Aftermarket Cylinder Head1111.70%
Port Polish77.45%
Dual ring Pistons1414.89%
Y pipe77.45%
Tune pipe77.45%
Big bore22.13%
Fuel Programmer BoonDocker or other88.51%
Nothing3840.43%
Were you happy with the outcome/ recommend a change?
Yes5690.32%
No69.68%

#2 ·
I am investigating options for my 600Sdi mill I plan on putting in my 500ss chassis. I want reliable power and no headaches.

So who has a good running 600SDi with more than stock power I would like to hear about your good experiences.

I realize this is a Fuel injected engine and I plan to keep it that way along with the stock silencer.

I also recognize the easiest improvements come from clutching and reeds plan on dooing those for sure.

Please comment on Good working set ups and what has worked for you.

Also for reference the sled is a 121" and staying that way.

Thanks for the input

Andrew

#5 ·
I'm so tempted to try to get it running even better.

You think I should avoid aftermarket reeds/ clutching even?
I would say clutching and boyesen rage cages I doo not have experience with them but is kinda a no brainer no rotting boot

Reactions: 199Mods
#6 ·
I think a quality porting would benefit this engine also. I can't imagine no one has one or had one. 700 kit I could see being risky/pricy but if I had Rs600 porting and a rktek head I'd be clutching for more HP.

#12 ·
I'd love a 770 SDI. Doo I use a 800 crank or just top end? I prefer the rev happy oversquare of a 500ss. If I can find an 800sdi top end will it bolt on center to center of the 600ho case. I can machine the top of the crank case.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am investigating options for my 600Sdi mill I plan on putting in my 500ss chassis. I want reliable power and no headaches.

So who has a good running 600SDi with more than stock power I would like to hear about your good experiences.

I realize this is a Fuel injected engine and I plan to keep it that way along with the stock silencer.

I also recognize the easiest improvements come from clutching and reeds plan on dooing those for sure.

Please comment on Good working set ups and what has worked for you.

Also for reference the sled is a 121" and staying that way.

Thanks for the input

Andrew
I am planning to go the opposite direction and swap my SDI out for a 700 or 800 carb from a less desirable ZX chassis donor. Have you really investigated the depth of the swap you propose? I only ask this because I know what I would need to do to swap OUT the SDI, so the only way I can imagine swapping IN an SDI would be to start from a donor sled and you don't mention that as part of your plans.

There are a lot of very expensive parts that are specific to the SDI, and even specific to specific years of the SDI. The wire harness, fuel tank, fuel pump(s), ECU, stator, the many sensors, etc, etc are all pretty expensive to buy piece by piece which is why I would say you'd need a donor sled to make this project doable.

So unless you find a good running but crashed SDI for a donor, you are essentially looking at buying the sled you want to build, as your donor. AND since your concern is going fast, you'd probably be happier in the long run with a performance oriented X package MXZ which has better shocks, chassis and other odds and ends that your current GSX doesn't have and you'll probably want.

IMO it sounds to me that you'd be far better off in the long run by selling your current sled and buying the sled you really want, and then start doing the typical preventative mods, and then clutching, shocks, gearing and track'ing etc etc.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Y-pipe and pipe woke up the mid range a bit which was nice. But If I had to do it again I doubt I would.

Clutching made the biggest difference.

a decent trail port won't hurt anything.

Other than that I would just leave it alone. For a consumer 600 it has plenty of power.
I had my 08-SDI 600 (Ported)cleaned up by Dave Trygstad he did rave cut and His wide rings .I'M VERY happy with it. I just put a 163 under it and re clutched it It is a real fun sled to ride .I told him I didn't want to run a fuel controller so he kept it mild I just run 20% av it hasn't missed a beat .

#17 ·
I am planning to go the opposite direction and swap my SDI out for a 700 or 800 carb from a less desirable ZX chassis donor. Have you really investigated the depth of the swap you propose? I only ask this because I know what I would need to do to swap OUT the SDI, so the only way I can imagine swapping IN an SDI would be to start from a donor sled and you don't mention that as part of your plans.

There are a lot of very expensive parts that are specific to the SDI, and even specific to specific years of the SDI. The wire harness, fuel tank, fuel pump(s), ECU, stator, the many sensors, etc, etc are all pretty expensive to buy piece by piece which is why I would say you'd need a donor sled to make this project doable.

