Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Should It Stay or Go?

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  gpt 
#1 ·
I picked up this one last week locally off of CL, 99 F3 700. Kid said it was running and just quit. He wanted to part it out but I made him an offer and he took it. Isn't beat up too bad. 5xxx miles, newer track with less than 500 miles on it, updated skis, shocks and no major cracks or dents. Now the bad...as I figured it is likely a bent rod (see the oil in last pic) so I am going to need a new/different crank and new rings if not pistons too and I'm sure some small parts. Any idea what something like this would go for in my part of the country (N.E. Wisconsin)?

Also, can anyone tell me what these skis are? I am not at all familiar with the plastics.

Thanks for your input!!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
FIX IT!!!! cheaper than buying a new machine. plus once you repair it you got piece of mind everything is done right. Or you can go buy a running machine your going to have to go over anyways.

#6 ·
If you part that baby out, the snowmobile gods will be angry. Go ahead but be ready. :ninja:

Also, you need to be ready for all the stupid e-mails and phone calls that come with selling parts including the low ballers that never actually buy anything. Perhaps that will be punishment enough and the sled gods will rest in the knowledge that you have indeed paid the price.

I hate purple but dang, this thing makes purple look good. Amazing..

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I have been leaning toward repairing as dismantling goes against my nature. I've got less than $500 USD in the purchase so I think I did pretty good. Problem is just a week prior to finding this one I picked up an 98 F3 600 in very nice condition and Mrs. won't be happy with me keeping two :) After driving both, it is likely I will put them up for sale and I keep whichever one doesn't sell.

#8 ·
Got the top end apart tonight before the Packers put the hurt on the Falcons. The reason for failure was different than my assumptions. Something hard made it's way into the Mag cylinder, put a few minor dings in the head but messed up the piston and cylinder. Unfortunately, it also bent the rod. Am going to need a good piston, cylinder and crank. Anybody?

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

Attachments

#9 ·
I think the crank for the 600 was the same for the 700. Only difference was bore size.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
The 1995 600 cranks were different. Bearing spacing was changed in '96. I believe something changed in like '99 too but not sure.

'95 vs. '96/97.

67d5f08d61e3acd202792d82174a684b.jpg
bb0b46253805cb9a1e31049863e7c66a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yep.

#15 ·
So...life got in the way and more than a year later I am finally putting this thing back together. Problem is I have no before pics and am racking my brain on a few things. Regarding the trigger coil, I assume it goes in the 10 o'clock rather than the 4 o'clock position? Also if you have a clue (or a pic) on how the stator and trigger coil wiring is run that would be very, very helpful. I have two bolt-on wiring clips but can't figure out where the one for the trigger coil goes. This is a 99 F3 700.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.