#31 ZaHaDoo

ZaHaDoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1368 posts
  • Sled:2006 Summit 800 151"

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

LRD knows his stuff and seems every year he is able to put stuff in an understandable form. Do an internet search for Gordon Jennings Two-Stroke Tuner's handbook if you want a good mathematical/engineering write up on tuned exhausts.

#32 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 27225 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

LRD knows his stuff and seems every year he is able to put stuff in an understandable form. Do an internet search for Gordon Jennings Two-Stroke Tuner's handbook if you want a good mathematical/engineering write up on tuned exhausts.

I appreciate the heads-up and the courtesy for sending me in the right direction.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R P-TEK Electrical Troubleshooting #1 and #2 
800R Turbo
850 Center Oil line for coolant pump melted
850 Main Oil line caught fire #1 and #2
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's and Ronn's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Electrical - Diagnoses of a failed ECM
Electrical - 30A Battery Charging Fuse Socket Diagnoses and Relay
Electrical - Relay Coil Wine
Electrical - Relay Testing
Electrical - Battery Charging Relay Diagnostic 
Electrical - Troubleshooting with BRP video 
Electrical - Solder vs Crimp
Electrical - Diagram for Fanners on page 3
Engine Break-In 
Engine Weight 
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Electric Start troubleshooting
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC eRAVE position code recurring
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
E-TEC Voltage Rectifier Regulator troubleshooting
E-TEC Power Fades are not normal and can be fixed
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 Steering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Longevity - 800R E-TEC 
Mikuni o-ring for carb float assembly - Arctic Cat part# 6505-875 or from Amazon and eBay
Muffler Red Hot
Off-trail riding for flatlanders
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pictures - How to post with the correct orientation
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Power Loss - How to diagnose in the field
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Seafoam for E-TEC injectors
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Spark Plugs cracked
Squish - The limit
Squish - A discussion on head design
Stator and Relay Diagnostic 
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator Removal on page 3
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#33 freerider14

freerider14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Braap!
  • Sled:2014 Ski Doo Freeride

Posted 11 January 2015 - 11:47 PM

I would post the can on craigslist for trade for stock can, some 16 year old will grab it in no time!!

2014 Ski-Doo Freeride 137", 2014 Ski-Doo BCX, 05 GMC Duramax, 22 foot Aluma Enclosed trailer.

#34 MinnDave

MinnDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2254 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing (trout), beer making, kayaking, hiking, DIY repair projects, river cruising
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 900 ACE

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

I would post the can on craigslist for trade for stock can, some 16 year old will grab it in no time!!

Yep and that 16 year old will grow up to be a total can head and annoy land owners and you know the rest.

Put that biatch can in the trash can and forget about it.

Edited by MinnDave, 12 January 2015 - 12:11 AM.

#35 LRD

LRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3298 posts
  • Interests:Extreme Mountain Snowmobiling
    Dirt Biking
    Bowfishing for Carp
    Target Shooting
    Forex Trading
  • Sled:TNT 636 Mod 360 lb - 15 X 141 X 2.25

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

When I put a 617 rotax in my Phazer in the early 90's and made a pipe and silencer I think Gordon Jennings book was likely one of the few places I could find any info drawings etc on 2 stroke silencers.  The can I built was rather small, and as I remember I had two ideas in it, straight through glass pack on first half and then into chamber reversing directions to outlet.  Don't remember exactly how I did it, will look through all my engine files and see if I still have any of my design drawings for it.  Engine dynoed about 120 HP, I don't remember it being obnoxious loud.  The Phazer front end was about as tight as a XP, think my primary clutch bolt rubbed on the side panel a little.

#36 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, snowboarding, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sports...Anything with an engine, definitely.
  • Sled:2006 Ski Doo MXZ 500ss

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the input LRD. To those of you who are telling me to "can" the can you're kinda missing the point--I think there should be a compromise where you can get some of the lightweight benefits of the can without the huge increase in noise or loss of power. I'm not saying BRP doesn't know what they are doing, I'm just saying there's gotta be a different way to get similar results.

2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 500ss...136" swap, narrowed stock a-arms, pilot 6.9 skis, and a whole lot more...Mod sled build in progress!

1988 Polaris Sprint 340...Custom Taillight Mod, Antique plates and still kickin'!

#37 MinnDave

MinnDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2254 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing (trout), beer making, kayaking, hiking, DIY repair projects, river cruising

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the input LRD. To those of you who are telling me to "can" the can you're kinda missing the point--I think there should be a compromise where you can get some of the lightweight benefits of the can without the huge increase in noise or loss of power. I'm not saying BRP doesn't know what they are doing, I'm just saying there's gotta be a different way to get similar results.

You sound like a reasonable guy. Is the savings in weight more important than the future regulation of the sport? 

This is called, "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater." 

#38 kidinloghouse

kidinloghouse

hater on all xrs and freeride owners that drive like panseys

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts
  • Interests:proud member and mechanic for halfcut racing
  • Sled:i'm not brand loyal, i drive the best

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

I'd really watch the pipe temps. years ago specialty sleds was welding small collars into the bottom of the mbrp cans to increase backpressure to get around the loss of power. and they would increase the egts significantly. okay for a drag race but no good on the lake

2016 800 commander blingstar vertical doors, 4500lb provantage, 29" bighorns on ITP;s, wetsounds stereo.

