2012 Summit XP Oil leak ? - REV-XP / XM Chassis - Mountain Sleds - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

2012 Summit XP Oil leak ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ehkmcveh

ehkmcveh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sled:2012 Summit REV XP

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:37 PM

Had a top end rebuild a 2 years ago/300km. Have what appears to be oil/water mixture dripping when my sled is parked after a hard rip. This a photo of the drip on top of the mountain. 

oil drip .jpg

Pulled off the muffler and acoustic panel as shown in photo. Appears to be oil but have no clue where its coming from. Any pros have a clue where it could be coming from. I have the service manual, just need a couple clues to start me off.

oil leak 2.jpg

Pretty minor leak, just dont want it to turn into a major :)

#2 ehkmcveh

ehkmcveh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:04 PM

Found 2 bolt missing off the y pipe, others might be loose will check when I have a second. Wonder if the engine could have been spewing out the exhaust y pipe, causing the residue in the engine bay, then once snow gets in it appears to be dripping down ??? Just a thought

It’s not coolant either as mine is green

Wonder if it could be coming out of the chain case breather ? Doesn’t sound likely

Any help or guess from
Anyone would be appreciated

#3 ajellis12

ajellis12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Sled:09 Summit xm 800 ptek 154”

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:49 PM

My 800R PTEK did the same thing lost a few bolts and the whole front of the motor was covered in oil. I could imagine if snow got in it would wash some down. Make sure you replace both exhaust gaskets and use the new part number for the bolts they are serrated so they don’t back out

#4 Dman800

Dman800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Sled:2010 xrs 800, 03 Rev 144”

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:36 PM

My Ptek did the same but I knew it was 2 stroke oil coming from around the oil pump. I just dealt with it for a season. That is probably not a well accepted fix but oh well. Couple drops after running vs taking darn near the entire engine out to get to it. Figured I’d take care of it when the engine blew up anyways.

But on to your sled. Get a couple cans of brake cleaner. Spray the entire engine down including under the motor. Rinse it down with a pressure washer or hose after. Keep high pressure away from connectors and electrical components. In order to see where it’s coming from, have to get all the old crap and crude out first. Then start your investigation after a good rip. You’ll be able to have some idea where it’s coming from. And I’ve not had a breather for the chaincase lead to any spills. I suppose if the sled was upside down for awhile.

#5 ehkmcveh

ehkmcveh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah it’s an ETEC, so I think it burns pretty clean, I got a feelings it’s not coming from the y pipe with the missing bolts. Yeah I got OEM bolts and locks found, just gotta pick em up

Yeah sled hasn’t been upside down for a extended period so chain case if prob out.....

Still a bit confused on where it could be coming from, gotta do some reading on the operation of the engine ...
Possibly oil pump

#6 I.P.Yellow

I.P.Yellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Camping, Hanging with my wife and 3 girls
  • Sled:'10 600 Etec 146, ‘06 Freestyle

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Look up where oil filter breather attaches up by steering post. Could just be oil venting out from tank. That happened to me before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users