The 900 ACE NA is No-Compromise Enthusiast’s Motor - Page 19 - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

The 900 ACE NA is No-Compromise Enthusiast’s Motor

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#271 Z7*

Z7*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7266 posts
  • Interests:Family Hunting Fishing Sledding
  • Sled:2021 BC XRS

Posted 11 June 2021 - 11:10 AM

This is really only applicable to throttle mashers who get a rush out of digging trenches out of every corner.  Of course someone mashing the throttle in every corner on a 900T or an 850 will not keep up with someone who can modulate the throttle and feel the traction provided out of each corner.  A skilled rider who knows how to use the throttle will not be slower on a high power sled if the sled/suspension is set up for trail riding in my opinion.  We all know a good rider will be faster than a bad rider no matter what sled they are on.  The 600 ace I mentioned earlier we had a rental for a weekend (a guy who grew up riding with us but had moved down south and was visiting for the weekend) and we all thought it was a turd, because it was, but a good rider was able to stay close to the group on tight/twisty trails where top speed wasn't a factor.  You basically just keep the throttle mashed to the bar the entire time.

I don't think anyone would argue that a skilled rider can will keep up with most people on a 900NA in tight/twisty trails.  

Agreed, the "a good big dog will beat a good little dog" thing applies here.

#272 TheBearAk

TheBearAk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5046 posts
  • Sled:2015 Skidoo Renegade BC 600 etec

Posted 11 June 2021 - 02:18 PM

Wasn't too long ago the only sled I had was a 1996 Touring E 380 and I surprised many people with my ability to be right on their tail going down the trails.    Friend was on a Skandic 500 and he took off in front of me and we rode for about 5 miles and he stopped, figured he'd give me a chance to catch up.  He stopped, shut down and I was right there next to him.   He was shocked because he thought he had left me pretty far back.     Granted, he probably got to slow down on the corners and stuff and I just kept mine almost pinned to the bar.

That is a good memory because that ride was so beautiful.  Full moon, no clouds in the sky, and it was about 20 degrees out.   Rare, normally winter here in Alaska clear skies = very cold.  Could even see Mt McKinley.

#273 Cabinflyer

Cabinflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Sled:2016 Yamaha Viper 2021 Renegade XRS 900T

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:21 PM

If the 600 ACE is a powerhouse to you, you better not try a 200+ HP 900T, Sidewinder, etc.   :)  And that applies to corner to corner power too, as modern traction allows these sleds to really launch.  Most trails have sections where torque is still utilized/needed/desired.  

I have ridden modded 900 NAs.  I find even the 900 turbo stock lacks a bit of torque (for me).  85 mph is not a fast sled (for me).  

And we wonder why hundreds of miles of trails are closed every year and it costs more to insure a snowmobile than a car........

#274 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts
  • Sled:Poo

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

86mph sleds isn't why trails get closed, lol.

#275 Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Sled:Ski-Doo turbo which needs more power!

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:53 PM

You do not need 200 H.P. to go fast in the trails, to much power can slow you down, it's all about set up and putting the power to the ground. The real racers will under stand that. 85/90 MPH on the trails is plenty fast for any one and in most cases to fast for the guys that run at that speed! 

Bob

There are always trails where torque can be utilized, unless you're in an extremely tight section, which is typically not all day.  Lake crossings, longer straights or huge radius curves are all good examples.  I agree with the statement that many guys might ride too fast for their own good, but have to disagree with 85mph being fast enough for anyone (and also a 90 hp sled's acceleration, etc).  It just isn't IMO.  It's great that 900 NAs can be improved to be faster, etc., but I'd say for the vast majority of competent aggressive riders, it is a "compromise" engine.   For my dad or girlfriend, it's just fine.  

Snowcross guys race on a comparatively tiny course, and are always navigating the next turn..... but they don't ride 377 fanners.  :)

#276 Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:53 PM

86mph sleds isn't why trails get closed, lol.

