Brake Chatter / Rattle - REV-XR / XS Chassis - 4-TEC 1200 Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Brake Chatter / Rattle

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts
  • Sled:2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX-LE

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Started happening for me last year. Thought I may have a loose disc on the shaft or lose brake pads. It'd go away when you'd apply the brake while maintaining speed with the throttle. So it has to be pads / disc or perhaps a bad bearing.

Well I switched out the track last week and the bearing was in great shape along with all the bearings in the susp. and jackshaft. Re-greased them and there ready for many more thousands of miles.

The pads seemed nice and tight in the calipers along with the spring retainer holding the pads, they can't be loose. The disc slid off the shaft fine and showed no abnormal wear to the splines on shaft or disc. Very minimal wobble and movement but I suppose there must be enough to be rattling on the shaft at certain speeds around 20-30 or so MPH. I noticed it on the stand too.

I assembled everything thinking the chatter would go away just cleaning everything up, but no such luck.

Very Noisy! And no, its not the clutch. The disc has a o-ring between it and the bearing which seemed in good shape so I re-used it. I'm thinking it is perhaps being used as a cushion or dampener to prevent wobble or shake on the shaft.

Anyone else have this noise going on with the disc and perhaps have a fix?

If not, I'm going to replace the o-ring and stuff the splines with copper anti-seize and perhaps seal up the circlip side or the splines with some silicone to keep the anti-seize in place for a dampening solution. I'd like to use silicone but would be afraid it would glue the disc to the spline and you would then HAVE to use a puller to get it off, but maybe that may not be such a bad thing, I don't know?

Anyway, if you that have a sure fire fix for this, please share.

#2 Wayne (Pontypool)

Wayne (Pontypool)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Sled:2012 Grand Tourng SE

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Do you have a dial indicator that you could use to check run out on the brake disk and the shaft if the disc is good?
Wonder if a hard hit to the drive shaft could have bent it or maybe the disk is heat warped?
Wayne Brooks
President
Long Sault Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club
320 Sandy Hook Rd
Pontypool, ON

#3 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

The runout on the disc is good and true and the shaft is fine too. It just gets to a certain speed (20-30 or in that range somewhere) and either the pucks or the disc start rattling. Like the disc is loose on the shaft.

It acts like the disc is loose on the splines, rotating and pulsing forward and backwards pulsing fore and aft with the pulses of the crankshaft if that makes sense. Or the disc is wobbling on the shaft at a certain speed and frequency into the pads or visa versa.

I'd like to glue the pads to the pistons and dampen the disc to the shaft. I'm sure its some form of spline/shaft wear or pad wear. But it must be ever so slight as nothing appears to be worn much at all.

What it acts like is a plate being spun and wobbled on the counter when it gets right down there and the frequency is at it highest.

The parts breakdown show anti-seize on the shaft and disc splines and I just wonder that obviously over time this wears away creating some wear on the disc and shaft splines. IMO the splines need some locktite, silicone or anti-seize on it to dampen or tighten it up. Only anti-seize will allow the disc to be removed easily again, locktite or silicone will glue the disc to the shaft but provide a tighter fit.

I surely can't be the only one with this brake noise.

#4 huvik

huvik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:2011 Tundra Sport 550F
    - Windsheild bag
    - Skid Plate
    2012 Expedition Sport 600 Ace
    - Mountian Addictions Track Rack
    - Temperture Gauge
    - Skid Plate
    - Tank Bag
  • Sled:2012 Expedition Sport 600 Ace

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I have the same noise you describe on my 2012 600 ACE. Took it to the dealer and he took the break apart but said everything was perfect. Mine started making noises after about 200 km on the sled.

#5 RainmanX

RainmanX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2869 posts
  • Sled:GSX 1200 Red

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Does the noise stop when you apply the brakes?

#6 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Does the noise stop when you apply the brakes?

Yes.

#7 RexXPtnt

RexXPtnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors
  • Sled:2015 Summit / 2013 BCX 800 Etec

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I had a similar issue, but mine was dumb. THe bottom front bolt that holds the cover over the break area fell out and caused a noisy rattle all the time!

Double check that on the inside of the tunnel that the retainer peice tha tyou bolt into is snug and flush with the tunnel and all caliper bolts are tight.

If it is a rattle, something has to be loose causing movement. make sure the both that holds the pads is in all the way with the holding clip that goes through the pin too

#8 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have the same noise you describe on my 2012 600 ACE. Took it to the dealer and he took the break apart but said everything was perfect. Mine started making noises after about 200 km on the sled.

So makes sense that the factory applied anti-seize has already left its place on the shaft in a very short time. Its either the disc on the shaft or the pads in the caliper rattling I'm thinking. I don't thinks any harm will come, but we have nice quiet machines and noisy brake chatter.

I have to find a way to fix it! I'm going to start experimenting today first with new o-ring behind disc and slobbered up with copper anti-seize and sealing the end of the disc/circlip with hi-temp silicone. If that does not work I'll try something else.

#9 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I had a similar issue, but mine was dumb. THe bottom front bolt that holds the cover over the break area fell out and caused a noisy rattle all the time!

Double check that on the inside of the tunnel that the retainer peice tha tyou bolt into is snug and flush with the tunnel and all caliper bolts are tight.

If it is a rattle, something has to be loose causing movement. make sure the both that holds the pads is in all the way with the holding clip that goes through the pin too

All is in place, secure and normal.

#10 razer

razer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts
  • Sled:6ex,850x,900tnt,900tx

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

the brake rotors do loosen up on the splines as the miles get on, but I can only notice when I lock the brake lever and check my chain tension, can't hear anything while riding.

#11 1200x

1200x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Sled:Mxz 1200x

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

The cover was making noise on mine.

#12 RainmanX

RainmanX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2869 posts
  • Sled:GSX 1200 Red

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Is the rattle clip weak?

#13 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Is the rattle clip weak?

Weak clip is possible, I bent it a little further today to apply some more pressure to the pads.

I had everything apart today for closer examination and I'm guessing the pads are rattling somehow. I can see some wear in the pin that goes thru the outboard pad. It appears like the outboard pad is dong more work than the inboard.

The rotor is running true but warped in a conical fashion to the inboard side. It's not much, only .010" but who knows. I've seen rotors way more conical than this this and have no problems.

The splines and shaft are just not wore at all. I installed a new o-ring even though the old one was not wore, slimmed on the copper anti-seize and applied hi-temp silicone to the splines around the shaft and disc prior to installing the circlip for a seal to "hold in" the anti-seize.

I'll let the silicone cure overnight and try the sled on the stand tomorrow without the guard in place to try and see whats happening. I have a feeling that the chatter is still gong to be there.

#14 grover

grover

Fuzzy but not Blue........

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10436 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200XR TnT, '05 500ss

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think the problem is that you don't use the brake enough Mike, you always said you liked alot compression braking!! :biggrin_old:

-Grover
Clutching: Northern Catalyst S8R8 kit (Dynamo Joe Stuff)

-LIFE

Just passin' through........

#15 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Rattle is now gone!!! Yipeeeeee, it was driving me nuts.

So all I really did is replace an o-ring that was really not wore behind the disc, slobber up the shaft and disc with copper anti-seize, assemble, clean the end of the shaft, apply a hi-temp copper silicone sealer to shaft and disc to hold in the anti-seize longer and throw the snap-ring on and let cure for 24 hrs. No more rattle today!

The anti seize must be acting as a dampener/cushion/shock absorber and not allowing the rattle of the disc with the pads. Funny thing is all the parts are in very good shape and show no signs of wear at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users