10 replies to this topic

#1 sharp-doo

sharp-doo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:03 ski doo mxz 600

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

I have a 2005 mxz 550f that keeps blowing light bulbs, warning lights all come on, and speedometer quits working. After first occurrence, i replaced the voltage regulator and replaced both bulbs. Seemed to work but after about 20 miles high beam blew out and then low beams burned out after another 5 miles. The replacement regulator was a used part from a shop that couldn't guarantee its condition so I am now stumped with what to try next. Is it likely the regulator or is it possibly a stator problem. Any thoughts on how to test? Girlfriend is getting frustrated!!

#2 Mach2nh

Mach2nh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Sled:03 600HO Rev

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Did you put a volt meter on it before replacing anything? Did you see high voltage? Have you tested it now?  This needs to be done before you do anything else really.

#3 sharp-doo

sharp-doo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

We checked voltage at bulb connector initially and it was about 8 volts. Is this the correct location to check? What should we get? It is a manual start.

#4 hubbesnubbe

hubbesnubbe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:Ski doo mxz 550x -07

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

i have almost the same problem on my sled (mxz 550x -07) but i only got 4 volt when its over 3500rpm. so would like to get some answers...

#5 robinap

robinap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Interests:700 revs rock
  • Sled:700 revs rule period

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Replace  with a new regulator, make sure its grounded , problem solved .  I been here before.was same on wifes 550, good luck :smile_old:

#6 hubbesnubbe

hubbesnubbe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:Ski doo mxz 550x -07

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

changed the regulator but still the same problem....

#7 mbret2004

mbret2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9148 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, exercise of any type, cars, small engines, my kids, home improvement projects, volunteer work, my faith.
  • Sled:2015 XR 1200

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

You need to make sure and ohm the stator and do the output test as per the manual. The electrical plugs coming off the stator connecting to the regulator plugs need to be clean of corrosion, dirt, ect. Make sure you have a good bare metal surface, clean to aid in grounding the regulator if need be.

The regulator is checked under electrical load, at a given RPM. You could in fact have a bad regulator even if it's output voltage is good. It has to be able to handle the electrical load put on it from the sleds accessories and maintain a minimal voltage.

A shop manual will have the info you need. I might be able to help depending on what info you need.
USAF, Ret, E-8
1979-2004

#8 sharp-doo

sharp-doo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

I haven't pulled the sled back apart and checked the voltage yet but am ordering a new VR and will post once I check the voltage with current VR and try replacing with new one.  Thx

#9 sharp-doo

sharp-doo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Finally replaced the Voltage Regulator with the new one and we were getting about 6-6.5 volts at the headlight connectors depending on RPM.  Replaced the bulbs, put sled back together, and rode 75 miles with no issues so that definitely seems to have been the problem.  Thx everyone for posting. 

#10 gibbywmu

gibbywmu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Sled:2020 BC XRS 850, 2016 Blizzard 800 Etec

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

and................Sharp-Doo would like to thank gibbywmu for all of the much needed help! Haha.  Thanks for helping everyone. I think this issue has been solved since he bought the OEM replacement VR.

Posted Image

#11 Doocroft

Doocroft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Sled:2007 Skidoo Blizzard 600SDI

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

It's so tempting to buy used VRs since the OEMs are so expensive. Sometime you just have to bite the bullet !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users