2016 wrecked T3 summit, getting stripped to 800etec the RS

2015 154 freeride magenta XC bumper and HD rear painted to match, aaen pipe, tss tunnel dump, bondi box, diamond s hood, 200miles and bent rails

2015 explorer boat w/ 60/40 evinrude jet pump

2013 600RS, 129x15x2" on black 2014 rs rails, aaen race can
2009 ds450 vin#0001 ronwoods pipe. 13:1 piston. double exhaust cam. BCS intake, clutch basket, rear carrier and cooling mod. BlingStar and sprocket/brake protectors, pro armor nerfs.
xmx rear shock, x fronts, shortend stock shocks for iceracing.
2008 ds450X Yoshi slip on, pink wire
2007 renegade 800 30" zillas on itp108's. SLC high clearance arms, factory skids, winch bumper W/2500lb provantage winch, xmr stealth snorkels.
2006 renegadeX 1000sdi 151" 2.25 finger track, threw the motor and harness in the garbage, got an 809 triple on the shelf that needs a new home
2003 7C special edition 827, race ported, crankshop twins, bored carbs,
1999 banshee needs motor and then some
2005 tundraR yellow hood, C&A's, XM seat, 8" bar riser, green take off freeeride bars, red odi grips, cut windshield.
1988 250 citation red hood
1985 250 tundra yellow hood
1984 250 tundra orange hood
1978 atc90 needs a lot of love

#39 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, snowboarding, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sports...Anything with an engine, definitely.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

You sound like a reasonable guy. Is the savings in weight more important than the future regulation of the sport? 

This is called, "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater." 

I'm confused. If the decibel levels are the same, then what difference does it make? If there's a way to improve upon BRP's weight without breaking the decibel laws, what's the issue?

2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 500ss...136" swap, narrowed stock a-arms, pilot 6.9 skis, and a whole lot more...Mod sled build in progress!

1988 Polaris Sprint 340...Custom Taillight Mod, Antique plates and still kickin'!

#40 YooperWoods

YooperWoods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:dirt and snow
  • Sled:04 MXZ-X 600 HO 151", 91 Phazer 144"

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

I'm confused. If the decibel levels are the same, then what difference does it make? If there's a way to improve upon BRP's weight without breaking the decibel laws, what's the issue?

There is no issue and I think this is a great thread and good technical discussion.  Hope the haters don't ruin it and get it locked. 

Not all of us ride where noise is a factor.  The areas I ride are so remote there isn't a residence within 15 miles in any direction, and some areas more than that.  We rode saturday in 2' of fresh pow and a couple guys went from the first ridge out to the second.  We couldn't hear them at all, in fact didn't know where they were and these were relatively loud sleds. 

I have a can on mine mostly because I bought it that way, but I do like the weight savings and if I can quiet it down I'm all for that so kudos for making the effort.  I truly hope this experiment works out because I'll give it a shot also.

phazerskidoo_zpsde8b2a7a.jpg

#41 MinnDave

MinnDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2254 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

Are you saying that you have the equipment to test the decibel requirements?

I have not read every post here. Was it already mentioned here?

The weight reduction theme just sounds like a smoke screen to me, especially for trail sleds.

In the end, when the general public is whining incessantly at public hearings, and more and more trails close,  and the clubs... tired of rerouting trails give up and walk away, then the  "can" riders will hopefully stand up and take a bow.

My hope is that a enough young riders will start to figure it out. The snowball has already started  rolling down the mountain side. 

#42 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

I believe my former boss has a decibel meter that I can borrow, but before I take the time to do that I want to make sure the sled will actually run well with the baffle in place. I got the mounting holes for it drilled but I am also partway through installing my clutch kit on my sled so it may take a brief backseat to tuning without the baffle.

#43 gene p

gene p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5936 posts
  • Sled:'07 MXZ 600 SDI

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

I believe my former boss has a decibel meter that I can borrow,

If you have a smartphone you can download an app .

Yeah , there's an app for that  :laugh_old:

#44 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

Nah no smart phone here!

#45 199Mods

199Mods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Summer Boats by day bikes by dinner time beers by dark.
    Sleds!!!
  • Sled:2004 SDI 600 GSX

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

The other benefit of a can is access to the track. It sucks pulling the stocker out just to change drivers or track. Something I do regularly.

My stock suitcase makes a nice rumble but with sleds weight service and performance being a huge factor for fun I LIKE THIS THREAD!

Its funny that the people being helpful and the people who just read can and posted something angry both love snowmobiles.

If you can haters had read ANY of FREESTYLIN' other posts he sets his sled up for off trail and is trying to accommodate people who's trail he has to ride so he is able to ride off trail and have FUN without upsetting anyone.

LETS change the conversation to a intelligent intellectual technical light hearted one.

This is no different than someone asking for help to make their sled more reliable after they first buy it.

Keep forging the way I have a mbrp can I would like to make trail suitable.

Andrew
Modding touring sleds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users