Overheating ? - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Overheating ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 seedman76

seedman76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Sled:2016 Ski-Doo Renegade Enduro

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:27 PM

I've only had sleds 2 years so still trying to ask some basic questions to learn as much as I can.  I've got two 2016 Renegades, one 800 Etec, one 600 Etec.  Neither has an overheating issue as they'll run perfectly normal under most all snow conditions.  That said, when I get in the typical "crappy" snow/ice conditions or lack there of, they will overheat.  More common on the 800 as it must run "hotter" but both will do it under the "wrong" conditions.  My question is, when I notice my sleds getting hot, which I'm assuming one would consider to be around >170F should I be stopping to let them cool down right away or do you guys keep running them till the overheat alarm comes on at 185F and then immediately stop to allow them to cool?  Normally they run in the 110-150F range depending on conditions but every season I run into those conditions where they want to heat up.  I probably should look into ice scratchers for each sled.  I baby my sleds so just making sure I'm allowing them to cool down at the best time so as not to do any damage.  Thanks.  

#2 DareDog

DareDog

E-Tec Rules

• DOOCrew
  • 33166 posts
  • Sled:2010 600 Etec

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:37 PM

Stop and let it cool down over 170. Put a pile on snow on back tunnel to cool it down faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Fleet:
1998 Formula III 700-14,000 Miles
2004 600ho- 18,300 Miles
2005 500ss- 9,500 Miles
2010 600 HO Etec- 13,000 Miles

2016 600 HO Etec Blizzard-7,500 Miles 

2016 600 HO Etec Blizzard- 5,000 Miles

2017 600 Ace Blizzard - 1,350 Miles 

(2) 1975 245 RV 

1964 skidoo four cycle

1964 huski 

#3 72bu

72bu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1505 posts
  • Sled:2011 MXZX 800 E-TEC / 2018 MXZX 850

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:45 PM

I will stop and cool them down when they hit 160 degrees. This is my personal preference because I've seen many engines damaged from too much heat. You might not have problems now but possibly in the future from overheating..

Edited by 72bu, 07 April 2021 - 04:46 PM.

#4 mike0chek

mike0chek

Banshee Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6542 posts
  • Interests:cold temps, deep snow, banshees
  • Sled:2019 backcountry 850 XRS 16,236 miles

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:50 PM

had my 850 overheat last weekend in basically pure ice trail conditions. hit the kill switch at 174 degrees, kicked up some chucks of frozen snow/ice and put a bunch ontop of the tunnel

#5 Sumrof69

Sumrof69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2630 posts
  • Interests:Being a Grampa, Sledding, Flying. Building aircraft, Vintage Sled's, Travelling to new places
  • Sled:2016 MXZX 800 R Renegade

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

I've only had sleds 2 years so still trying to ask some basic questions to learn as much as I can.  I've got two 2016 Renegades, one 800 Etec, one 600 Etec.  Neither has an overheating issue as they'll run perfectly normal under most all snow conditions.  That said, when I get in the typical "crappy" snow/ice conditions or lack there of, they will overheat.  More common on the 800 as it must run "hotter" but both will do it under the "wrong" conditions.  My question is, when I notice my sleds getting hot, which I'm assuming one would consider to be around >170F should I be stopping to let them cool down right away or do you guys keep running them till the overheat alarm comes on at 185F and then immediately stop to allow them to cool?  Normally they run in the 110-150F range depending on conditions but every season I run into those conditions where they want to heat up.  I probably should look into ice scratchers for each sled.  I baby my sleds so just making sure I'm allowing them to cool down at the best time so as not to do any damage.  Thanks.  

Get yourself some scratchers, i have a 16 800 Renegade also , You are ok when your temp gauge is in the 4 bar range, when it hits 5 bars you need some cooling, But the simple thing to do is put scratchers on, all you have to decide is which ones, That will solve your heating issues

Running my scratchers my sled will run between 115 and 145 F all day long

Edited by Sumrof69, 07 April 2021 - 05:15 PM.

#6 doodog

doodog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2207 posts
  • Sled:19 Backcountry 600R, 15 gade 600

•    

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

Scratchers and also make sure to dip off to the side in some “fresh” snow every so often (or every chance you get in poor conditions) to get some snow on the hyfax and to throw it up under the tunnel to keep it cool. Like others have said when you stop pile some snow and pack it on the tunnel behind the seat.

#7 nm9stheham

nm9stheham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Sled:GT 600 ACE

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

Scratching my head over part of this.....no pun intended LOL. The cooling system has a pump..... stopping the engine stops the pump. If you have have ever monitored a temp sensor and stopped any engine, the coolant temp in the block/head will first go up, not down, if you stop the coolant flow. Stopping the engine stops the whole mechanism to remove heat. Putting snow on the heat exchanger just cools the coolant in the heat exchanger, not in the engine.

Seems like Step 1 is to just slow way down to see if reducing the heat output of the engine gets the temps down, and keep the coolant flowing. If there are any bits of snow/ice still being flung up on the heat exchanger at a lower speed, then you will see pretty quickly if this helps or not. If it does not work, then step 2 is to stop.

If stopped, I'd for sure open the side panels to allow as much cool air to get to the engine as possible.

