#1 Mach1Newfie

Mach1Newfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Sled:2008 Yamaha Phazer

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hey guys hoping to be a new member of the rev category this week! Stepping up from the ole zx but I was hoping you guys could help me out this will be my first rev and mountain sled. Im going to look at it tomorrow it's a 2007 summit 800r just wondering on some pros and cons of this machine and anything in particular to look out for other then the usual. I normally do just flat land riding but if everything works out I will be making a few trips to the mountains next year. This seems like a good deal to me and its a whole new world compared to a short track zx chassis.
Braap

#2 boostjunkie

boostjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:New addition of 06 440/800
  • Sled:05 800 mxz, 07 summit 800r xrs

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

I'm not new to the rev chassis but this season I purchased a 07 summit xrs 800. The main thing for these sleds is the crank. Ask if the bottom end was rebuilt and if so how many miles did it have when it was rebuilt. If it hasn't been rebuilt and has more than I'd say 1000-2000 miles I'd say it's a good one. The cases for the 07 800r had tolerance issues causing premature crank failure. Mine was one of those sleds. It had 1900 miles and the second crank had been broken. So I replaced the whole engine with an 08 800r. It didn't have the same issues. So far I have 200 miles of riding this year and no problems. It's a great sled with break neck speed to 80 mph but that's it. Pretty much anything else that is considered a problem with these sleds I consider to be very minor for what you get out of it. I point the skis where I want to go and the sled does it with style. If it's a good deal and you can determine there are no issues with the cases I say buy it, cause they really are one of the best on the snow.

" I'd burn my Bombe before I'd let a yamaha tow it"

#3 Highmarkdooman

Highmarkdooman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:sledding,wrenchin ,offroading
  • Sled:04 highmark summit x 156"-16"x3"

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Make sure that engine has been rebuilt by reputable dealer or just has very low M/KM.

04 summit X highmark 151" 800HO         
BMP pipe, y-pipe & can                                  
BMP/SLP high alt head                                  
Boyesen Reeds(power pack)                         
Oil Injection Delete(440x parts)                     
Clutch Kit                                                                                            
SLP venting                                              
Secondary Floated                                     
07 800r airbox                                                                                  
footwell/sidepanel mod                                
sidepanel/airbox mod                                   
Carbon Fibre Hood                                   
Rev snobunje mod                                         
Lead Dog light                                                
Headlight Delete                                           
Carb Spring mod
Post Forward mod                                      
Trimmed Windsheild
10" Smitty's Riser
VEI D&R
Skid relocate
Custom "add-on" Drop Brackets
Mainway Solutions a-arm bushings
SLP offset axle
9" plastic rear wheels
8" upper idlers
wheels inside rails
Avid 7T 3"P drivers
Camo CE 156"-16"X3"
AI 37" A-arms(Black PC)
ski-doo tunnel bag
440X Nun/Braces
VEI mod tunnel 159"(Orange PC)

#4 Mach1Newfie

Mach1Newfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys he did say the top end was re-built by a professional mechanic with a receipt to prove it. So I take it I should be in the clear for the faulty crank? He also mentioned it has a few hundred miles on it since the rebuild so it should be close to being broke in as well am I correct?
Braap

#5 old hat doo

old hat doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2404 posts
  • Sled:SKIDOO

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

I may have too many tools at my convienience but i always cold compression test engines before i would buy sled.

#6 old hat doo

old hat doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2404 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys he did say the top end was re-built by a professional mechanic with a receipt to prove it. So I take it I should be in the clear for the faulty crank? He also mentioned it has a few hundred miles on it since the rebuild so it should be close to being broke in as well am I correct?

not neccasarely, my friend brought his sled to dealer for top end(pistons,rings) and they told him his crank should be rebuilt too. he said "no i will just sell sled anyway".

id hate to be the guy too get that Poo

#7 westrip

westrip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Dual Sport Bikes, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes, White Water Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Skiing, Snowboard, Mountaineering, Carpentry, Mechanics, Music, Travel
  • Sled:14 Summit X 174-3"2007 Summit XRS800R159

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I bought an 07 2 years ago for $4000. rode it 500km then crank went @ 2800 miles. New topend and crank was $1200 and I did all the assembly. Brand new 800R Summit under $10,000 with flex track and s36 front on an on. Buy new with a 3 year bumper to bumper! wish I did. now I am stuck with the old stuff.

#8 Mach1Newfie

Mach1Newfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

I would love to buy new but 15 to 20 thousand for a new sled that I'd probably get 500kms a season on is a bit much for me.
Braap

#9 old hat doo

old hat doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2404 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

Any used sled may have hidden damage. I bought my 04Rev & 08XP two years ago and the Rev had lots of hidden issues including engine(somehow compression test said good).

The XP definetly needed a new top end when brought home from dealer used. luckily they paid for the parts and i did the labour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users