What 'Doo Ya Think? Freestyle 550F Build Inside... - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

What 'Doo Ya Think? Freestyle 550F Build Inside...

Freestyle 550F 136

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, snowboarding, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sports...Anything with an engine, definitely.
  • Sled:2006 Ski Doo MXZ 500ss

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hey all,

My project on a budget is coming to a bit of a close and I'm looking for some feedback on potential areas of improvement and just your overall take on how the sled came out. I'm working with a limited budget so I did what I could on the cheap or for free but put cash where I felt it was best spent. Here's a quick breakdown of what I have and what has been done, my expectations, and a few pictures:

2007 Ski Doo Freestyle 550F, 3,500 miles, third owner.

Over the last few years I've added the following:

-19T top gear (same as Freestyle Backcountry)

-Goodwin Performance 160/290 primary clutch spring (engages around 4k rpm, pulls really hard--keeps up with my buddy's switchback 600 until about 45-50)

-Camoplast Intense 136x15x1.5" track

-TracksUSA 121-136 rail extensions

-Tunnel Extension from Buffy340

-Kimpex white hyfax

-Inner rear wheel mod

-Removed factory anti-sway bar

-Swapped stock riser out for a Powermadd 5" riser with custom 1" spacer block

-Powermadd/Rox handguards

-Tinted stock windshield (and I have a Skandic windshield for the really cold days)

-Sylvania Cool Blue headlight bulbs

-LED trailer light for brake light

-Hood in 2008 Freestyle graphics

-Side covers custom freehand graphics by my wife and myself (I borrowed the "freestyle" words from a youtube video)

-Boyesen 555 Reeds

-Pilot 6.9 skis

-Rev A-Arm guards and skid plate

-Goldfinger Lefty Throttle system

-Ski Doo front shock covers

I also did the following for weight savings and heat evacuation:

-Pulled plastic portion of clutch cover

-Ported clutch side cover (put 2 layers of window screen behind it, hot-glued offset to help keep snow out)

-Ported snow flap

-Removed all foam from engine compartment and side covers, but left heat shielding

-Ported stock running boards (this one I'm unsure about, if they bend, I'll just get braces for next season)

Future goals:

-AAEN Silencer (before you get all riled up, this is only a few decibels louder than stock and is 10-15lbs lighter, should help the RF chassis's tendency to "plow" through snow)

-Redo hood and a-arm guards as the paint is peeling

-Polish tunnel/running boards

-SledNeez XW Knee Pads (Santa?)

-Replace left side cover hold-down

The purpose of the build was to take something that was light off the shelf and make it a little more off-trail capable while not sacrificing much (if any) of the on-trail performance. While somewhat narrow ski stance, it proved itself to be a very solid trail performer and its light weight lent itself to decent floatation to begin with. The wider skis up front along with the a-arm guards and skid plate will help the front stay on top of the snow while the 136" track is still easy for the 550f to turn (especially after being geared down slightly) for light boondocking duty.

Most trail speed limits are 45 around here, so I'd be happy with a 75mph top speed (before extending the track, it was between 80 and 85). In terms of weight, after putting the AAEN silencer on, it should be very close to what it was stock. It may be 5lbs more total. Someday I'll get around to getting a wet weight on it (1/2 tank of gas and 1/2 tank of oil...Not sure about you, but dry weights don't mean much to me since I can't go riding with no gas and oil!) If power and gas mileage stay about where they are I'd be ecstatic. Most people say the can will lose a hp or two but the reeds claim to gain that much so it should be a draw.

While I'd like to go all-out and build up a 600 or 800 into a 144 or 151" monster it doesn't make sense for around my area. We get less than 100 inches of snow a season and unless we get dumped on with a couple feet of fresh stuff at one time deep powder riding is minimal. With this sled I can enjoy everything trail riding has to offer and not think twice when ditch banging, playing in sandpits, or doing some basic off-trail stuff. It won't win any hillclimbs, but with this sled I can ride just about anything central NH can dish out and it should be plenty capable should I want to toss it in the bed of my truck and head north a few hours.

