SC5 to rMotion swap with pics and info - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

SC5 to rMotion swap with pics and info

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts
  • Interests:SHOCKS, WHAT ELSE?....DRINKING COFFE AND BS'ING ABOUT SLEDS!
  • Sled:20 expert 154/pair 17 gades

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have seen some people ask about putting a 120" rMotion in place of a 120" sc5 but havnt seen any real info on dooing this. I have pondered it for the last 2 years and now went forward dooing so. The wifes 2012 TNT sc5 tunnel was equipped with a PCX-rMotion race skid the last 2 seasons. It was a big improvement over the SC5 in the chatter and rough terain and is an easy bolt in deal unlike the consumer Rmotion. I never thought this would be very hard to do but honestly didnt think it would be this easy either.

I did a write up on the sc3 to sc4 conversion several years ago and it seemed to light a fire in people even today to do so on their rev's. That project has alot more room for error than this one here. With the SC5 to RM swap I got looking at the rivet layout on the tunnels and front arm plated area between the 2 sleds and it became very obvious of the pattern between the 2 sleds. BRP used the same plate where the front arm area is on either side of the tunnel but utilized different holes for the rmotion or sc5 and even the tmotion when i compare all these in the shop. its all of matter of which hole you choose, no front arm measuring required to drill the hole, the blank is already there.

With regard to the front arm hole relocation. You will find an oval shaped plate inside the tunnel which will get removed via 2 hardened rivets and relocated to the new holes. these "blanks" as i call them are recess' in the plate not used. go look at your sled and you will see what i am talking about.

The rear arm bracket on the sc5 i didnt feel comfortable reusing as the skid bolt hole for the rmotion is farther forward of the centerline of the highest rivet in the  upside down V pattern at the rear of the tunnel. the sc5 rear skid bolt is on center of that V pattern. if we were to drill a new hole 1/2" or so ahead of the existing i would think that compromises the strength of the hole. sure, you could fill the hole, grind flush, etc if you are good with aluminum welding or plate it for strength (outside-face) and use a longer rear arm bolt?  OR, just spend 20 or so per bracket from an RM 120 sled and have a clean install for the next guy (my idea). 

SO, get a good grinder, cutting wheel, etc and grind flush all the rivets from the inside of the tunnel and the bottom side of the running boards. some will pop out with a punch, others need a pilot hole (1/16) and drill out 3/16 after. Use quality drill bits and dont rush it or your bit will walk and egg the hole out!

Use quality black head steel rivets. I will get the shank draw of them posted here when we are done.

all holes in the rear arm V pattern in the sc5 tunnel line up with the rmotion bracket and all but one in the footbard hole pattern can be reused. plug any holes left over with rivets or those plastic tunnel darts you already see randomly on your tunnel. those can be had in many hardware store pull out bins appropriate to hole size. black plugs for $1 or so per piece.

its straight forward with some thinking and tweaking. i will have more pics when it's done tommorrow after a few dirt shocks get rebuilt and on their way.

i'll have to get a little creative plugging the old sc5 front arm hole but i have a few ideas to make that look clean. strength isnt an issue with the adjacent holes as that oval plate i mentioned earlier is on the backside of the tunnel.

for those wondering why i am dooing this? I wanted a 120 and 137 rmotion on hand for next year and already have a tmotion summit. I sold my 12 xrs last year, no 120 RM this past season to test with other than a freinds. I have some testing to do on new shocks and need all 3 sleds available. the wife gets an upgrade and I get................satisfaction :wub:

The freeride/gade/137 rmotion would be done the same way with regard to the front hole. I have to get a sc5 gade in here to compare to my freeride 137 for rear arm bracket area. could be a similar type of install?

Attached Images

• 0601141815b.jpg
  • 0527141716.jpg

#2 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

:rolleyes_old:

Attached Images

• SC5.jpg
  • SS.jpg

#3 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

I am installing a NON quick adjust rMotion. If you are dooing the QA setup thats no problem. trace out the opening needed and cut it out. any imperfections would be covered by the QA housing anyways 

Attached Images

• 0601141817.jpg
  • 0601141824.jpg
  • 0601141838.jpg

#4 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

see the scratch lines to the right of the existin large skid bolt hole? thats the area the RM hole would be if we use the sc5 bracket. The RM tunnel brackets have a different design to them there, swept forward more

Attached Images

• 0601141838.jpg

#5 z800xp

z800xp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Sled:xp800mxz

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

very cool !!!

