4 replies to this topic

#1 eugohmas

eugohmas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sled:2003 polaris rmk 700

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hey guys, i was riding a 2003 polaris rmk 700 until i ran it into a rock hidden under the snow this last week. not my best day. The sled is pretty much totaled with respect to the body which stinks but the engine still runs great. Im a college student in engineering and dont have much money so im pretty much SOL for the rest of this season. So now im looking into how difficult it would be to make my own sled frame for the engine since it still runs.

Im not looking to make some insane sled that is better than anyone else's because i understand thats not plausable without a lot of money. Im just looking to learn a lot and maybe come out with something that works in the process. I was hoping someone else had some experience in this and could give me some thoughts and ideas.

my general idea was to have three basic sub frames. one for the tunnel, one for the engine and one for the A-arm setup because i would like to switch out the trailing arms for a-arms. the idea behind the sub frames is so that next time i hit a rock, i only ruin one subframe instead of the entire sled. i have a couple more ideas but i dont even know if this is worth it yet. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

#2 CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11244 posts
  • Sled:**Starting to be Too Many**

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I'd be looking for a donor sled at a salvage yard.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress: but I repeat myself"-Mark Twain 

#3 RaggedEdgeDooer

RaggedEdgeDooer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Sled:2013XRS 800,2012 XRS 800,2011XRS800

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

I agree... find donor sled.  Save yourself the grief.

"Quit your whining and ride"

#4 seymour1

seymour1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Sled:2012 BCX 800 ETEC --

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Check out slickssalvage.com     This company is a client of mine and we got to talking about snow they are a sled salvage yard and als built this- Jacks & Dylans Custom TL1000R Sled Videonew.gif

1. 03 rev 800
2. 09 xp renegade 800r
3. 12 xp BCX 800r etec

Bring the Snow!!

#5 norsepeak

norsepeak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Sled:2017 Summit X Gen4 154"

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

save yourself a ton of time and headache and just find a donor sled, rob the parts you need and slam it back together and go ride.  You'll have many hours and a lot of money trying to fab up a new chassis.  No need to re-invent the wheel, just get a used wheel and make it work.

2017 G4 850 Summit X 154
2012 Can Am Renegade 1000

2012 Can Am Outlander XT 1000

2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8

2016 Husqvarna FE501

2014 Sea Doo GTR 215

2005 Sea Doo GTX 215

Snomobile, ATV, Dirtbike, 4wd and diesel parts and accessories.  Amsoil, Baja Designs lighting, Pac Brake, 4 Wheel Parts Wholesaler, custom metal fab.
Partner, Rugged Class Outfitters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sled, custom, DIY, frame, build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users