What mods have you done to yer sled or gear for boondocking - Page 2 - Boondocking - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

What mods have you done to yer sled or gear for boondocking

Good or bad

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Sled:800 Backcountry X

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Took the old track off last spring for buddy who needed it. So made this lil dolly so I could still move it around easy n shop ride it going braaap lol2a6uhe3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They Say getting stuck is half the fun. Which means all my friend are having just as much fun pulling me out of the rubarb all the time.

#17 SkidooSteve12

SkidooSteve12

Flyin Fox Daddy X3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31178 posts
  • Interests:Fun stuff.
  • Sled:14 Summit 154 05 GSX 500SS

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

Been wanting to uncouple the skid in the bcx as I find it is its Achilles heel when it comes to off trail The local dealer was kind enough to give me 60% of a rev 136 GTX skid which is the same skid that was in the ol 550f summit. Also kealo from powermodz let me pillage one of his old skids for some parts to save some $. Pic is crapy but I'm just at a stand still now waiting for shocks to be rebuilt n a buddy to drop off his 2.25 track

ema3apyp.jpg

Maybe start working on the post forward mod while I'm waiting. Picked up the bolts for it today now where the heck did I put my air chisel for the rivits?

I've been keeping an eye open for an old Summit 136 skid for a future build. I figure I can build up a REV BCX pretty affordably. My 154 just doesn't fly as easily and the 136 in MI would handle a lot.

What rivets are you removing for the post forward mod? My Summit with the S36 and post forward was such a huge improvement. And the Simmons Flexi skis too over the Pilot 6.9's.

Breaks stuff. Often. Expensive stuff too.

My YouTube Vids

#18 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Ditchbangerpro gave me the front pyramidal chassis part with the post mount forward and the straight steering post. So the rivets attach to the s module right where the upper shock mounts is for the front of the pyramidal chassis. 4 or 5 a side I think. I hear the post forward makes a huge difference. I was hoping to go out today and test it but I ran into a minor problem. So for the update part I mounted the front mounts where the stock one was and moved the back one back 3 inchs and down 1/4". The front of the rail tip cleared the extrovert driver by a good 1/2" and I had a 250lb friend put the suspension through it full travel and clearance stayed the same. But of course not thinking that on a flat shop floor and the suspension moves differently under acceleration, bumps etc. Long and short rail tip went into driver and I did a pretty lame superman. fortunately I was going slow and nothing was damaged. My rear skid mounts were cracked under the running boards so fabed up a some better ones. I would of liked the real heavy reinforced ones where you can adjust yer rear axel also off a rev gtx But their $90 plus tax. My local dealer just happened to have a gtx chasis that was totally wrecked back in the snowbank so dug it out and brought it back to shop and am in the process of peeling the mounts off and I will have to move the front and rear mounts back again. I will post some pics later

They Say getting stuck is half the fun. Which means all my friend are having just as much fun pulling me out of the rubarb all the time.

#19 Jon_Doo-800

Jon_Doo-800

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • Interests:Things that go Braaaap!!!
  • Sled:2013 Free Ride 137

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Does the gtx have the longer H.D bumper on it? :D
NOT MY CIRCUS...

NOT MY MONKEYS.......

#20 lawmanbsi

lawmanbsi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Sled:2015 800 Summit SP 146

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:40 AM

Been looking at the toolbox on the belt gaurd as the new location for my goggles. I haven't had any real fogging issues as of yet but I'm sure it's coming at some point. I've already made storage under my seat for a couple tool pouches. I'm going to try getting my flap up in the bumper.

I put the WRP boards, Powder Pro skis and a 1.75" track on for this season. Major improvement.

Bad decisions make the best stories

2015 800 Summit SP 146 ES

42" front suspension, BMP Velocity can, GNR brace set, Quick disc link, BRP 5"~ 8" riser, BRP rail scratchers, LinQ fuel caddy, LinQ short bag, Garmin LM40, Ram mount, Extreme intake cover, Holeshot Dash bag,Cold Guard gauntlets, Gates carbon belt,

#21 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Does the gtx have the longer H.D bumper on it? :D

Naw the wrote off chassis the dealer gave me was pretty well striped. But I did put the heavier rear bumpers on both the bcx n daughters summit Glad I did as it saved me some serious tunnel damage on the bcx on a bad tail landing. Bumper was bent pretty good and tore out rear bolt mounts 20 ton press had full of its butt straightening it then jus bolted straight through. Tunnel was only slightly bent
esy3adan.jpg

For the front I would like to try the new boondocking bumper from brp. I was thinking about making a real heavy duty bumper as I have my fair share of bent bumpers hanging on the wall. But I want some thing with some give so I don't transfer all the energy back to the s module n wreck that. Till then I figure this will work lol

a7a2y6ep.jpg

#22 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Been looking at the toolbox on the belt gaurd as the new location for my goggles. I haven't had any real fogging issues as of yet but I'm sure it's coming at some point. I've already made storage under my seat for a couple tool pouches. I'm going to try getting my flap up in the bumper.
I put the WRP boards, Powder Pro skis and a 1.75" track on for this season. Major improvement.

