Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

09 1200 bouncing off the rev limiter

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  dooboy 
#1 ·
I bought a used 2009 1200 renegade, took it out today for the first drive. it seemed to0 work well but it was reving a strong 8400 to possible 8500 on clicker # 3, I think it was hitting the rev limiter, I dropped the clicker to #2, I have only tried it in the field by my house, it now goes to 8200 rpm's seems to pull much better than before.

This sled is completely stock, what RPM is everyone else running at, also anybody else need to be in clicker #2 and still pulling 8200 rpm?

Is this normal or is my clutcking or belt glazed, Etc?

#5 ·
Running these engines to higher RPMs when there is no increase in horsepower, actually transfers less horsepower to the track. For each 100 RPM you rev above lets say 7900 RPM you lose 0.4 to 0.5% efficiency with these clutches. The 1200 makes about the same horsepower (+/- 1/2 HP) at the crank from 7900 to 8400 RPM. Running higher RPM actually nets in a 3 horsepower loss at the driveshaft.

#7 ·
Steve, I have not seen this from a four-stroke Yamaha, perhaps the Ski-Doo clutches are different but the higher we can RPM a four-stroke, even not increasing HP, the faster it goes in the field. I know what you are saying is theoretical and looks right on paper, but its not what I have found to be the case when running on snow at least with the Yamahas. My turbo XR1200 is proving also to be faster right up to the rev limiter. If I had my choice, it would be turning 9200-9500, not with a TRA more than likely though!

#10 ·
Thanks for the repies. I rode 93 miles today after turning my clicker to #2, it seems to work better, pulls strong through the midrange and is reving 82-8300.

I still don't know why mine is turning higher RPM's than normal?

I am turning the same rpm on clicker #2 as most 1200's on clicker # 3, my brothers GTX 1200 rev's app 78 - 8000 on clicker # 3.

What gains are most people seeing from a clutch kit?

Are they changing cams?

2009 cam is different than 2010 cam ? why did they change?

Are 2010 sleds faster than 2009?
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.