What mods have you done to yer sled or gear for boondocking - Boondocking - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

What mods have you done to yer sled or gear for boondocking

Good or bad

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts
  • Sled:800 Backcountry X

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm always trying to improve my game so I thought if anyone had done anything to thier sled or gear they have found makes a big difference post er here. I have done a bunch of things to help. Some other people have told me about or advise from fellow doo talkers. Here is a quick one I did that I found worked real well. What brought this about is it was   -29c for the high and windy as heck and no one could keep their goggles from fogging. So that evening out came the leatherman and I nipped out the front of the toolholder on the clutch cover and since I always carry tuck tape I used it to enlarge the holder then a piece of 550 cord to extend the rubber latch. I keep meaning to do a nicer job but its functional and never got around to it. Then since there is no storage on my year of x package whatsoever I hollowed some foam out of the seat to put the tool kit in. 

Attached Images

• IMG_0593.jpg
  • IMG_0594.jpg

They Say getting stuck is half the fun. Which means all my friend are having just as much fun pulling me out of the rubarb all the time.

#2 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 137 2.25

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Take off your snow flap in deep snow. It gets you stuck. You will not overheat thats a myth. I put my goggles on top of my belt and put the hood back on. Dry in 4 minutes. Mine never fog tho just packed with snow sometimes.

#3 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Take off your snow flap in deep snow. It gets you stuck. You will not overheat thats a myth. I put my goggles on top of my belt and put the hood back on. Dry in 4 minutes. Mine never fog tho just packed with snow sometimes.

#4 UPMICHIGANDER

UPMICHIGANDER

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

When its super cold i stuff tp under the goggle strap on the sides. Only spot that gets cold on me. Only have to do it when its -f

#5 ZXdood

ZXdood

old ski-dool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3313 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles-ATV's-Streetbikes-Late 60's early 70's Detroit muscle
  • Sled:16 Renegade XRS .... 01 mxzx 700

•    

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Skid plate

Skid plate

Skid plate

Oh.......did I say Skid plate?

ZXdood
Only dead fish go with the flow

#6 Yamadoo500

Yamadoo500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3831 posts
  • Interests:Sleds only seem to work right during the summer...
  • Sled:15' Switchback Assault 600

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Wider skis make a big difference.

#7 joeybuilt

joeybuilt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Sled:'08 800R Northwoods Boondocker

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

Skis, track, gears, vents, coupler block stoppers. I am going to make my flap easily removable, seems half the time I get stuck, it's acting like an anchor, particularly when the UP snow is settled & dense. I'll take that suggestion & run with it.

***Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that is is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.***

***SARCASM...Just another one of the free services we offer.***

***Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.***

progress.gif

#8 nordicmike

nordicmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Sled:10 Gade X 600, 15 Pro Rmk 800

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

grip n rip bracing and skid plate, short windshield and gas caddy (needed it once or twice on my 600 etec) wide skis with the shortest carbide i could still turn with on trail, coupler blocks small as possible and rubber stoppers flipped back, limiter strap out one hole.  

2010- renegade x 600 etec 7900 miles
c&a xtx's, 1.75 inch track, lowered a gear, 190/290 primary with a 43/47 helix
all new shocks by monster performance

2004- mxz 600ho sdi 8200 miles

#9 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Yea grip n rip n skid plates are a must. I go through a few a arms a year but so far the G&R bracing has saved me any module damage My mud flap I just bend up like this that way I have it for cooling on hard snodu3a8yjy.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They Say getting stuck is half the fun. Which means all my friend are having just as much fun pulling me out of the rubarb all the time.

#10 MR.MXZ600

MR.MXZ600

Back in the game. Again.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Sled:2006 Summit 800HO Adrenaline

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

Steering post forward. Easy to do on revs and makes laying the sled over so much easier. Tall handle bars is the other major one. Had this argument with a friend, he swore up and down that the weight on the running boards is what flips the sled over, one ride on my summit and he was sold lol. 

2006 Summit Adrenaline 800HO. 159.
RKTek 827. Rage Cages. DJ Clutching. RSI Handlebars/Riser.

And shes a FLATLANDER!!!

#11 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Yea I hear the post forward makes a difference. Gonna do the BCX this year. A friend of mine snow checked a new summit and gave me everything I need for the post forward mod.

#12 gto0209

gto0209

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Sled:2009 summit x 154

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

skis help, softer front shocks, just bought a gas caddy and windshield, so I have not gotten to try those out. How does the seat come off? I would like to be able to put my tools under the seat so I can heat up my goggles.

06 440/800

#13 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:09 AM

skis help, softer front shocks, just bought a gas caddy and windshield, so I have not gotten to try those out. How does the seat come off? I would like to be able to put my tools under the seat so I can heat up my goggles.

Eh gto209.

I forgot to mention in my post the seat mod only works on the xp/xm chassis because the seat comes off in 2 seconds. the pic in yer avatar is a rev so wouldnt work but it does say you have a 2009 summit so you just slid yer hand down the front of yer seat between the seat and gas tank and you will feel a tab pull up on it while pushing back on seat.

#14 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Been wanting to uncouple the skid in the bcx as I find it is its Achilles heel when it comes to off trail The local dealer was kind enough to give me 60% of a rev 136 GTX skid which is the same skid that was in the ol 550f summit. Also kealo from powermodz let me pillage one of his old skids for some parts to save some $. Pic is crapy but I'm just at a stand still now waiting for shocks to be rebuilt n a buddy to drop off his 2.25 track

ema3apyp.jpg

Maybe start working on the post forward mod while I'm waiting. Picked up the bolts for it today now where the heck did I put my air chisel for the rivits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 Bad

Bad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Also punched the running boards last yryduma4u6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Good or bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users