#1 Renegade Rob

Renegade Rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, Hunting and Fishing
  • Sled:02 MXZ 800 Sport

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

Hi ,  I'm looking for someone who has a 2003 ZX Renegade in stock condition (no mods) in the Winnipeg area.  In or near Winnipeg would be preferable.  If response is poor I'll go further out as beggars can't be choosers LOL.  Reason being is that I'm converting my ZX Sport chassis to a 136 inch skid and I'd like to confirm some measurements to make sure this project is going to work before going ahead with it.  This involves hands on measuring of the tunnel and suspension.  I can drive to your location or meet somewhere that works for you.  Will be much appreciated.  Btw, I may not respond immediately as I am on and off of my PC. thanks.   RR

#2 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

2nd Whore in command

• DOOCrew
  • 101398 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 600 136" 05 Summit 800H.O 151"

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:00 PM

31 5/16” is the c to c measurement you want to use, assuming your putting an 03 136”’skid in. Pretty sure all the 136” skids for the ZX chassis used the same c to c measurements? The ZX Summit uncoupled skid might be different, can’t remember?
Pretty much your moving your rear mounting brackets back farther on the tunnel, still using your existing front mounting points to get the 31 5/16” measurement. Or make it easier on yourself and buy rail extensions from Tracks USA along with your tunnel extension?
I’ve been using those rail extensions on my 99 MXZ for 10+ years with no issues, I also went to a 136” and a 1.5” track.

Here’s a pic of the extension, it also allows you to run a full length hyfax/sliders.

A15534E4-136D-4350-85D0-D4E1AE977A27.jpeg
67673BA5-71F5-42AD-98DA-C9A1BD0C0F09.jpeg

Welcome to Dootalk!!

Edited by Ditchbangr zx, 05 May 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#3 smurfy71

smurfy71

That's probably sarcasm.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20601 posts
  • Sled:16 1200 Renegade X

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:22 AM

31 5/16” is the c to c measurement you want to use, assuming your putting an 03 136”’skid in. Pretty sure all the 136” skids for the ZX chassis used the same c to c measurements? The ZX Summit uncoupled skid might be different, can’t remember?
Pretty much your moving your rear mounting brackets back farther on the tunnel, still using your existing front mounting points to get the 31 5/16” measurement. Or make it easier on yourself and buy rail extensions from Tracks USA along with your tunnel extension?
I’ve been using those rail extensions on my 99 MXZ for 10+ years with no issues, I also went to a 136” and a 1.5” track.

Here’s a pic of the extension, it also allows you to run a full length hyfax/sliders.

attachicon.gifA15534E4-136D-4350-85D0-D4E1AE977A27.jpeg
attachicon.gif67673BA5-71F5-42AD-98DA-C9A1BD0C0F09.jpeg

Welcome to Dootalk!!

10 years, but how many miles?

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

2016 1200 Renegade X

2005 MXZ 500ss

2004 600HO SDI (For Sale)
94 MX 470

#4 Renegade Rob

Renegade Rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:07 PM

Yes for sure the tracks USA extenders are a viable option and it's my backup plan.  Priced them out not long ago and it's $300 Cdn to my doorstep.  They are a sharp lookin machined piece and as you mentioned the rail extends to the back wheel for track support.  Unlike my SLP's, my track has to bridge btwn the end of the slider and the wheel.   Ok to bridge for this current 133.5 but, in my opinion, it's too far to span for a 136.  Anyhoo, the reason I'm first trying to replace with a 136 suspension is that I have to replace my current one anyway.  I damaged it... ....Doh!  

Just to confirm 31 5/16” is the c to c from front arm shaft to rear arm shaft ?

Wish I had a set of bluprints for everything else but LOL....God only knows where to find that.

In the event that I do go for the backup plan, dimension wise, did you have to modify anything for clearance on your zx to fit your 1 1/2" paddles?  Note: I'm assuming both pictures are from the same machine (that suspension is beefy).

#5 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

2nd Whore in command

• DOOCrew
  • 101398 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 10:03 PM

Yes for sure the tracks USA extenders are a viable option and it's my backup plan.  Priced them out not long ago and it's $300 Cdn to my doorstep.  They are a sharp lookin machined piece and as you mentioned the rail extends to the back wheel for track support.  Unlike my SLP's, my track has to bridge btwn the end of the slider and the wheel.   Ok to bridge for this current 133.5 but, in my opinion, it's too far to span for a 136.  Anyhoo, the reason I'm first trying to replace with a 136 suspension is that I have to replace my current one anyway.  I damaged it... ....Doh!  

Just to confirm 31 5/16” is the c to c from front arm shaft to rear arm shaft ?

Wish I had a set of bluprints for everything else but LOL....God only knows where to find that.

In the event that I do go for the backup plan, dimension wise, did you have to modify anything for clearance on your zx to fit your 1 1/2" paddles?  Note: I'm assuming both pictures are from the same machine (that suspension is beefy).

Yes SLP rail extensions suck!!

Yes, 31 5/16” is the measurement from the front (exciting mounting hole)to the rear mounting point. Yes you can make a template, just a thin piece of aluminum will work. The rail extensions will be cheaper if you already have a 121 skid with rebuildable shocks? Good shocks make more of a difference than adding a longer track for traction?if your doing more off trail the longer track amd good shocks make another big difference on how you have the shocks built?
On my 99 ZX I just took the upper axle shaft/wheels out, the 1.5” lug fits fine! 1.75” would have fit I think?

Don’t forget there are big wheel kits to make up a difference in track length?

