New to this any suggestions appreciated - REV Chassis - Mountain Sleds - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

New to this any suggestions appreciated

09 800r summit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dirtydoo81

dirtydoo81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:All things adrenaline ;)
  • Sled:2009 800R P-TEC 154" Summit

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

Recently came across a decent deal and got into sledding. I'm totally new to all this but I enjoy it a lot! My machine is a 09 800r p-tek 154". It only had 800 km on it when I purchased it a couple weeks ago and now I'm sitting at about 1250km with sore arms lol. Is there anything I should do or be aware of with this thing? First thing I did was change the plugs and check the chain case oil. When I first ran it there was quite a bit of oil coming out of the donut right before the exhaust, called the previous owner and he said just go out and open er up that should clear it up and it did.
Also I have a hell of a time carving with this thing, I counter steer, lean into the turn and gun it but she don't wanna do it. I'm trying this in 2' powder. Is it cause I'm a light weight (~135#)? Anyhow I love this thing she rips and supplies me with plenty of adrenaline ;). My buddy with his m1000 even had trouble keeping up
My wife also got a '09 600ho etec 150 km on this one. Any input would be appreciated.image.jpg I know the second pic is kind of a bad parking job. That was the first time now I park them out of the powder and I cover them.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

When in doubt, gun it!!

#2 OldSoul

OldSoul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Sled:2004 Summit 800

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

Make sure the sled suspension is set up for a guy of your build. Look under the sled and you'll see grease zerks along the skid (track suspension) pivot points maybe hit those with a grease gun just in case the last guy hadn't. Inspect your belt for any bad wear signs and ensure it's in good shape, and if the clutch faces are dirty give them a scrub with some brake clean and steel wool. 

I've only ridden a few XP's but I find them hard to lay over, and I know lots of other guys say the same. However, if you're suspension is set up right for you all you have to do is put in enough seat time and you'll find the handling characteristics become more second-nature. 

B)

#3 irondogger13

irondogger13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Sled:summit 880

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

i have had a few different summit xps (08-12) if you simply disconnect the sway bar that will help you and is free.  It makes it tougher to ride on the trail though.  The best mod for the money is the s 36 front end it's 600 and it is a complete new narrow frontend like on the newer summits it also includes 2 new shocks.  It will completely change your sled for powder riding

#4 Highmarkdooman

Highmarkdooman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:sledding,wrenchin ,offroading
  • Sled:04 highmark summit x 156"-16"x3"

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

add the s-36" front end kit and sway bar disconnects(makes carving simple). Remember lots of countersteer required when carving XP's. Suspension setup helps allot too.

04 summit X highmark 151" 800HO         
BMP pipe, y-pipe & can                                  
BMP/SLP high alt head                                  
Boyesen Reeds(power pack)                         
Oil Injection Delete(440x parts)                     
Clutch Kit                                                                                            
SLP venting                                              
Secondary Floated                                     
07 800r airbox                                                                                  
footwell/sidepanel mod                                
sidepanel/airbox mod                                   
Carbon Fibre Hood                                   
Rev snobunje mod                                         
Lead Dog light                                                
Headlight Delete                                           
Carb Spring mod
Post Forward mod                                      
Trimmed Windsheild
10" Smitty's Riser
VEI D&R
Skid relocate
Custom "add-on" Drop Brackets
Mainway Solutions a-arm bushings
SLP offset axle
9" plastic rear wheels
8" upper idlers
wheels inside rails
Avid 7T 3"P drivers
Camo CE 156"-16"X3"
AI 37" A-arms(Black PC)
ski-doo tunnel bag
440X Nun/Braces
VEI mod tunnel 159"(Orange PC)

#5 westrip

westrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Dual Sport Bikes, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes, White Water Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Skiing, Snowboard, Mountaineering, Carpentry, Mechanics, Music, Travel
  • Sled:14 Summit X 174-3"2007 Summit XRS800R159

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Use a teflon pot srubber to clean your clutch faces. steel wool will remove aluminum , one stubborn spot and you have a groove in your clutch face after scrubbing with Steel wool (Hard Metal) on Aluminum (Soft Metal) . Soften your front springs and remove your sway bar connecter on 1 side, when you try to compress the 1 side the sway bar connects to the other side and compresses it also. In essence you are compressing 2 sides @ once. Sway Bar disconnect allows you to compress 1 side @ a time and easier to Counter steer. Moo Moo! If your sled wheelies easy, shorten the limiter strap on the front of your rear suspension, lessens the attack angle, better for climbing and more ski contact on acceleration!

Pin 2 Win!.

:RevDude:

#6 dirtydoo81

dirtydoo81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Right on, thanks guys for all the pointers! I always caught on quick when it came to motor sports and just driving in general so this just had me a bit frustrated. But then again it's been a long time since I've tried something new lol. Maybe I'll disconnect the sway bars later and see how that goes. We mainly fly across open fields, ditches and playing in snowdrifts. Hopefully the mountains next season. So is it still safe without sway bars at higher speeds? Like 80-100 km/h (50-60 mph) and the odd 140kmh (85mph). Really thinking bout this s-36 suspension. Can't afford right now though. Maybe I'll find a guy who removed it off his new sled on kijiji. Compatible?

Also this crank bearing thing, if I make sure there is no grease/oil on the inside of my clutch before every ride should I sweat about it still?
When in doubt, gun it!!

#7 Highmarkdooman

Highmarkdooman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:sledding,wrenchin ,offroading
  • Sled:04 highmark summit x 156"-16"x3"

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Yes S-36 kit is all the same XP or XM, 08-14 if you find it its compatible. BTW ive been looking on Calgary kijiji for a while and have not seen a used kit for really any better price than what the dealer wants new. The S-36 kit is pretty hard to find when you live right next to the mountains.

04 summit X highmark 151" 800HO         
BMP pipe, y-pipe & can                                  
BMP/SLP high alt head                                  
Boyesen Reeds(power pack)                         
Oil Injection Delete(440x parts)                     
Clutch Kit                                                                                            
SLP venting                                              
Secondary Floated                                     
07 800r airbox                                                                                  
footwell/sidepanel mod                                
sidepanel/airbox mod                                   
Carbon Fibre Hood                                   
Rev snobunje mod                                         
Lead Dog light                                                
Headlight Delete                                           
Carb Spring mod
Post Forward mod                                      
Trimmed Windsheild
10" Smitty's Riser
VEI D&R
Skid relocate
Custom "add-on" Drop Brackets
Mainway Solutions a-arm bushings
SLP offset axle
9" plastic rear wheels
8" upper idlers
wheels inside rails
Avid 7T 3"P drivers
Camo CE 156"-16"X3"
AI 37" A-arms(Black PC)
ski-doo tunnel bag
440X Nun/Braces
VEI mod tunnel 159"(Orange PC)

#8 dirtydoo81

dirtydoo81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Yes S-36 kit is all the same XP or XM, 08-14 if you find it its compatible. BTW ive been looking on Calgary kijiji for a while and have not seen a used kit for really any better price than what the dealer wants new. The S-36 kit is pretty hard to find when you live right next to the mountains.

Cool thx man. I guess I'll save up and convince the wife lol
When in doubt, gun it!!

#9 irondogger13

irondogger13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Sled:summit 880

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

it's under $40 for a sway bar quick disconnect that way you can go back and forth easy.  For the trail with the sway bar disconnected it's harder to control and mainly takes alot more energy.  the s 36 is actually about $1200 in parts if you bought them separate that why it's hard to get it used cheaper.  when you doo the s36 get oil lite bushing kit another $40 purchase that is well worth it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users