New to sledding, looking for some advice - Skandic / Expedition - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

New to sledding, looking for some advice

Expedition 600 ACE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luccier

Luccier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sled:2012 Expedition 600 ACE

Posted 27 March 2021 - 12:28 AM

Hello everyone,

I've recently purchased a 2012 expedition ACE, and am having a great time with it. It was used (obviously) but really does seem to be going strong. There are a couple of quirks I was wondering if I could ask about. As a caveat: I am very new to snow machines, and so I am sorry if some of these are stupid.

1. Speedometer/tach- this is no longer working. I took the top off and unplugged and replugged the BRP device, and it worked for about 15 minutes before stopping. This seems to suggest that there is a connection problem. Do you know if I can replace the connector piece? Is this hard to do? Is there often corrosion on the points and can you just clean them off?

2. Handwarmers- yesterday I was out in -25 C (I live up north) and my bars were barely warm. Is there a way to change this setting? Frustratingly they seemed to work better when it warmed up to -5

3. Gun/chainsaw mounts- if anyone has experience with this particular sled and mounting things please feel free to weigh in. I live in a small town and need to order everything so can't just try to make things fit.

Also, if people have general advice regarding common mistakes I would love to hear them! 

Thanks so much,

#2 69skiroule

69skiroule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Sled:2021 850 expedition, 2018 850 mxz

Posted 27 March 2021 - 04:52 AM

Welcome to Doo Talk,

I will  let others answer #1 and #3 as there are individuals on the thread that are far more knowledgeable then I am.

Re #2 I assume you found the hand and thumb warmer adjustment on the left side of the handle bars.   The exterior one is for the the hand  warmers and the interior is for the thumb warmer they normally display on the dash but likely not working as you spoke of tech etc not displaying. The problem with the XU models is the hand and thumb warmers do not work at idle or if you where driving around very slow. They have fixed this on the G4's. It also possible that the controls for the handle warmers run through the dash I will let some one who knows for sure comment on this. 

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

#3 Luccier

Luccier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:14 AM

Hi there- yes i found the hand warmer adjusters (by that I assume you mean the little yellow switches that go on and off). I am not sure if there is another more specific adjustment.

I was indeed putting along at about 20 km/h through the trees or so. I am not sure if this is what you mean by slow or not.

#4 gizzy_44

gizzy_44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing,trapping,off trail snowmobiling
  • Sled:2015 WT Skandic 900 ace

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:03 AM

I think the rpm needs to be over 2200 for hand/thumb warmers to function

#5 _Jack

_Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Sled:14 Skandic WT & 16 MXZ Both 600 Ace

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:59 AM

Luccier:  The handle bar on my Skandic is steel, and the hand warmers are directly against the handle bar, under the grips.  On the MXZ, there is a cork liner between the heater and the bar.  Not sure which you have, or if the bar was intended to have the cork liners and they left them off.   The MXZ with the cork heats up in a blink.  While the Skandic takes a while, and there is a lag between increasing the setting and feeling the heat.  I have added the clear top, Ski Doo brand Handle Bar Hand Muffs.  Lover them.  Worth every dollar.  

If you do take the plunge and take off the grips to investigate, there is a trick to getting them on and off with compressed air being pushed though the hole on the end..  Blows up the grip so it can slide on or off.  

As far as swapping out an electrical connector, they do go bad, just had to replace one on the Voltage Regulator.  It is not that hard at all.  But if you have never done one, the first one is tricky.  Look for Youtube instructions.  The outer shield will need to come off, then you will need a small, almost tiny, flat screw driver to release the terminals from the housing.  You probably can just replace the terminals and re-use the housing.  You may also need a crimping tool to secure the wires to the terminals.  Be sure to install the wire seal onto the wire before mounting the terminal.  :- )  Then push the terminal back into the housing until it "clicks" and set the seal.  The parts frequently come as a kit with new terminals, seals shield, and housing.  Before you spend time on the connector, suggest you look at the wires, you may have a break or a wire to wire short in the bundle.  Look for where the wire looks kinked or there is a bulge in the insulation.  Especially look for where a wire may have worn, where two wires are both worn next to each other, shorting between them.  Look for where the wires are held with a zip tie, at a hold point or a sharp bend.  The other thing to check is the quality of the latch on the display, make sure the barb (or hook) is not too worn or broken off.  

These are great sleds, lots of fun.  And very reliable.  As you read the posts about different issues, there are lots and lots of sleds out there and what you are reading is the occasional exception.   

Enjoy and welcome.  

_Jack

#6 Luccier

Luccier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 05:13 PM

Hi thanks for the reply. I have finally had time to take the sled apart. First off I noticed that on the speedo one of the pins was bent; I straightened that.

I then looked at the connector. I cleaned it and put some dielectric grease on it. Sadly this did not seem to help, but I did notice that if I squeeze the heck out of the connector the tach etc starts to work (no luck on the speedo). I am going to guess that this means that the connector piece is broken, and I need to replace it as you said. 

Do you have a good website to order parts from?

Thanks Jack!

#7 slo_mo

slo_mo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Sled:Renegade ACE600

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:22 AM

With regard to your speedometer, I would be investigating the long thing embedded on your chain case cover - it reads the revolutions in the chain case and does math to figure speed. Maybe wires crimped at the point where it circles around the battery area? 

Here are links to skidoo Canada on-line parts - good parts diagrams:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users