On to the pictures:

Tunnel Extension:

0303121129.jpg

0303121240.jpg

Midway through rail and track extension:

1019131116.jpg

1101131639.jpg

Before and After of Porting the Running Boards (Don't worry, I went back and cleaned the holes up with a dremel):

1106131635.jpg

Clutch Side Cover Porting:

1108131839.jpg

Side Cover Detail Shots (Yeah it's just sharpie, but it's a cheap sled...Why spend 400 on wrapping it?):

1214131055.jpg

1214131057.jpg

And finally, the finished product:

1214131207.jpg

1214131208.jpg

Any comments or questions, feel free to ask!

--Matt--

2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 500ss...136" swap, narrowed stock a-arms, pilot 6.9 skis, and a whole lot more...Mod sled build in progress!

1988 Polaris Sprint 340...Custom Taillight Mod, Antique plates and still kickin'!

#2 800 X

800 X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Sled:2012 800Etec Renny-2010 GSX 550F

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Interesting read. You have obviously spent some time and money on her. Good job.

#3 gopherchoker

gopherchoker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Sled:2018 Gen 4 Summit X 154 2.5" blue

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Unique!!! I like it. Don't matter what you have you can always have a blast wrenching on it

2018 Gen 4 Summit X 154, 2.5", e-start, Blue

low elevation clutching

blue full skidplate

rail stiffeners

hightorque secondary rollers

BACKUP SLED: 2011 'gade backcountry 600 e-tec
pilot ds2 skis
C3 post forward
43-47 doo helix
hightorque rollers
rip n grip braces
quik clikers
Prografx Backcountry X wrap

https://www.youtube....tlandfreeriders

#4 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, snowboarding, motorcycles, cars, trucks, sports...Anything with an engine, definitely.

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

^^Absolutely. Plus in the future I can put the sway bar and stock clutch spring back in and pass it on to my wife when I eventually upgrade. We're supposedly getting 12-18" tomorrow and trails open as well so I may take it out and see what there is to see.

2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 500ss...136" swap, narrowed stock a-arms, pilot 6.9 skis, and a whole lot more...Mod sled build in progress!

1988 Polaris Sprint 340...Custom Taillight Mod, Antique plates and still kickin'!

#5 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16788 posts
  • Interests:ice fishing, R/C racing, photography
  • Sled:89 Mach1, 05 500ss, 20 Gade 600ace

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

I like it!

If anyone has kids, let em loose on the sled with a pack of markers lol

#6 renegade backcountry

renegade backcountry

Ride it like ya stole it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts
  • Interests:snowmobile and MOPARS
  • Sled:2019 BC 2016 1200X 2015 XRS

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

nice looking!!

#7 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

We got a foot dumped on us overnight and picked up another inch or so today. All in all I'd say we have upward of 15" of snow here. If nothing else it was a good opportunity to make sure everything was running nice and kosher. Here's what I found:

Floatation is much better than with the 121 (duh). I didn't try too hard on any of the hills around my house (there are a few steep ones) but it did well. It did start to trench slightly and as there are rocks and stumps on the surface I didn't push it too hard. I don't want to tear any lugs off the precious new track. Sufficed to say it hooks up really well.

Rpms are a touch below target. In the Freestyle sub-forums people mention the stock tach reads a little high so as of now at WOT I am around 6800 rpm versus the ~7100 desired. I can mess with the clutch weights a bit but per Boyesen it makes the pilot a bit lean and the main a bit rich with the reeds. I already took care of the pilot by turning them in 1/4 turn but haven't done anything with the mains. Where it's on the rich side rather than lean I think I'll leave it where it is for the time being as I will likely have to rejet when I do the silencer.

Why would I want to spend more time working on the sled when this is staring back at me?:

1215131251.jpg

#8 Freestylin'

Freestylin'

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Unfortunately we've gotten some rain lately and more is due in the forecast tomorrow. We got a little snow today on top of the smooth ice so I did a little playing around after work.

0110141618.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users