Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

02 440?s

677 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  CoolFlyer 
#1 ·
I just bought an 02 mxzx and have been reading and searching trail set ups. The previous owner said it was running hc domes with the "thicker" base gasket(ill asume and hope he meant the #6). He claimed to be running 91 octane with 33:1 mix with no problems all last year with this setup. I checked the compression and it reads 140 to 145 both sides.

He gave me the notes he had on the set up and id like to know what you guys think of it.

260 pto, 270 mag mains
needle on #1
#25 pilot
RAVE 1 turn

After reading many posts this seems VERY lean and im not sure on wheather i should jet up.

I pulled the plugs and they are dark but the sled has not been out to get load on the engine and really get an accurate reading.

Any coments would be great. I hope to get a good winter out of this sled.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
What elevation was he riding at? What will you be riding at? I have the same sled basically setup the same except for jetting. I run at 0-2000 feet with the jetting as follows:
04 carbs with no power jet
Mains 310
Needle clip at the top
#30 pilot
158ish on compression

If you are running at high elevatons I would think that is fairly close jetting

#3 ·
with h/c domes you should have a thinner base gaskets like a #3-5 and with l/c domes it should be a thicker base gasket like a #6-8. also i run my 99 on a 220main jet with l/c domes and i have no problems, and my plugs are fine and i haven't fouled 1 all last winter still got the same ones in there. and i mix 50:1.

#4 ·
I live and ride near Sudbury Ontario, elevation is about 1500'.

I hear most people with this sled running around 300 to 320 mains. But most of these ppl are also running 03 or 04 carbs. Does the power jet on the 02 carbs make this much differance?

Thx for the help guys

#6 ·
Im not too worried about the compression, the switch has been removed so the timeing has reverted to 91 octane.

mostly looking for help with my jetting, i never had to do any carb work to my last sled and i dont want to have problems with this one.

#7 ·
flappingflag said:
with h/c domes you should have a thinner base gaskets like a #3-5 and with l/c domes it should be a thicker base gasket like a #6-8. also i run my 99 on a 220main jet with l/c domes and i have no problems, and my plugs are fine and i haven't fouled 1 all last winter still got the same ones in there. and i mix 50:1.
[snapback]915608[/snapback]​
Your got that backwards bro........HC domes you should run the #6 gasket to raise the cylinder+head= less compression, LC domes, thinner gasket lowers the cylinder+head closer to the piston= more compression. He is running the correct gasket for the HC domes.

#8 ·
your jetting looks close to me...i ran a larger pilot, needle in the mid position, or 2nd from top...depending on temp...and that main is about right...youll be fine if you start with this.

the octane switch was best in the 91 position anyways...so leave it off.

...there were some issues with the selenoids sticking on the powerjets for that model year...pull the carbs...pull the selenoids and put 12 volts (DC) to them to confirm they move like theyre supposed to...spend some time cleaning the cavity in the carb so they dont stick.

have fun.

#11 ·
when the powerjets stick the thing gets really rich thru the mid and toward the full throttle position but cleans up on top...the selenoids can be removed and cleaned and for the hell of it you can use a volt meter to confirm theyre getting power durring run up but youll need an extra set of hands and some goggles...haha...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.