis sleds with the newer electrical system like yours. Also if the motor has been apart and the trigger coils installed in the wrong position, it won't run but may show a spark as the engine almost comes to a stop after being pulled over.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the regulator ? that little box down below motor with big plug going into it? what else should i check?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i borrowed a buddys 99, mxz 600 to test parts on, i noticed that the 99 still sparks just fine when the regulator is unbolted from the frame and just rested on the belly pan, so what do you mean corrosion between frame and regulator?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What all should i swap for parts from the running sled? I tried voltage regulator and got the same issue. Next was going to try the CDI. ANything else after that before going as far as swapping stators? i would run tests first, but not entirely sure how to test the stator being this sled doesnt have a battery.... thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you test the stator? i pulled of recoil and inspected in visually and looks like maybe its dirty in there, not sure. I tried using a small gear puller to get fly wheel off but it kept slipping off those 3 bolts that holds cage on... any other tricks? otherwise i guess ill have to order a flywheel puller.. just dont want to wait.. thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the flywheel off and discovered some metal chunks and shavings in the inside. cleaned them out and blew the whole housing out with an air hose. Put back together and set spark plugs on motor and checked for spark old fashion way, both plugs sparking bright. Put an inline tester on, only seems to spark at the very end of each pull. and when it shows spark on the inline tester, it backfires. (assuming its cuz its throwing fuel in then finally igniting. I had it running for 3 seconds but i killed it right away on purpose, now cant get it going again.. it just backfires like every 5 pulls and its LOUD!. the exhaust is clean all the way through but the fuel is old, i dumped a little fresh fuel down each cylinder and that didnt even work, just backfires still, sprayed a couple squirts of starting fluid in intake and that doesnt work either. It did however aid in allowing it to start that one time, but now i cant get it going againm??? thanks!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If there was metal inside the flywheel you've got to find out how it got there. My guess is the stator was trashed by the metal flying around or the stator came apart and is the source of the metal. As Stealth stated above, are you sure the trigger coil is in the right location? There are two locations for trigger coils, if you have it in the wrong location it is going to backfire on you and won't run or will run backward.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
Try unhooking the kill switch ?

Sent from my HTC One S

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got it running! i found that my tester only showed spark sometimes, even though the inline spark tester was new? but when i laid plugs on head they sparked great. I ended up letting it sit in shop for a day after burning fuel off spark plugs and top of cylinders, then pulled it a few times WITHOUT choking it and it popped off! backfired some still probably from the fuel that was in there, but next night rode it 102 miles with no issues. No it doesnt seem to backfire anymore either! thnaks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts