295 replies to this topic

#1 Grip N Rip

Grip N Rip

Advanced Member

• Sponsors
  • 721 posts
  • Sled:09 600etec Renegade

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

New product for this season, Yamaha Dupont Hyfax with the vespel inserts for skidoo rails. 

Ran these in the Iron Dog 2000 mile race this year and they worked great.  Many miles of very little snow and some miles on dirt.  The Hyfax show very little wear after 2500 miles of abuse. 

Available for sleds 120" to 137".

http://www.gripnripracing.com

#2 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3238 posts
  • Sled:Sledless

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Nice, I ran a set of these for 700 miles on my Yamaha last season and they show NO wear.  Based on my experience OEM sliders would have been half worn for sure.

#3 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4024 posts
  • Sled:2017 1200 Gade

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Yamaha's needed them since their engineers wouldn't fix the problem.  It was a nice band-aid they put on.

Do we really need these for Ski-doos?  OEM are a 1/4 of that price, and last a long time if you have halfway decent snow.

#4 BARK-A-LOUNGER

BARK-A-LOUNGER

Scuttle Buttin' Solo

• DOOCrew
  • 70473 posts
  • Sled:Malcolm... 2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Considering the price of these, and the fact that the oem's last a good long time anyway, and when they do wear they only seem to wear in one spot, and only to a certain point do they wear to that point quickly then seem to last long after that...................

I'll stick with the oem...........besides being Yamaha they must be heavy........ :wink_old:       :laugh_old:

Good luck with them though GnR.........I hope peoples opinion on here like mine don't hinder your sales of them......

2015 MXZ-X 800 e-tec........

100/290 Primary Spring.... 26/45 Gearing....

120" Ripsaw Track.... 84 Studs.... Gates Belt

Sleds name is Malcolm ......

#5 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9810 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

Cool, I was wondering when these would be available for other brands. My 2012 has 3,400 miles on the original slides. I'm selling it at Haydays otherwise I would be ordering a set. Whoa, I just noticed the price, $135 for a pair of slides... You could buy 3 sets of OEM slides for less than that. How long are these things supposed to last compared to the stockers? At that price they better last for the life of the machine. But I suppose, lets just say they last 3 times longer, then it would be close to even money but way less hassle saving you 2 installs. But on the other hand it's a good idea to yank your skid every so often anyways and inspect / replace idler wheel bearings etc...

#6 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

I wonder about the speed and mileage increase, you think there really is any?  If there is, that might be worth $135  :shrug

#7 Grip N Rip

Grip N Rip

Advanced Member

• Sponsors
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

I'm sure they won't be for everyone but certain applications and conditions they are an improvement.

As far as speed and mileage I haven't tested that but will this season.  I'm thinking this may open up the option of removing some of the indler wheels in the skid.  I've seen in radar runs were a sled was faster without idler wheels if there was sufficient lube for the slides.  This was with slides that were new and not all worn out around the wheels like they will be after some miles on them.  Removing wheels will save weight so may be small gains made there too.

All speculation right now until testing can be done this season. 

#8 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9810 posts
  • Sled:18 MXZ-X 850 & 18 MXZ Sport 600 ACE

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Looks like they do provide reduced friction for a 5-10 kph (or 3-6 mph) gain in top speed plus improved mileage. (according to this Yamaha rep anyways)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yIwPKGhB-ho

#9 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6413 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

It would seem to be a better option for the longer tracks, since they are more likely to run a taller lug.

#10 RA800-13

RA800-13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:anything with an engine
  • Sled:'13 Adreneline 800 '02 RMK 800

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

Are these similar in design and material to the "Hyper-Fax" slides? I've used them on a couple of my previous sleds and noticed a marked improvement in the way the sled coasts when off power which I think the e-tec could use. The e-tec is the closest 2 stroke sled in engine braking to a 4 stroke I've ever ridden and if the slides make that significant difference in the coast, they've got to improve all aspects of performance; plus they last a LOT longer than oem slides

#11 rub it in

rub it in

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:boating, snowmobile
  • Sled:2 X 2018 Renegade Enduro 900 Ace

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Never had problems with any slides ever always run with my scratchers always down 12,000km still good and use blizzer ice scratchers with carbide tips the blizzer has two bolts never comes  loose is my preferred choice.

#12 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Looks like they do provide reduced friction for a 5-10 kph (or 3-6 mph) gain in top speed plus improved mileage. (according to this Yamaha rep anyways)

Considering Yamaha is still in the snowmobile business, I'm guessing those reps lie a lot

#13 Nickski

Nickski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

If I was guaranteed 3 mph, I'd spend the money in a heartbeat

#14 groo

groo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6413 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedion SE 1200

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

I didn't make it very far into the vid, but the worn example has thousands of miles of life left. Yamahas wear down to about there real quick, then the wheels take over and the wear basically stops.

#15 Grip N Rip

Grip N Rip

Advanced Member

• Sponsors
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

They come long enough for a 144" track on a Yamaha but I'm not sure if they will work for a 146 skidoo rail yet.  Will have to find a sled to see if they are long enough.

On our 600 etec Iron Dog sleds we had Ripsaw II 15"x128"x1.25" two ply tracks.  On the sea ice when it was smooth and icy so pretty much ideal top speed conditions our sleds hit 113 mph on the speedo.  We were over 100 for a long time on ice with the occasional snow patch so not much for slide lube and the sleds never dragged down like when stock hyfax heat up.

I don't think the stock hyfax would have kept that speed for long but can't say for sure because we didn't do comparison tests in those conditions. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users