SKI Scratcher MOD - REV-XR / XS Chassis - 4-TEC 1200 Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

SKI Scratcher MOD

scratcher

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SledWreck

SledWreck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts
  • Sled:2021 Renegade 850 X

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

My setup is mounted on a CA PRO Razor SKI and no it cannot be used in reverse. 

What I used:

RSI rail scratcher kit, two longer spindle bolts, additional washers, retaining type hook to hold spring up

• Cut the big nut end off the RSI rail mount part you need the sleeve potion that goes in the spring.  Drill out the threads in the sleeve so that the spindle bolt slides threw it nicely.
  • NOTE – Don’t make the sleeve to short you need it to be wider to allow for a proper tightness on the overall spindle and not bind the spring
  • Heat and bend the spring to the configuration you like.
  • Mount retaining mechanism to hold the spring up when you don’t want to use them.

I have had zero issues with this setup both on and off trail.  The only complaint I hear is from the guys behind me getting dusted but they are not Doo riders so who cares.. lol   I have had numerous people ask about my setup so here you go enjoy..  SledWreck 

RSI kit.JPG

IMG_00000089.jpg

IMG_00000090.jpg

-------------------------------

Buy it, Ride it, MOD it, Tune it, Repeat ....

My 850 X Competition Build,  My 1200 iron dog , Venting 1200 , CVT Cover MOD , SKI Scratcher MOD

#2 CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11244 posts
  • Sled:**Starting to be Too Many**

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Looks good but why cut off the big nut end? Couldn't you just drill through the sleeve and big nut and still use the big end as the retainer? Your set up probably cools better than the scratchers on the skid.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress: but I repeat myself"-Mark Twain 

#3 RainmanX

RainmanX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2964 posts
  • Sled:GSX 1200 Red

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Nice! I did something similar with some ski scratchers from Hartman. I bolted them onto the pivot bolt (located longer bolts and modified some bushings).

They are a lot of tension to engage/disengage. I use the small CT exhaust spring tool.

#4 SledWreck

SledWreck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Looks good but why cut off the big nut end? Couldn't you just drill through the sleeve and big nut and still use the big end as the retainer? Your set up probably cools better than the scratchers on the skid.

Tried that but the bolt had to be longer and stuck out further. Wanted it to be tucked in as close as possible.

My 850 X Competition Build,  My 1200 iron dog , Venting 1200 , CVT Cover MOD , SKI Scratcher MOD

#5 SledWreck

SledWreck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Nice! I did something similar with some ski scratchers from Hartman. I bolted them onto the pivot bolt (located longer bolts and modified some bushings).

They are a lot of tension to engage/disengage. I use the small CT exhaust spring tool.

I tried about half a dozen different types of springs and all had to much tension then I found the RSI kit which uses a smaller diameter spring works perfect.

#6 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3508 posts
  • Sled:2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX-LE

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm not sure why you would need scratchers on a Ski-Doo. I've been in hard snow and ice conditions and never melted slides or warmed up the engine. These aren't Yamahas or ProCross Cats that's for sure!

#7 hemidoo

hemidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Interests:Quebec,Vermont and Maine.. trail/Adventure rider
  • Sled:Black 2019 BC XRS ... For Sale !

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'm not sure why you would need scratchers on a Ski-Doo. I've been in hard snow and ice conditions and never melted slides or warmed up the engine. These aren't Yamahas or ProCross Cats that's for sure!

I know what your sayin ,  i've  only had my 1200 get hot / melt slides 5 or 6 times in the last 4 years

#8 Go Fast or Go Home

Go Fast or Go Home

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8020 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling and ATVs
    Boating
    Traveling
    Family and friends
  • Sled:12 1200 Gade---(3) 14 1200x Gades

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

My 1200 Renegade overheated twice last year while my 2 buddies on their Yamahas were O.K. I put a set of the Duraflex Cable Scratchers on mine. When the sled began to overheat for the third time I used the scratchers and problem solved.

#9 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5190 posts
  • Sled:6ex,850x,900tnt,900tx

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

doos get hot just as easy as any other, depends on conditions, with scratchers slides will last a long time, I haven't changed a set for years, added we slow our speeds down when conditions are hard and icy.

#10 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3508 posts
  • Sled:2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX-LE

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I've burned slides off in a day on the Yamahas and been the only one in the bunch to overheat. Never changed a set of slides yet on any of my Doo1200 gades or overheated including my old turbo. I've been on some rock hard trails where people on other brands are overheating where they never have before. The 1200 seems less prone to melting slides and warm engines than the guys I ride with, we all run studs and ride a fast pace. That's my expireence anyway.

#11 izey91

izey91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2046 posts
  • Sled:21 Renegade XRS 850 | 19 600R TNT

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Sorry maybe I missed something here but what is the purpose putting on the skis as opposed to the suspension?  I have had a few situations down limited/icy trails where the 1200 overheated....looking for solution.  

#12 cooldood

cooldood

I need a life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45284 posts
  • Sled:Trump Train ( made in Russia)

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

A lot of Yami guys do the same thing.  The idea of mounting on the ski is the entire skid will get dusted versus on the skid where the back half is getting more snow.  

#13 SledWreck

SledWreck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Sorry maybe I missed something here but what is the purpose putting on the skis as opposed to the suspension?  I have had a few situations down limited/icy trails where the 1200 overheated....looking for solution.  

The reason I put these on the ski's is because I ride 120's and on the shorty's mounting scratchers to the rails is not as effective.

#14 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5190 posts
  • Sled:6ex,850x,900tnt,900tx

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

The reason I put these on the ski's is because I ride 120's and on the shorty's mounting scratchers to the rails is not as effective.

also hard to find a spot to mount them on a shorty, cables are easier.

#15 SledWreck

SledWreck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

also hard to find a spot to mount them on a shorty, cables are easier.

I found with the cable type they don't seem to put as much down pressure as the spring types do. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratcher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users