#2 TTA89

TTA89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Sled:2020 850 MXZ XRS

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:17 AM

Cool, can't wait to see what they come up with. 

-Mike

2020 MXZ XRS 850

2015 Renegade Adrenaline 900 ACE

#3 County Line

County Line

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Sled:2019 Polaris SBA 850 2013 BCX 800

Posted 25 March 2021 - 10:31 AM

I guess electric vehicles are going to find us one way or another.  I have a concern about them as I have an off grid cottage, my solar system would never charge such items.

In Northern New Brunswick where we usually sled the lodges are run by generator and grid power could be 50 km away or more.  What happens when 50 sleds are there looking to charge up?

#4 pwrplay

pwrplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Sled:2018 Ski Doo Grand Touring SE 900 ACE

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

People have to realize that the introduction of electric snowmobiles won't mean the discontinuation of the ICE snowmobile. They will co-exist for many many years to come.  Electric snowmobiles will first fill a niche market of users like Ski Resort Operators, Snowmobile Tourism Operators, Ice fishing enthusiast, and riders that don't tend to venture too far from home base when riding. 

Battery capacities, size, weight and efficiencies, will improve in time and the shift to all electric snowmobiles will happen, provided that climate change doesn't kill the sport first.  ;)

Current Sleds

2018 Grand Touring SE 900 ACE

2016 Grand Touring Sport 600 ACE

Previous Sleds

2011 Grand Touring Sport 600 ACE (Sold @ 9700kms) 

#5 eiderz

eiderz

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 192 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedition 550f, 18 & 22 Enduro 900

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:31 AM

I guess electric vehicles are going to find us one way or another.  I have a concern about them as I have an off grid cottage, my solar system would never charge such items.

In Northern New Brunswick where we usually sled the lodges are run by generator and grid power could be 50 km away or more.  What happens when 50 sleds are there looking to charge up?

Looking at electric cars, I've been wondering the same for several years. With current fuels, take a can and fill up in the woods. With electric, SOL unless/until onsite power or major electric grid improvements are made. Tough to fill a 5 gallon can with electricity. While there are certainly well meaning people behind the push to electric, it also provides a means to control transportation. What politician doesn't like control?

#6 eiderz

eiderz

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 192 posts
  • Sled:2015 Expedition 550f, 18 & 22 Enduro 900

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:47 AM

People have to realize that the introduction of electric snowmobiles won't mean the discontinuation of the ICE snowmobile. They will co-exist for many many years to come.  Electric snowmobiles will first fill a niche market of users like Ski Resort Operators, Snowmobile Tourism Operators, Ice fishing enthusiast, and riders that don't tend to venture too far from home base when riding. 

Battery capacities, size, weight and efficiencies, will improve in time and the shift to all electric snowmobiles will happen, provided that climate change doesn't kill the sport first.  ;)

After a mini-rant in my previous post, I am rooting for electric to succeed. If efficient, long range batteries are developed it will be fun to buzz around even quieter than a 4 stroke. And electric motors are wicked torqie, talk about power off the line! And hill climbing! WooHoo!

#7 pwrplay

pwrplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:59 AM

When i saw BRP's 5 year plan for electric sleds, at first I was a little bit surprised.  I thought that BRP would be more inclined to purchase Taiga motors since they already have a jump on the technology in snowmobile applications. 

But after thinking about it a bit more, I realized that excellent electric propulsion technology is already out there so no need to re-invent it. All that BRP needs to do is design a chassis to accommodate the unique requirements of an electric snowmobile. Plus Taiga is about to go public with an initial Market Cap at $537 million US, so BRP's $350 million investment is quite a bit cheaper than the premium to buy Taiga once it goes public. 

Current Sleds

Previous Sleds

#8 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16767 posts
  • Interests:ice fishing, R/C racing, photography
  • Sled:89 Mach1, 05 500ss, 20 Gade 600ace

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:13 PM

I wanna take a spin in the kart!

#9 Customer

Customer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Sled:Several..

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:28 PM

Your on track, super high gas prices coupled with a new green fuel tax are required to fund incentives to buy electric.

#10 pwrplay

pwrplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:44 PM

Your on track, super high gas prices coupled with a new green fuel tax are required to fund incentives to buy electric.

Honestly, I think the only incentives needed for electric Off Road vehicles is -reliability, -performance, and -range. I think those 3 things alone will dictate the electric off road vehicle market share. 

Right now the only major limiting factor for ALL electric ORV's is range. Once range on E-ORV's  is comparable to ICE-ORV's, then Electric ORV's will take off big time. 

Range is directly related to  battery efficiency and weight. Once efficiency goes up and weight comes down for the batteries, then range will become more in line with ICE ORV's.

Current Sleds

Previous Sleds

#11 Customer

Customer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Sled:Several..

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

How about the infrastructure required to support this, how does that get paid for?? Five year plan is optimistic....

Edited by Customer, 25 March 2021 - 01:22 PM.

#12 Brad460

Brad460

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Motocross and snowmobiles
  • Sled:MXZ6 and ZR6

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:23 PM

In 5 years they will have at least one electric model offering in each product line...good news for the 2 Stoke Taliban..ICE will be around for a long time...

#13 pwrplay

pwrplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:34 PM

How about the infrastructure required to support this, how does that get paid for?? Five year plan is optimistic....

This falls under the category of "range". As range for EV's increases, so will demand. Business investment will provide the infrastructure based on demand. That's how a Capitalist economy works.

Current Sleds

Previous Sleds

#14 Burtamiss

Burtamiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2544 posts
  • Sled:2018 XRS RENY 850, 05 600HO SDI HYBRID

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:36 PM

They will have some drawbacks other than ones already mentioned. If people or animals can't hear you coming, how many more accidents will occur?

2018 XRS RENY 850: 1.5 ICE Storm, 6"-8" adjustable riser, HRSS Clutch Kit, Pilot 6.9s, Aux high beams, Hi-torque rollers

2005 600 SDI: X style windscreen, Custom 4" bar risers, RSI bar pad, SS brake line, Wave brake rotor, Oil pump mod, Custom chassis bracing, 21 tooth top gear/ 44 tooth bottom, 10 tooth extrovert drivers, 440 Motor Plate, Boyesen rage cage and reeds, Dynamo Joe clutch kit, Rox Power Madd hand gaurds, Power Madd ESR seat riser kit, 2002 440 front piggybacks, 2012 XRS RMOTION W/PRO 40'S, Ripsaw ll 1.25" Track, PDP XS snow flap, Taller upper ball joint, Pilot 5.7 ski's, Replica XRS graphics

#15 Skeld

Skeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Interests:North Maine Woods
  • Sled:2020 Ski-Doo Expedition Xtreme

Posted 25 March 2021 - 01:36 PM

If ICE goes away it will probably kill the sport for me.  I do most of my riding from an off grid camp where I have a 500 gallon tank I fill before snow every winter (not plowed into where camp is, sometimes you can't get within 20 miles of it with a truck).  Hopefully it will be a slow process and I will be old and washed up before ICE sleds are gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users