Actually Monday i was out and it was super warm sno was really heavy and sweating alot and between the 2 I had a wicked moisture build not frost it was so bad i had problems seeing .So it was handy there. I probably had and extra 30-40lbs on my tunnel here

7a8uva4e.jpg

Let me know how the WRP boards work. Figured I would punch mine n try them then if I didn't like that go with aftermarket ones. You should notice a big difference with that track n skies. Have you changed yer gearing?

#23 lawmanbsi

lawmanbsi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Sled:2015 800 Summit SP 146

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

I've been out several times now riding in 2-3ft of snow. Climbing hills that I wouldn't last year. We are riding in the woods climbing spots that your on and off the throttle. Over downed trees stumps and rocks. The set up I have just keeps going. I'm having a blast. Making it to the top of hills hooting and hollering. Having more control over the sled has allowed my skill level to sore.

WRP Boards are awesome very little build up and they clear off with just a couple swipes of the boot. Shifting from board to board is so much easier when they are clear. Last year I had fallen off the sled from the build up of snow and ice.

Bad decisions make the best stories

2015 800 Summit SP 146 ES

42" front suspension, BMP Velocity can, GNR brace set, Quick disc link, BRP 5"~ 8" riser, BRP rail scratchers, LinQ fuel caddy, LinQ short bag, Garmin LM40, Ram mount, Extreme intake cover, Holeshot Dash bag,Cold Guard gauntlets, Gates carbon belt,

#24 krouoffroad

krouoffroad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:stuff that I can get hurt on
  • Sled:97 Goondocker SUPREME

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

I just picked up a pair of takeoff pilot 6.9s for 40 bucks to replace my precision 5.7s. Should be a little better on my light sled

#25 krouoffroad

krouoffroad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:stuff that I can get hurt on
  • Sled:97 Goondocker SUPREME

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Double post

#26 Jon_Doo-800

Jon_Doo-800

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • Interests:Things that go Braaaap!!!
  • Sled:2013 Free Ride 137

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

A Makita front bumper... Now that new! :rofl:
You must have the first model... they turned the gas axe on its side to allow the trees to fly over instead of under. I think it reqiures race fuel and no govornor in the saw tho. ;)

As for my upgrades...
I made my own screens, 5 wheel axle that I can run as a three wheel.. some free venting and getting suspension dialed in better. And most of the GnR line. Extreme skid plate(brp), A-arm protectors from C&T..moved kill, hi-lo beam and reverse switch.centered skis.
NOT MY CIRCUS...

NOT MY MONKEYS.......

#27 codyjoeb

codyjoeb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:sledding and dirtbiking
  • Sled:2007 rev 500ss

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

if you have the money powdercoat your tunnel/rails so you dont pick up the extra weight. also if you have any open vents on your sled go to your local hardware store and pick up some pet mesh put this behind the vents or infront to stop snow from building up in the cab. skidplates help too

#28 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

All good stuff keep it coming. Here is one iron dog posted a year or 2 back and I tried and it works well to exhaust heat. Holes are punched on side panels at back right where yer knees are.

qydu9ave.jpg

#29 squidward

squidward

Shredding the Gnar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5017 posts
  • Interests:Hill-X
  • Sled:sticker says 380!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

440 bar controls (no big stupid block) w/rubberbands under killswitch and flipped upside down....use to have lots of issues with rolling the sled.  Now I'll send it tumbling down a hill and not care too much.  I personally would not run a plastic master cylinder either.  Have seen a few of those snap off.

Then......2.3" track + Powderpro skis.  Next is a 36" front end, maybe.  The holz skid is a helva lot better than the stocker too.  Can pound moguls on the way out but it still sidehills and gets up outa a hole significantly better than stock.

Current Frankensled....2011 RS + 2008 summit + Holz Alpha X + RKT 800HO
766a4152-6686-478e-96fc-1b147dfd393f.jpg
Parting out...Clicky ~~~>  2007 Summit X and 2011 600 RS

#30 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yea that rubber band or in my case one of my daughters hair bands under the kill switch is a life saver. I was going to mod the kill switch or put one on like on my dirt bike then read this idea on here a couple years ago and tried it. I like it also because if someone else uses my sled I can take the elastic off and they have a stock kill switch like their used to

4ypyqaqu.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Good or bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users