80 mph sleds with loud fart cans!  

#277 Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:00 AM

And we wonder why hundreds of miles of trails are closed every year and it costs more to insure a snowmobile than a car........

Up here (Ontario) sled insurance is cheaper by a factor of 3 or 4.  And most crashes (here anyway) seem to be novices on an entire spectrum of machines.  The wreckers seem to have as many 900 NAs as performance sleds.  

Also here, trespassing and modified exhausts (illegal in Ontario) are the biggest factors for trail closures.  I don't think any landowner or nearby taxpayer, cares if sleds are going 60 mph or 100, as long as they're as quiet as possible, and not trespassing.  

#278 JLR82

JLR82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3793 posts
  • Sled:'20 ZR8000 Ltd

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:48 AM

Up here (Ontario) sled insurance is cheaper by a factor of 3 or 4. And most crashes (here anyway) seem to be novices on an entire spectrum of machines. The wreckers seem to have as many 900 NAs as performance sleds.

Also here, trespassing and modified exhausts (illegal in Ontario) are the biggest factors for trail closures. I don't think any landowner or nearby taxpayer, cares if sleds are going 60 mph or 100, as long as they're as quiet as possible, and not trespassing.

I'd like to know where you buy your insurance. Ontario has some of the most expensive rates out there.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

#279 Customer

Customer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Sled:Several..

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:57 AM

How About:

Real Men Drive ACE 900NAs

Moderator, can the title be changed?

(just kidding Moderator! just kidding MXZ-Man!)

I vote for "Really Old Men Drive Ace 900NAs"

#280 origYeti

origYeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Enduro 900 ACE

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:43 AM

I vote for "Really Old Men Drive Ace 900NAs"

I realize a lot of this is in fun, but these kinds of comments are actually exactly why I started this thread.

My history is, I used to think along the same line, "Intriguing engine but 90HP?  Not for me, I'm a 120HP guy."

When we got one, my thinking didn't change at first.  Once I figured it out, and really read through some Dootalk testimonials to help change my paradigm, wow.  The trail power is ALL there.  The HP numbers do not define this engine, it gives up nothing in torque and trail power to a 600.  The big fat torque curve at  trail speeds is addicting.  Top end is different - probably lose 10mph top end to a good 600.

I'm 51 years old, fit and healthy (knock on wood), been driving snowmobiles since I was 5.  I am an enthusiast and could have bought any sled on the market.

In this thread, so far after 19 pages of replies, I can sort the comments into three main categories. 

1) People WHO HAVE OWNED AND ACTUALLY PUT SOME SOME REAL MILES ON A 900NA, have been impressed or shocked at the trail power and happy-factor of this engine.  One, maybe two exceptions in this entire thread, everybody else in this category is over-the-moon happy.

2) People who DO NOT HAVE A SEASON OR MORE OF EXPERIENCE, and instead are judging this motor on its HP or a test ride.  Many in this category have strong opinions based on little or no first-hand experience.  For those people I worry they didn't drive it long enough to get through the iTC learning curve, or their egos are getting in their way.

3) Those looking for the true hyper-sled, or top performance experience.  The 900NA isn't for these folks.  Even some who have migrated from the 900NA into this category praise the NA.

So Customer please tell us, how long did you own a 900NA and how did you come to the conclusion it is for old men?

Edited by origYeti, 14 June 2021 - 09:25 AM.

#281 origYeti

origYeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Sled:2020 Renegade Enduro 900 ACE

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:01 AM

There are always trails where torque can be utilized, unless you're in an extremely tight section, which is typically not all day.  Lake crossings, longer straights or huge radius curves are all good examples.  I agree with the statement that many guys might ride too fast for their own good, but have to disagree with 85mph being fast enough for anyone (and also a 90 hp sled's acceleration, etc).  It just isn't IMO.  It's great that 900 NAs can be improved to be faster, etc., but I'd say for the vast majority of competent aggressive riders, it is a "compromise" engine.   For my dad or girlfriend, it's just fine.  

