Pilot's vs. C&A's - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Performance Trail 120-129 Inch Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Pilot's vs. C&A's

pilots skis razors c&a 5.7 pilot 5.7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 a_user

a_user

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Sled:10 1200 gade x, 08 sdi x, 05 sdi x gade

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hey Guys,

Here's the situation. I need to replace my existing pilot 5.7's. I have already purchased new ski loops (yet to install) and new studboy 6" shapers. My thought was, I already have the investment in pilot ski's and they are the least expensive ski to replace. I figure, with the 6" shapers in the center, 4" wear bars on the outside, and new fresh keel's they would be a decent ski. On the other hand, I am always reading how everyone enjoys the C&A's. I dont think I would drop the dough for the Razor's but maybe the TRX trail ski? Not sure how the trx compares against the pilot's compared with the razors for. Issue is, I would need new bars (4"?) and new mounts. There's another 150-180, on top of the 300 for the skis. Compared with around 275 for pilot 5.7's, but I would probably go with 6.9's for a little extra.

So my question, given the extra cost for c&a's and given my investment in the pilot's, is the handling improvement that much better to justify a change to c&a's? I could always install the current pilot shaper's on my wife's '05 renegade x, so they would not be completely wasted.

Thoughts?

#2 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2021 850 XRS 129, 2020 600r

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hey Guys,

Here's the situation. I need to replace my existing pilot 5.7's. I have already purchased new ski loops (yet to install) and new studboy 6" shapers. My thought was, I already have the investment in pilot ski's and they are the least expensive ski to replace. I figure, with the 6" shapers in the center, 4" wear bars on the outside, and new fresh keel's they would be a decent ski. On the other hand, I am always reading how everyone enjoys the C&A's. I dont think I would drop the dough for the Razor's but maybe the TRX trail ski? Not sure how the trx compares against the pilot's compared with the razors for. Issue is, I would need new bars (4"?) and new mounts. There's another 150-180, on top of the 300 for the skis. Compared with around 275 for pilot 5.7's, but I would probably go with 6.9's for a little extra.

So my question, given the extra cost for c&a's and given my investment in the pilot's, is the handling improvement that much better to justify a change to c&a's? I could always install the current pilot shaper's on my wife's '05 renegade x, so they would not be completely wasted.

Thoughts?

Here is my take fwiw,
get some pilot 5.7r ski bottoms, use your new loops and all your existing carbides. Very nice upgrage from a standard pilot and no massive steering effort from a "long bar" aftermarket ski.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." � Thomas Jefferson

#3 mjracsj

mjracsj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Family, Snowmobiling every day there is snow, Golf everyday there isn't.
  • Sled:Renegade 1200 X

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Here is my take fwiw,
get some pilot 5.7r ski bottoms, use your new loops and all your existing carbides. Very nice upgrage from a standard pilot and no massive steering effort from a "long bar" aftermarket ski.

Looking at the XRS with the 5.7rs in my garage next to the 5.7 and 6.9 skis the ski loops look slightly different so maybe his loops wouldn't work anyway? Regardless I would use the carbides already on hand and go with 6.9s for an inexpensive different ski setup to try. They are at least as good on trail (if not better since they are less common so no darting) and certainly better for deep snow or some off trail than the 5.7s. I have ridden with 5.7s, 5.7r and the 6.9s and prefer the 6.9s for almost all conditions. Plus the multicolor black & white 6.9s look very cool (to me at least) and have thus increased my avg speed by at least .0009+ mph ;)
No matter what they are a very affordable change to try (and probably easy to sell if he didn't like them) given the loops and carbides are already on hand.

#4 DooDown87

DooDown87

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17933 posts
  • Sled:900 Blizzard, and what next?

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

The pilots loops will fit the 5.7r skis. I have them on my gfs TNT right now with pilot loops.

I agree best option is to buy the 5.7r bottoms and use the new carbides and loops you already have. They are a perfect in between of pilots and c&as and fit your budget best because of what you already bought.

#5 351c

351c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1619 posts
  • Interests:sleds, atvs, camping, downhill skiing, gas powered stuff,
  • Sled:2018 850xrs renegade

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

i've tried slydogs and usi project x skis and i've gone with pilot 6.9s on my last 2 renegades. 6" shaper in the center and 4" on the outside.
love how the big long gade can rail the corners and the flotation is noticebly better. only issue is i really gotta line it it up on my trailer or else 2 sleds side by side get too cosy.

#6 snomaniac

snomaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Sled:2006 mxzx 440

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Just keep in mind the 5.7r bottoms are $99 a piece msrp so that is $200+ for that experiment. You can get used C&A with carbides for that usually. Tough call,but I favor c&a over 5.7 pilots,and the 5.7r's I have sitting in my garage collecting dust. Have never run 6.9 pilots so no comment on those.

Snow, snirt, and snavel, mxzx will travel.

#7 a_user

a_user

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Sled:10 1200 gade x, 08 sdi x, 05 sdi x gade

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hey Guys,

I totally forgot about the 5.7r's. I have read about them in the past a couple of times but there has never really been a lot of discussion around them other than they are as close to the c&a as you can get without buying c&a's? This raises the question then, pilot 6.9's or 5.7r's? My concern with 5.7r's is whether they would be too aggressive at lower speeds (harder turning/more tiring?).

As for used, I would just assume purchase new. I have come across a couple used sets of c&a's in the past, and for what the sellers were asking, I would be further ahead to purchase new. I have not seen any other sales closer to home and by the time I buy something from the US and pay shipping it's simply not worth the extra if I did not find a really good deal.

Also, which ski would be the best rounded for both packed trail and in the fluff? I am not talking deep 2-3' of powder, but that 4-6" of fresh fluff that falls on the trails over night before the groomers are out.

More opinions and thoughts still welcome. Will likely pull the trigger on something the end of this week!

#8 SkiDooorNothin

SkiDooorNothin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • Sled:2017 850 Renegade & 2015 Indy 600

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Personally, I have had Slydog Race, Curve XS, Pilot R's, Pilot 5.7's, C&A XT's, Polaris from the Rush / Assault and now C&A XTX's. For me there is no comparison, C&A's are the most important "mod" for my sled.

They do steer much harder but I am not a trail rider, I am more of an off trail / ditch banging guy so they suit me. I think the stock doo skis are ok but not great once you've ridden aftermarket skis. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but if you cruise the trails at 20-40mph skis honestly don't matter. If you are an aggressive rider (not just in your head but actually aggressive) Curves are the way to go for the 100% trail rider and C&A's for the rest.

That's just my $.02, I'm sure others opinions will differ but I think skis help tremendously if you get the right ones for your riding style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users