#8 tnts4me

tnts4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3185 posts
  • Sled:16 MXZx 1200

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:00 PM

Another thing to do is check for ice in the tunnel, if you have an ice build up it's hard for the snow to get to the exchangers.  My son carries a rubber mallet to tap the sides of the tunnel to get rid of the ice build up, we do this almost every time we stop.  You'll be surprised at the amount that can accumulate underneath there.  We also put it in reverse to get it out.

Days Get Shorter, Nights Get Longer, Snow Gets Deeper, Life Gets Better.

Previous Sleds

70 Blizzard 440

71 Elan

72 TN'T 400 F/A

73 Blizzard 298,

73 Olympique 440

73 TN'T 294

74 TN'T 400 F/A

75 R/V 245 (serial # 0001)

75 R/V 245 mod

75 R/V 245 (3 of them)

76 R/V 250 (2 of them)

76 R/V 340

77 R/V 340 (3 of them)

77 Blizzard 440 Super Stocker - Michigan Version

77 Moto-Ski 340 Super Sonic Super Stocker - Michigan Version

78 Sno Pro 340 SS

81 Citation SS

97 MXZx 440 (serial # 16)

99 MXZx 440

04 REV 600 HO

Current sleds

16 MXZx 1200 Yellow/White

97 MXZ 440 F/C for the grandkids

#9 Pit Grunt

Pit Grunt

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8729 posts
  • Interests:ADMIN
  • Sled:2020 900 ACE Renegade DOOTALK sled

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:43 PM

At 170 dip it and spin track and keep going. Dip and spin......

WE RIDE !!!

#10 mxz7

mxz7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Sled:17 TNT 850, 13 Ren Adr 800, 09 154 50th

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:38 PM

Another fix that hasn’t been mentioned. On the XP and XS chassis make sure the rear torsion springs are set so the snow flap touches the ground or very close to it in marginal snow conditions.

#11 seedman76

seedman76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:07 PM

Another fix that hasn’t been mentioned. On the XP and XS chassis make sure the rear torsion springs are set so the snow flap touches the ground or very close to it in marginal snow conditions.

Thanks all for the tips. Good stuff. My sleds are Enduros so having the air adjustable rear shock does really help in the right conditions. It’ll run hotter at a 3 suspension setting vs a 2 setting as the snow flap is higher off the ground. I typically run it at a 2 as with my weight that puts the flap very close but not touching the ground. This is all when running on low snow, icy snow conditions, etc. With good snow conditions overheating is never an issue for me. Unfortunately this season in central MN didn’t offer much in the way of good snow conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6353 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:47 AM

Thanks all for the tips. Good stuff. My sleds are Enduros so having the air adjustable rear shock does really help in the right conditions. It’ll run hotter at a 3 suspension setting vs a 2 setting as the snow flap is higher off the ground. I typically run it at a 2 as with my weight that puts the flap very close but not touching the ground. This is all when running on low snow, icy snow conditions, etc. With good snow conditions overheating is never an issue for me. Unfortunately this season in central MN didn’t offer much in the way of good snow conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have scratchers for my Enduro for ice and very hard back in cold temps. Otherwise I will drop the Air Suspension so the snow flap drags if I start running warm and it cools right down.

#13 curta3531

curta3531

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Hemi Challenger, Hemi Charger
  • Sled:2019 MXZ X 850

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:03 AM

I pack snow on the tunnel like this.  LOL.....  But seriously on the G4s packing snow on top of the tunnel does help because the exchanger is integral to the tunnel.  Don't think it will help much on the prior models.

41254322841_e782af663e_c.jpg

Curta3531

Cromwell, CT

#14 seedman76

seedman76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:01 AM

Scratching my head over part of this.....no pun intended LOL. The cooling system has a pump..... stopping the engine stops the pump. If you have have ever monitored a temp sensor and stopped any engine, the coolant temp in the block/head will first go up, not down, if you stop the coolant flow. Stopping the engine stops the whole mechanism to remove heat. Putting snow on the heat exchanger just cools the coolant in the heat exchanger, not in the engine.

Seems like Step 1 is to just slow way down to see if reducing the heat output of the engine gets the temps down, and keep the coolant flowing. If there are any bits of snow/ice still being flung up on the heat exchanger at a lower speed, then you will see pretty quickly if this helps or not. If it does not work, then step 2 is to stop.

If stopped, I'd for sure open the side panels to allow as much cool air to get to the engine as possible.

I've tried this many times thinking along the same lines.  Unfortunately it doesn't work or hasn't for me at least.  It might if one had decent snow...but then you probably wouldn't be overheating anyway.  With poor snow, low snow, ice, etc., in my experience slowing down in that 10-25mph range never seems to help.  Bottom line, the reason I'm overheating is lack of snow being thrown on the heat exchanger.  Slowing down doesn't solve that when the snow is lacking.  Thanks for the idea though.  

#15 treeboy

treeboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Being in the mountains near everyday.
  • Sled:Too many

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:22 AM

Install some scratchers, pile snow on top of the heat exchanger, dip into the softer snow when you can, learn how to do the track chainsaw into the snow to cool your sled down, take off the tunnel bags they act as insulators, and keep your snow flap on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users