Snowcross guys race on a comparatively tiny course, and are always navigating the next turn..... but they don't ride 377 fanners.  :)

Ricky Racer I agree with many of your comments in your posts.  If a person is an aggressive rider as you describe and top speed is important, I get it.  Most of us though can't actually ride long sections at 80+mph safely and responsibly, or actually use the extra torque of a higher hp motor.  For those who are in the top few % of riders and are aggressive, and have the trails where you can use the power, then personally I have no argument, the 900NA may not have enough power.

Others on this thread have extensive experience tuning/clutching to get more power.  I don't have any first hand experience with modded 900NAs but someday would love to try some tweaks to ours.

The premise of this thread is, the 900NA even in stock form, has the kind of trail power (both acceleration and speed) that is actually more than the vast majority of us can ever use, 99% of the time.  If I'm understanding your posts correctly, you're not challenging this assertion, you're simply saying it isn't right for the kind of rider you are.  Is that accurate?

Edited by origYeti, 14 June 2021 - 12:22 PM.

#282 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts
  • Sled:Poo

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:14 PM

The premise of this thread is, the 900NA even in stock form, has the kind of trail power (both acceleration and speed) that is actually more than the vast majority of us can ever use, 99% of the time.  If I'm understanding your posts correctly, you're not challenging this assertion, you're simply saying it isn't right for the kind of rider you are.  Is that accurate?

I completely disagree with you but even if it is a 99% motor... it's that last 1% that makes the sport so addictive and thrilling for me.  The acceleration is okay under 60.  Just okay.  It doesn't have much punch over 60 mph, it falls off hard even compared to a 600 2-smoke.  So I'm not sure why you think it has more than the vast majority could ever use?  I would prefer more power, coming out of EVERY corner.

I would say, being as fair as I can, that if you ride a 900 hard... you can probably exceed a safe speed 80% of the time.  Same thing I'd say about a 550 fanner. 

#283 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6051 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

Ride a well clutched and set up 900 N.A. with traction and it will give a 600 2 stroke all it can handle and in most cases out DOO it!

Bob

My Build: "2016 Blizzard 900 ACE Build & Tune" N.A. - Dyno @ 111 H.P. Click Link for Details <p>https://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1435138-2016-blizzard-900-ace-build-tune/

:thebee: My Clutch Videos: For the beginner and the seasoned veteran, these are a must see!  

#1- E-Drive 2 Primary Disassembly  https://youtu.be/NVEv_owtvkI  #2 - E-Drive 2 Primary Reassemble  https://youtu.be/QRVFdoTPORo  #2.5 - Review  https://youtu.be/olr7Dt8BVA8

#3 - QRS Disassemble  https://youtu.be/AOR4eaXkt_s  #4 - QRS Reassemble  https://youtu.be/g-Ik1e_hK6k  #5 - Wrap up and Setting Secondary Tension  https://youtu.be/ajM23xea_Rs

#284 robertca

robertca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Sled:2016-1200X, 2021-900X turbo, 2022 coming

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:32 PM

very entertaining thread, lots of opinions on both sides of the fence.

B)

#285 Ricky Racer

Ricky Racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:16 PM

I completely disagree with you but even if it is a 99% motor... it's that last 1% that makes the sport so addictive and thrilling for me.  The acceleration is okay under 60.  Just okay.  It doesn't have much punch over 60 mph, it falls off hard even compared to a 600 2-smoke.  So I'm not sure why you think it has more than the vast majority could ever use?  I would prefer more power, coming out of EVERY corner.

I would say, being as fair as I can, that if you ride a 900 hard... you can probably exceed a safe speed 80% of the time.  Same thing I'd say about a 550 fanner. 

I have to agree.  Sledding is an adrenaline sport for me, not an "I guess that's acceptable" sport.  That excitement needs to be there, if available.  JMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users