#6 Renegade Rob

Renegade Rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:41 PM

LOL.... I think I bust a gut on your first line !!!

Thanks for the measurement and feedback,  good start/direction to the project.    Concur, I'm leaning somewhat more towards off trail.  With the 1 1/2" track did you have to pull out the nylon guards from under the rear heat exchanger (judging from the pictures I see no picks)?  Not sure if my guards are original but they are 3/4" tall.  

#7 halver22

halver22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15659 posts
  • Interests:finance mismanagement
  • Sled:junk

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for the measurement and feedback, good start/direction to the project. Concur, I'm leaning somewhat more towards off trail. With the 1 1/2" track did you have to pull out the nylon guards from under the rear heat exchanger (judging from the pictures I see no picks)? Not sure if my guards are original but they are 3/4" tall.

I also have a 99 MXZ 600 and have put an 1.5" lug track in, but just a 121" length. It fits fine but I removed the upper axle that is bolted in the middle of the tunnel. It helps with clearance and haven't had any issues.

With the rail extensions you don't need to move mounting points because you use the existing suspension geometry and simply extend the footprint. If you install a different skid, from a Renegade say, you will have to adjust the mounting points as that suspension has a different geometry.

Sent from your mom's house

Take it with a grain of salt^

#8 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

2nd Whore in command

• DOOCrew
  • 101398 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the measurement and feedback,  good start/direction to the project.    Concur, I'm leaning somewhat more towards off trail.  With the 1 1/2" track did you have to pull out the nylon guards from under the rear heat exchanger (judging from the pictures I see no picks)?  Not sure if my guards are original but they are 3/4" tall.

Yes I did remove the tunnel protectors cause I’m not running studs.

#9 Renegade Rob

Renegade Rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:58 PM

Gents,  thanks for the feedback. 

Concur halver22, in the event that I choose to replace my 121" suspension to a 136 I have to be cognisant of the mounting points.  A few years ago I fabricated stainless steel angle pieces to reinforce and extend my tunnel.  Runs inside my tunnel from the gas tank and out the back so I can pretty much mount the back mounting point anywhere I want.  My concern is more the front at the bulk head and it's odd configuration.  ie relative positioning of the front drive axle, track clearances etc..  I don't know if the 03 renegade bulk head is the identical twin as my sport or not.  Ideally, if I get a Manitoba response, I'd like to measure that hands on.  

In the event that I replace with the same 121 suspension and extensions:  Interesting, both you guys mentioned that you removed the top axle wheels for more track clearance (Hope I understood this correctly).  Without these wheels, doesn't the inside of the track (including drive lugs) rub against the top of the rear arm during acceleration?   Any signs of rubbing?

#10 halver22

halver22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15659 posts
  • Interests:finance mismanagement
  • Sled:junk

Posted 10 May 2021 - 10:40 PM

Gents, thanks for the feedback.

Concur halver22, in the event that I choose to replace my 121" suspension to a 136 I have to be cognisant of the mounting points. A few years ago I fabricated stainless steel angle pieces to reinforce and extend my tunnel. Runs inside my tunnel from the gas tank and out the back so I can pretty much mount the back mounting point anywhere I want. My concern is more the front at the bulk head and it's odd configuration. ie relative positioning of the front drive axle, track clearances etc.. I don't know if the 03 renegade bulk head is the identical twin as my sport or not. Ideally, if I get a Manitoba response, I'd like to measure that hands on.

In the event that I replace with the same 121 suspension and extensions: Interesting, both you guys mentioned that you removed the top axle wheels for more track clearance (Hope I understood this correctly). Without these wheels, doesn't the inside of the track (including drive lugs) rub against the top of the rear arm during acceleration? Any signs of rubbing?

I have not seen any signs of rubbing. I know the 1.5" leaves *just enough* room at the front of the tunnel, or it felt like it. Just enough to pinch a finger between the lug and the tunnel.

Best of luck in your project

Sent from your mom's house

Take it with a grain of salt^

#11 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

2nd Whore in command

• DOOCrew
  • 101398 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:04 PM

8 tooth drivers and you will clear 2” lugs! You can offset the skid for better off trail, moving the original mounting points, but it better be done right and centered in the tunnel right. Really depends on your riding style!

#12 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

2nd Whore in command

• DOOCrew
  • 101398 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:11 PM

10 years, but how many miles?
Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

10K easy!
I bought it for $2800 in 03-04........great investment 🤑🤑🤑🤑
Best i e ever bought and still runs like a top, most of the time 😜

#13 Renegade Rob

Renegade Rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:21 PM

I just won't run the track when checking with my fingers LOL!  Good to know,  thanks halver22.

The 8 tooth driver is a good idea but I'm trying to keep my cost down as much as possible but if push comes to shove I'll doo/get it.   4 sure offsetting skid has to be done right.  If I don't find a renegade for my benchmark then I'll just opt for the backup plan.  10 K nice!    9 k on mine (06 engine) but my luck it'l blow up once my project is done LOL!  

#14 Renegade Rob

Renegade Rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:36 PM

Ditchbangr ZX,  I should have asked to be clear, did you install an 8 tooth driver ?  If so, did you notice a significant change in RPM?   I'm not exactly in the mountains here...LOL :rolleyes: but I'd likely have to change my sprockets accordingly. 

#15 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

2nd Whore in command

• DOOCrew
  • 101398 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:42 AM

No I’m running stock 9 tooth drivers. But I dropped 2 teeth off the top gear in the chain case when I went with the 136.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users