• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Interests:Being in the mountains near everyday.
  • Sled:Too many

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

I got a chance to buy another 08 xp in mint shape less than 1000kms on it from a buddy of mine, I think of making it a pump gas turbo but don't know on what turbo to go with.
Suggestions...

#2 revx440HO

revx440HO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1197 posts
  • Sled:m8BBxp

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

Turbo Boyz

#3 zgrizz

zgrizz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Sled:09 summit

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

Do your research! I would kill to be able to get one that would work on a 800r I researched it to death and was even told by some of the sellers of these turbo kits not to do it. Just not reliable. IMO best band for your buck on the 800r is a timbersled skid. Best upgrade I did and trust me i have tried pretty much everything!!!!
Good luck

#4 Visinoni1

Visinoni1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Sled:08 Ski Doo Summit X 154 Turbo Mod

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've done alot of research on the Turbo Boys turbo kit for the 800r. They have it pretty dialed in from what I've seen. Some people have had problems with their kits but they don't set it up and tune it right. I am putting one on this summer and honestly if you are not wanting to run 7+ lbs, don't do it. I hear you can run 3-5 lbs on 91 octane, 6-10 lbs on 100 octane, 11-14 on 110. I will have mine set up with Pipe pressure, EGTs, and an Air/Fuel gauge so I will be able to tell and run as low octane as I can.

#5 zgrizz

zgrizz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Sled:09 summit

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

I dont know $6000 to put into a 08! Then you have to change out the track 1000 and the skid 2800 not to mention the 50/50 chance its going to work for you. Dont get me wrong I would kill to have one on my 09. Its seems though 90% of the people/builders I have talked to said dont do it to an xp. Honestly take that money and get into something that a turbo will work in the future. They are even having a hard time getting them to work on the etec's. Just my opionion not trying to talk you out of it, just do your homework before you start spending. Wish I could get all the $$$$$ I spent on mine back over the years listening to some f the guys sayin this works this works, instead of listening to the guys saying ride it change the skid and clutch! thats it! would have saved thousands. espeially on a sled thats worthless used now with only 500 miles on it! If you can get into a new ptec 2013 for 9700 canadian what do you think a 08 to a 2012 petec is worth when guys paid 12000! Ya I may not be the fasted guy on the hill or get be able to compete with the turbos but I have fun!

#6 swrev

swrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Sled:Turbo XP

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

if you are not wanting to run 7+ lbs, don't do it.

Exactly. Any less and it is not worth it. Just do a big bore and suspension and you will keep up w/ most pump gas turbos. I am running a modified stock skid and stock track on my '09 turbo and it is still a blast.

#7 adam8781

adam8781

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Sled:2007 summit 800 adrenaline

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

Go over to snowest check out the skidoo turbo section, lots of guys running turbo'd 800r summit.

I also reccomend turbo boyz (aka turboperformance.com)

#8 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

For the price i would be picking it up for, plus all the parts I already do have and can get. It is still cheaper than buying a new sled. Just seeing how a turbo works on these p-tecs, i've only seen one in all the riding i've done over the years, maybe there is a reason for it. I love my 08 mod xps and hate my poo rmks.

#9 adam8781

adam8781

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Sled:2007 summit 800 adrenaline

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

Anyone who thinks the 800r is just a mess with a turbo is ignorant.

I can't wait to build my own boosted 800r

#10 COMTNRIDER

COMTNRIDER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Riding in the steep and deep. Air it out when needed. When in ? punch it. If you ain't stuck you ain't triing.
    RK Tech Ported Drop-in Kit.
  • Sled:09 800r summit xp 154

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Raced and rode a turbo. Lots of fun and very costly. Plan on running race gas or spend lots of money putting it back together. Racing gas is not cheap. Have fun.

#11 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Comtmrider What is spending lots putting it back together? Did you have issues with yours?
Any engine build I would do I fully balance the engine from crank, rods, pistons, etc every moving part makes a big difference. But I also am think of picking up a etec too, just cant decide yet.

#12 Irondog

Irondog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Sled:It's What's Next

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Comtmrider What is spending lots putting it back together? Did you have issues with yours?
Any engine build I would do I fully balance the engine from crank, rods, pistons, etc every moving part makes a big difference. But I also am think of picking up a etec too, just cant decide yet.

"Plan on running race gas or spend lots of money putting it back together."

I believe he ment if you don't run race gas you'll have problems and need to rebuild it.

#13 fredw

fredw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1502 posts
  • Interests:low boost kit and light weight
  • Sled:carbon fiber etec turbo

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

dont waste your time on a 800r turbo, many have tried and many failed, carb turbos are a time bomb, go with the etec and dont look back

carbon fiber 2013xm turbo etec

174 three inch

lots of light weight goodies

under 500lbs full of fluids

AEROCHARGER

xp-x 174x 3 885cc
525lbs(full of fuel and oil)
Racers edge skid
20.5grams, blue-yellow-spring 413 ramps
dynoport pipe and y pipe, mbrp can
boyseen reeds
shockwave helix
42mm carbs

#14 swrev

swrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Sled:Turbo XP

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

dont waste your time on a 800r turbo, many have tried and many failed, carb turbos are a time bomb, go with the etec and dont look back

A turbo sled is just that-a turbo sled. Give me one reason why a carb turbo is more of a time bomb then a efi sled. What is your direct experience. I would settle for just one legitimate reason why they are a time bomb.

I run efi(can't get to run properly, think my fuel controller is bad), carb turbo, big bore and nitrous. Nitrous has been the least reliable for me, but I am not blaming the nitrous. I always try and run too much nos w/out enough extra race fuel. Detonate and done. Tuner related and fault all my own. Turbo kits are the same type of situation along w/ running a big bore on the edge. 2000 miles on my '09 turbo, haven't touched the bottom end. Burnt it down 800 miles ago when a powerjet plugged--install problem, not 800r or carb related. No different than plugging a line to an auxillary inector.

How much tuning do you mess w/ on your turbo etec? It's always ran perfect correct w/out any issues? If I remember correctly you never got one kit running correctly and were going to remove your current unless the fueling issues improved. They obviously did and you are happy now, carb turbo's have done the same thing. They have evolved and there are some good kits out there and enough information to be ready to go. Turbo's are not for everyone as you know. Maintainence and diligent insections are neccesary. No sled is just really gas and go, stock or mod in my opinion.

I am not trying to be a jerk, you have added alot of good info w/ your big bore and jumped into the etec turbo right away. I like to see the improvements you've made to your sled. What works and what doesn't. I just don't see where the time bomb statement comes from. If you were talking the occasional burble, efi is always going to have the advantage. Until there is a stand alone, carb is always going to be easier to tune.

#15 Visinoni1

Visinoni1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Sled:08 Ski Doo Summit X 154 Turbo Mod

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

I can't wait for my ptek turbo this winter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users