#6 Trippy

Trippy

Armchair Interweb Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102508 posts
  • Interests:Sticking forks in outlets
    Making PBJ sammiches for the crew
    Polluting the woods with Klotz
  • Sled:Summit G4 165x3 w/ Boondocker turbo

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I am liking where this is going..................... keep us informed Ian.

:biggrin_old:  :biggrin_old:  :biggrin_old:

#7 DooDown87

DooDown87

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17438 posts
  • Sled:900 Blizzard, 1200 MXZ X

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

Nice write up Ian. What did you with the pcx?

#8 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

a lucky guy out west gets an sc5 bolt in upgrade

#9 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

all done!  came out very clean i think? the old front arm hole will get plugged with the right size black tunnel dart once i source it. roughly 8hrs on the project, 1/3rd of it think time while working and some extra measuring. if i were to do it again i would say 4hrs max from skid removal to new skid in and everything tightened up

roughly 1.50" more ride heigth at rear bumper VS sc5 and pcx and a good 2" of rear travel. 

the rmotion was from a 13 tnt. i had the rails and dog leg and some other parts done gloss black.  the lower rear arm stop next to LH coupler block on this is a round bar VS the 12 claw style (thicker profile) and the 14 freeride i have, same claw style. I see a little more UP travel at the rear bumper VS the 12 mxzx 120" here in the shop. all due to the different arm stop on this 13 RM skid.

one would expect to pay 600 or better for a bare bones rmotion with 1k being the average price for a X rmotion 120 with shocks i have seen. give it a year or 2, those prices will drop with more of these being parted out. 

Attached Images

• 0602141820.jpg
  • 0602141820a.jpg
  • 0602141820b.jpg

#10 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

:ninja:

Attached Images

• 0602141824.jpg
  • 0602141821.jpg

#11 mxzwild

mxzwild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
  • Sled:ski-doo 2009 GTX 500ss, 2005 gtx 500ss

•    

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:24 AM

Subscribed.  Love this stuff.  I am wondering about the 137 sc5 to Rmotion also. 

#12 RuppNitro400

RuppNitro400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Sled:1972 Rupp Nitro 400

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Looks good Ian.  Could you put one in an '06 800x? 

#13 mxzwild

mxzwild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2117 posts
  • Sled:ski-doo 2009 GTX 500ss, 2005 gtx 500ss

•    

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Should be able to if you have the distance from drive Axel center line to front arm hole and center distance from front arm to rear arm mount hole

#14 Monster Performance

Monster Performance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10750 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

you know, i was thinking this same thing. i looked at my sc4 specs from seevral years ago.

sc4

23.435 +/- .100"  center to center of holes for skid mounting

rmotion 120

23.500 +/-100

darn close!!

with 10t rev EXTRO drivers i wonder if they could hit the rails or darn close. there are ways around that too. if i get an sc4 here in the shop for shock work this fall i will try it. the .100" shouldnt make a bind situation, will be close but even then thats not too hard to slighlty mod rear arm hole 

with 9t std black rev/zx drivers i'd bet some money that would be an easy install. a custom bushing made to offset the hole a slight bit rearward and done.

by memory the rail tips on the XP with stock drivers ahead of them have darn near same clearance as the sc4 did to the drivers. the key measurements to me is

**how far from the running boards to the center of front arm hole and to center of driveshaft.

**how far from highest point in tunnel (drop) to center of rear arm hole

rmotion by design adds ski pressure so a rev with one could steer even heavier. the weight placement under the hood of the rev isnt as central as the xp/xs chassis. front shocks being very short on 06/07 revs could cause an issue, may be best for 18" shocks to get transfer rear easier than 17's and a slammed front end.

#15 RuppNitro400

RuppNitro400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Sled:1972 Rupp Nitro 400

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

Interesting.  I've always kinda wanted to raise the front to the '05 and earlier ride height.  What's all this gonna cost me?  LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users