So unless you find a good running but crashed SDI for a donor, you are essentially looking at buying the sled you want to build, as your donor. AND since your concern is going fast, you'd probably be happier in the long run with a performance oriented X package MXZ which has better shocks, chassis and other odds and ends that your current GSX doesn't have and you'll probably want.

IMO it sounds to me that you'd be far better off in the long run by selling your current sled and buying the sled you really want, and then start doing the typical preventative mods, and then clutching, shocks, gearing and track'ing etc etc.
I should have explained my neighbor hit a tree with my dads GSX limited that will be the SDI Donor. I have EVERYTHING to make my sled run an SDI as it did in the previous rev temperature and fuel gauge even.

My GSX I wont sell because it has rebuilt X package shocks C&A pros and a Backcountry 1.75" track and it has a virgin nun.

I am happy with the chassis I just want some more power since I have a SDI just sitting there. Being a gear-head I am always interested power ups.

I appreciate your input and concern

Andrew

#18 ·
I had my 08-SDI 600 (Ported)cleaned up by Dave Trygstad he did rave cut and His wide rings .I'M VERY happy with it. I just put a 163 under it and re clutched it It is a real fun sled to ride .I told him I didn't want to run a fuel controller so he kept it mild I just run 20% av it hasn't missed a beat in over .
You timber sled guys don't leave anything stock it seems.. I like that. I am not put off by the idea of controller what so ever.

Was the 20% av gas because of your altitude? I am at sea level certainly not higher than 1000m where I ride. For trail riding I want to run Regular high test 91 octane.

#19 ·
how much damage from hitting the tree? I've swapped a 800ho out of a wrecked rev into a 600sdi chassis and it was a lot of work. fuel tanks, gauges, harness, controls, etc. you'll have both sleds down to bare chassis.

your better off buying a nun and a couple arms and a bumper whatever your donor sled needs than to completely strip it.

#20 ·
I should have explained my neighbor hit a tree with my dads GSX limited that will be the SDI Donor. I have EVERYTHING to make my sled run an SDI as it did in the previous rev temperature and fuel gauge even.

My GSX I wont sell because it has rebuilt X package shocks C&A pros and a Backcountry 1.75" track and it has a virgin nun.

I am happy with the chassis I just want some more power since I have a SDI just sitting there. Being a gear-head I am always interested power ups.

I appreciate your input and concern

Andrew
Sounds like you're in a good spot for the swap out.

I am just so jaded with mine and have become very anti-SDI I can't imagine wanting to bring that complexity into a sled that doesn't have it. I HATE my SDI.

#21 ·
You timber sled guys don't leave anything stock it seems.. I like that. I am not put off by the idea of controller what so ever.

Was the 20% av gas because of your altitude? I am at sea level certainly not higher than 1000m where I ride. For trail riding I want to run Regular high test 91 octane.
I only run av because are fuel in are small community is old and not the best it's claimed a lot of engines so it's just use it ''cheap insurance'' .I've ran it on pump premium at 2200 feet with no problems.

#22 ·
You want more power get a 800. You want reliability leave the SDI stock. SDI sleds are not the best candidates for motor mods.
I guess I could buy a 800HO/ptec and sell the 500ss and 600SDI to pay for the conversion. I doo not want too doo that.

I have a 600sdi and I want to optimize it. If I wanted a carb sled it would be a 700HO hands down.

#23 ·
Wellll if you can find some 800 sdi cylinder you could whip up a 770 sdi! I'd like to build one some day
Doo you have any more information on this? Know someone who might know about dooing this?
Even if I leave it stock I find researching theses avenues helpful in learning more about theses sleds and how they work.

#25 ·
for the 770 check out http://www.dmax.ca/ also lots of info if you search in the race sled section. I'm not sure on the availiblity of 800sdi cylinders though I think they were just a one year model.

#26 ·
Dmax 770 looks killer! 150hp stage 1 WOW. There is lots of reports on people using them in the race forum compared to what I have found.

It would be a lot of money to put in a ten year old sled. I could upgrade to a Xp for that money.

100s hours of research asking peoples opinions $0

Small hardware and new tools $20

Beer for labor $500

Pistons Gaskets and machining $2500

Shipping $200

Clutching $300

Beating your father with his old sled PRICELESS

what to doo what to doo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.