#1 2strokesmoke800

2strokesmoke800

Captain of Vessel S.S. Stump Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Sled:16 Freeride 154

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

I have a stator from a 04mxz 800. I would like to check to see if the stator is good. I have the stator out of the sled, there is plug #1 with green and black wires. Then there is plug #2 with two yellows and a green that goes to the regulator. I am supposed to test the green and black from plug #1 for resistance correct? I am not getting a reading, so this means this stator is bad or I am doing the wrong procedure. Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Thanks guys and gals.

#2 2000 slednecker

2000 slednecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Sled:07 renegade 600 H.O. SDI

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

I have a stator from a 04mxz 800. I would like to check to see if the stator is good. I have the stator out of the sled, there is plug #1 with green and black wires. Then there is plug #2 with two yellows and a green that goes to the regulator. I am supposed to test the green and black from plug #1 for resistance correct? I am not getting a reading, so this means this stator is bad or I am doing the wrong procedure. Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Thanks guys and gals.

Yeah i had to test mine a while ago.. put your multimeter into the ohms function, i cant remember what wires to test, so test em both. but you should get some sort of numbers back or there is probably a bad spot in the wires wrapped around the stator... you can also put the stator in the sled and put the magneto and all that together and then test the wires as someone pulls the sled over for you.. test the plug that goes into your pickup, and the wire that plugs into the mpem module.. put ur multimeter into volts and you should get a reading.. not sure on what the amount should be look that up, hope that helps man..

#3 2strokesmoke800

2strokesmoke800

Captain of Vessel S.S. Stump Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Sled:16 Freeride 154

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

Yeah i had to test mine a while ago.. put your multimeter into the ohms function, i cant remember what wires to test, so test em both. but you should get some sort of numbers back or there is probably a bad spot in the wires wrapped around the stator... you can also put the stator in the sled and put the magneto and all that together and then test the wires as someone pulls the sled over for you.. test the plug that goes into your pickup, and the wire that plugs into the mpem module.. put ur multimeter into volts and you should get a reading.. not sure on what the amount should be look that up, hope that helps man..

Thank for the help. Irondog gave me this useful information:

There are three tests you can perform on the stator,

Continuity test

Set your multimeter to Ω

Read the resistance between wires as follows, any yellow wire to another yellow wire. Resistance should be 0 0.5 Ω @ 69F. Repeat test for every pair of wires.

AC Voltage Output Test

Set your multimeter to Vac scale

Manually crank motor and read the voltage for each pair of yellow wires, 3.5 5.5 Vac. Repeat test three times for each pair of yellow wires.

Stator Insulation Test

Set your multimeter to Ω

Read resistance between any yellow wire and engine ground, read resistance as follows OL (open circuit)

If any of the results are out of specification, replace stator.

#4 zipposrule

zipposrule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Sled:03 MXZ X 800 04 RENEGADE XPS II 600

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

FINALLY!!! A PLAN ENGLISH EXPLANATION OF HOW TO TEST THE STATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 zipposrule

zipposrule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

for test #1 the values should be between 0 and 0.5 ohms correct? mine are all between 0.3 and 0.4 ohms

#6 zipposrule

zipposrule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

#2 test resulted in about 2.5vac peak but i was using a digital meter so i dont know how accurate that is, i pulled the plugs out so i could get a good spin on the motor

#7 Fixit156

Fixit156

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Enduro 900 ACE

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

#2 test resulted in about 2.5vac peak but i was using a digital meter so i dont know how accurate that is, i pulled the plugs out so i could get a good spin on the motor

How did you make out with your stator? Does it charge ?

#8 zipposrule

zipposrule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:52 PM

my sled doesnt have a battery... carb sled and the stator wasnt bad. My problem was that i was not getting tach signal from the stator due to a wire being broken internally. i soldered in a new piece of wire and worked like a charm.

#9 Fixit156

Fixit156

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Enduro 900 ACE

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users