Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought an 02 MXZ 800 Renegade from a buddy and the pawl was bad, but he bought a new one for me and i installed it, i rode sled one time(between 50-100 miles) and the sled ate up the recoil, so i borrowed the recoil off my 01 MXZ 700 in order to ride my 800 in the U.P. for the weekend, i rode half the day friday and all day saturday up there, saturday night my 800 just died while i was up there, come to find out, half the metal clip from the first recoil got behind the flywheel and trashed the magneto, so i put the 700 recoil back on the 700(nothing wrong with it still), so i bought an used recoil(that was in decent condition) that came off an 08 or 09 Summit 800 and put it on my MXZ 800, 2 weeks after my first trip to the U.P. i went back up there and rode my 800 with the Summit recoil all day friday, all day saturday and half the day sunday, right before loading the trailer to leave i had shut it off, when i went to start it again the recoil was junk, again!. In short, in about a months time the sled trashed 2 recoils and i only rode it 2 full weekends during that time. Any suggestions on what could be causing this sled to go through recoils and how to remedy this problem so that i dont have to replace the recoil twice this up coming season?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After taking the recoil apart farther it's mostly just the locking mechanism that got destroyed this time...The pawl is probably still ok, but am going to rreplace. So iv narrowed the problem down to the fact that the plastic post on the cover is the week point and the locking mechanism keeps vibrating off the post. So do I buy an entire new recoil sense I need a new cover or are there metal covers that will fit my sled?

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
Are you running an aftermarket muffler that may be letting too much heat into the recoil?
On my ZX I had to add heat reflective material to the recoil cover.
On the newer recoils, the metal retainer clip must be cut off and replaced very time or too much wear on the post will occur and it may slip off.
Some guys have drilled the centre out and put a bolt all the way through.
I believe there was some aftermarket aluminum housings floating around at some point... Probably hard to find though.
You could go to the older style metal housing held on with a band but you would have to change the piece between the recoil and the crankcase and possibly the recoil cup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The heat could definitely b an issue for me but I believe that u nailed it on the head stealth bomber, the clip is falling off the post so I think I will try n find a new one and put a bolt through it and I shouldn't have a problem again. Thank you everyone for the assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts