• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#1 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, snowboarding, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sports...Anything with an engine, definitely.
  • Sled:2006 Ski Doo MXZ 500ss

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

I have a MBRP can on my sled (came with it, I didn't buy it) and it's been brought to my attention that it's pretty loud. I decided to make a removable baffle insert for it as I don't have the couple hundred bucks necessary to buy a stock exhaust or quieter silencer. I know that putting something in the exhaust to limit the sound will also limit exhaust flow and increase backpressure which is a potential issue especially for 2 stroke sleds, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little power for the benefit of decreased weight if it is about the same loudness. The baffle only weighs about a pound so you're still saving 10+lbs in some cases over the stock exhaust.

My question is, other than a decrease in power due to the increase in exhaust backpressure, am I putting the engine at risk at all by using this baffle? I'd hate to burn the sled down or something along those lines trying to appease the anti-can crowd. For reference, this is essentially what I'm duplicating:

silencer.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input.

2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 500ss...136" swap, narrowed stock a-arms, pilot 6.9 skis, and a whole lot more...Mod sled build in progress!

1988 Polaris Sprint 340...Custom Taillight Mod, Antique plates and still kickin'!

#2 Tahquamenon

Tahquamenon

Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • Interests:Snow Machines + Snow, winter, snow, winter.
  • Sled:XR1200Gade,RevXP600,Rev550x,S2K380

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Not being a fan of loud sleds I would fish around for used stock muffler and meanwhile put up with the less restrictvie and louder aftermarket exaust until I could find one.  Parts sleds do become available now and then.

I would not want to risk the engine ending up with less airflow that stock.  Think could cause higher operating temperatures as the fuel mapping would not be correct for the restricted flow of the exhaust if that ended up being the case.

My two pennies...

Edited by Tahquamenon, 10 January 2015 - 07:56 PM.

#3 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, snowboarding, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sports...Anything with an engine, definitely.

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

See that's why I was tossing it out there--usually if you make the exhaust more restrictive although it may make a bit more heat in the pipe due to the backpressure it would end up making the sled run rich rather than lean. Rich lowers EGTs. At least that's my understanding of it but that's based on 4 stroke where my knowledge comes from.

2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 500ss...136" swap, narrowed stock a-arms, pilot 6.9 skis, and a whole lot more...Mod sled build in progress!

1988 Polaris Sprint 340...Custom Taillight Mod, Antique plates and still kickin'!

#4 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16463 posts
  • Interests:ice fishing, shuffleboard, bowling, vintage baseball
  • Sled:89 Mach1 05 500ss 20 Gade 600ace

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

I don't think that insert is going to put more back pressure on the system than a stock muffler would. I mean, you lessened it by how much with putting the can on?

Could be a good experiment....or costly lol

#5 Tahquamenon

Tahquamenon

Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • Interests:Snow Machines + Snow, winter, snow, winter.
  • Sled:XR1200Gade,RevXP600,Rev550x,S2K380

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

See that's why I was tossing it out there--usually if you make the exhaust more restrictive although it may make a bit more heat in the pipe due to the backpressure it would end up making the sled run rich rather than lean. Rich lowers EGTs. At least that's my understanding of it but that's based on 4 stroke where my knowledge comes from.

Think would be correct with rich condition and lower overall EGT.  If is not a huge pain to make this insert you could briefly try it and monitor to see what happens and if have an issue indication take it out.

Which engine are you thinking of doing this exhaust instert with?

#6 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

Yeah that was kinda my thought. Without cutting the stock exhaust open and seeing its inner workings I won't know how much more or less restrictive it is. I know with 2 strokes it's about more than just how much restrictiveness there is in the system though, as the exhaust pulses have a lot to do with how it performs--moreso with the pipe and stinger than the silencer but I'm sure there is an effect there too.

I can pretty easily see if there is a power gain or difference just by seeing the peak rpms. If they drop, it means power dropped off as I would have to run less pin weight in the clutch to get the same target rpm, and vice versa for a power gain. I just want to make sure I'm not creating a lot more work for myself by being the guinea pig for this idea.

This is going on a 06 500ss which is stock other than boyesen reeds (not rage cages, just reeds) and the MBRP can.

I'll probably cut open and re-pack the silencer with steel wool in the spring as well but definitely not doing any more than this simple experiment in the middle of the season.

Edited by Freestylin', 10 January 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#7 bansheecantride55

bansheecantride55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:anything that goes varrooom.
  • Sled:2003 MXZ 600/2015 BCX/2017 Summit X

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

From  what I understand you will pry gain back what power you lost with the can and make the noise more appealing at the same time. I would think what you are showing will not create to much back pressure to cause heat problems. Would be pretty cool if it worked..    

#8 LRD

LRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3298 posts
  • Interests:Extreme Mountain Snowmobiling
    Dirt Biking
    Bowfishing for Carp
    Target Shooting
    Forex Trading
  • Sled:TNT 636 Mod 360 lb - 15 X 141 X 2.25

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:10 PM

Increasing back pressure in the pipe will increase HP until you have so much pressure that you are pushing to much heat into the piston.

A lot of the cans if not all likely had to little pressure losing hp because they weakened the negative and positive wave action that makes a two stroke with a pipe into the incredible HP producing engines they can be.  That wave action gives us mild supercharging effect.

My thread here goes into it in detail and how I measured actual pipe pressure http://www.dootalk.c...t-450lbs/page-8 I can now monitor it all the time and record on my dash gauge.  The ideal pressure seems to be about 3 to 3.5 psi.  Drag racers get away with a lot more but they only run for 500 ft or so. If you don't run full throttle across a lake for a couple miles can run more pressure etc. 

Anybody that doubts this just subscribe to DynoTech Research.com and you will learn from their SuperFlow dyno how much difference it makes.

#9 MinnDave

MinnDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2254 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing (trout), beer making, kayaking, hiking, DIY repair projects, river cruising
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 900 ACE

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

Not to jump in and take a dump but today..........................

My wife and I drove our stock Renegade 900 ACE sleds on the lake.... with all the ice fishermen.... and ATV's ..... and cross-country skiers... and I gotta believe that when we drove our sleds past them they thought... WTH, I cannot hear those sleds.

I looked at my speedo and it is reading 60 mph. I am thinkin no way??????

Get there folks. Do OUR sport a favor and can the cans!!!!!

#10 seiner

seiner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Sled:'14 summit x

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:12 AM

I'll bet that if you asked to buy a stock can on dootalk, someone will have one for sale cheap.

Take me for instance I have several 800 stockers I'll sell cheap. 

#11 SKI_DOO_MAN_484

SKI_DOO_MAN_484

Can Thread Patrol

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3971 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Bikes, quads, boobies
  • Sled:Sold.....

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:17 AM

This thread gives me hope for the future. You, sir, are ok in my book. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
988fad69-d80e-434a-ab91-b3e4545c2e67.jpg

Head on over to my YouTube channel and click subscribe!! : http://www.youtube.c...er/skiDOOman484

"3 in a row make it go"

2005 MXZ 500ss

2002 Mach Z 800

1987 Arctic Cat Jag 340

#12 x-treme

x-treme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8728 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling,motorcycling,golf
  • Sled:09 1200 GSX LE - 2016 1200 mxzx

•    

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

I have a muffler from an 06 600 SDI that might work. Anybody know for sure if it fits his sled?  The Part numbers are the same except for the last digit but the only difference is the way they have the parts  listed.  Check the Skidoo microfiche.   Both Motors are 600s The only different is the way that the air and fuel are delivered. I will sell at a very reasonable price.

Edited by x-treme, 11 January 2015 - 01:40 AM.

#13 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Thank you for the offer guys. I will consider that if my experiment doesn't pan out. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to blow my engine up in the process. I'm expecting it will have more backpressure than the stock muffler. Once I take a couple pictures you'll understand as it has baffles that protrude into the exhaust pipe. I want to get it done first and see how it performs before I comment any more.

#14 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 25127 posts
  • Interests:1973 Olympic
  • Sled:2007 1000 SDI

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

Increasing back pressure in the pipe will increase HP until you have so much pressure that you are pushing to much heat into the piston.

A lot of the cans if not all likely had to little pressure losing hp because they weakened the negative and positive wave action that makes a two stroke with a pipe into the incredible HP producing engines they can be.  That wave action gives us mild supercharging effect.

My thread here goes into it in detail and how I measured actual pipe pressure http://www.dootalk.c...t-450lbs/page-8 I can now monitor it all the time and record on my dash gauge.  The ideal pressure seems to be about 3 to 3.5 psi.  Drag racers get away with a lot more but they only run for 500 ft or so. If you don't run full throttle across a lake for a couple miles can run more pressure etc. 

Anybody that doubts this just subscribe to DynoTech Research.com and you will learn from their SuperFlow dyno how much difference it makes.

That was a helpful read. We have an 800R in a REV chassis that is showing a significant increase in power with an MBRP can over a stock REV 800 muffler, according to the owner. This is not making me happy at all, since it is way too loud and next door. Now that I know how to measure the pipe pressure I just need a little better details on how to setup my mechanical vacuum/pressure gauge to compare between the two. Do you happen to have any pictures of your setup?

Edited by Daag44, 11 January 2015 - 08:53 AM.

Air/Fuel Ratio for two and four strokes
Air/Fuel Ratio for 1200 with boost
Air/Fuel Ratio is measured through emissions
Wideband and EGT
Wideband readings of Air/Fuel Ratio on a two stroke
600 SDI MY2004 Lean/Hot spot running 6900-7000 rpm @ 40-45% Throttle Opening
800R Cranking Compression
800R Oil Injection / Premix combo
800R Turbo?
900 ACE Turbo - muffler turning red hot
1200 4-TEC Mapping
1200 4-TEC MY 2009 to 2011 Fuel Line issues that could cause a fire
Batteries
Belt Blowers: Overview of UPMICHIGANDER's experience
BUDS 3.3.0 won't connect to SDI
BUDS not connecting to HO or SDI - Try a CanDoo
CVT efficiency - BlueMax
Deep snow intake for XP chassis
Diagnoses
E-TEC 600HO Clutching
E-TEC Oil Pump
E-TEC Dial-A-Jet
E-TEC Engine Management
E-TEC Stator fault codes P1562 or P1563
E-TEC Capacitor Charge Hold Test and Residual Voltage Test
Fuel Issues: Could new Ester type oxygenated additives be deteriorating the Fuel Sender Grommet?
Fuel pump and regulator replacement for ACE, E-TEC and SDI
Gasoline quality and storage
Bad Gas for a Two Stroke - Is it a Myth ?
G4 Clutch Alignment, Engine Movement, Sheave Runout and Clutching
GNR CVT Alignment for the G4
Grip N Rip Clutch Alignment testing
G4 850 Throttle Jerkiness solved with clutching
G4 850 Snappy throttle/clutch engagement
G4 850 pDrive tech - A question of Engineering
G4 850 Tuned Pipe @ 12.6 lbs and Muffler @ 15.4 lbs vs 800R and 800RE muffler weight
Pictures - How to resize and upload to DooTalk
Pipe Pressure testing on a dyno
Pipe Pressure testing from LRD (#1) and (#2)
Pipe Pressure testing results from BRP
Oil versus Fuel consumption
Power at the Crankshaft vs Track - BlueMax
Power Curves: 600 HOE (E-TEC)
Power Curves: 600 vs 800 vs 850 vs 1000 vs 1200
Power Curves: 1000 vs 800 vs 600
Power curves: 800RE 2010.5 to 2016 vs 2016.5 850
Quebec/NY State border crossing
REV Gen1 Gauge Display stuck on "SCALE"
REV Gen1 Volt and Temp Gauge install
REV Gen1 electrical connectors for sensors and MPEM (Multi Purpose Engine Module)
Shortblock or Rebuild?
Ski-Doo Snowmobile Tech Training
Stator testing for E-TEC using a T harness/Bridge
Stator testing for 1200 4-TEC
Stator replacement for a 1200 4-TEC
Suspension Adjustment
Triples - Coolant Pump Assembly
Y-Pipe bolts loosening fix

#15 The County Ripper

The County Ripper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts
  • Sled:2016 cat turbo Limited 137 QS3'S

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

Why not just advertise it ,as trade for stock muffler Im sure there is someone out there looking for a can that would just trade you for the same reason as you...............They want one but don't want to drop the coin on one!!

There are plenty of people out there that don't have the can problem in there area's of riding .......unlike what most on here would like you to believe....JMO

<p>I belong to " TEAM GRAMPA "" Just don't get in my way !!<br><br>
I have a "HEAVY THUMB" Do to "ARTHRITIS"<br><br>
Some times I'm in a hurry because I forget to wear my Depends !!!!</p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users