Smoothest Tracking setup for 2022 Exp Sport 900 ACE ? - Freestyle / Legend / Tundra / Expedition Sport - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Smoothest Tracking setup for 2022 Exp Sport 900 ACE ?

skis suspension setup darting tracking

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ptnick

Ptnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition Sport Ace 900

Posted 17 March 2021 - 12:35 AM

Bear with me, this is really about an Expedition Sport 900 ACE:

I am new to sleds.  I live in great sledding country in WA state and recently bought a lightly used 2016 Polaris 800 SKS mountain sled. 900 miles, looked perfect. Ran sweetly.  My first few hours of use was on soft snow and all went really well. I went on a couple of short trail rides on soft snow with speeds up to about 30 mph, which felt really fast to me, but controlled and fun.

My next ride was a disaster.  I was following a friend on a hard pack straightaway,  closed to traffic highway, leading up to Washington Pass. He took off at about 50 mph and almost as soon as I got up to 40 the sled swerved radically to the left and rolled violently. I was thrown clear, was not seriously injured, only  banged up, amazingly.   The sled was worse: bent tunnel, windscreen broken, hand guards broken, rear bumper destroyed (by attached ski rack and leverage of the tumbling skis on the rack).  It happened in an instant and I had absolutely no idea what happened.  BTW, I'm 72 with a lifetime of running machines, 2000 hr. bush pilot, but a newbie in sled world.

With research and friends, I learned that the suspension was grossly out of adjustment for my weight. The rear track shock spring preload was barely set at all, far looser than the factory spec of 10.5" which was for riders up to 220.  Maybe 10-7/8".  Should have been 10-1/8" My weight:  With my ski equipment and other baggage came in at  260.

So, I've used up some of my 9 lives in sledding terms.  

I've just ordered a 2022 Expedition Sport 900 ace. I'm looking to get away from exhaust smoke and noise as much as possible and Expeditions are popular here, especially for my use.

My greatest concern is the reports I've read of darting in icy conditions.  Needless to say, it is extremely important to my sanity and enjoyment to set up my new sled for maximum tracking and stability. The major Criticisms of the Expedition Ds2 skis, especially with skins,  have been from LE and SE owners.   Many folks on the forum report huge improvement by switching to Simmons Gen 2 skis or others.    So I'm wondering, would this be a prudent change to make to my new sled right off the bat?  Or, does this ski only suit the wide track Expeditions?  Are the stock skis just fine? For hard pack?  Soft snow won't be an issue in either event, I'm guessing.

Any and all suggestions to the equipping and adjustment of my new sled would be greatly appreciated.  I'm obviously cautious in light of what happened, and I'm obviously going to make sure that the new sled is properly adjusted.  I just want to know any and all factors that contribute to safe fast hard snow travel.

Thanks in advance.

#2 SubArctic

SubArctic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Sled:2019 Expedition Sport 900 ace

Posted 17 March 2021 - 08:33 AM

I’m a huge fan of Simmon’s Gen II’s on my sport, but it sounds like you’re primarily a trail rider. I’m not too familiar with the DS2’s and trail performance, you may be ok. I travel a lot of sea ice myself, which can get really hard and crusty at times with deep grooves from other ski’s or sleds which leads to severe darting. You might also look into finding a pair of Pilot 6.9’s from BRP as well. Should be a bit cheaper than Simmons too. I’ve had those ski’s on two sleds and have found them to be my favourite ski made by BRP. I’ll admit though that others who ride trails with DS2’s may be able to provide better advice. Best of luck with your new Ski-Doo!

Edit: I should also caution that the Simmons are much heavier steering as well. You will feel it in your elbows/arms/shoulders for sure. The DS2’s and 6.9’s are much lighter steering.

Edited by SubArctic, 17 March 2021 - 08:40 AM.

2019 Expedition Sport 900 ACE
- Grab Handle
- Adventure Cargo Box
- Simmons Gen II Ski’s
- Knee Pads
- 1 gal Gas Caddy
- Full Body Skid Plate
- Wrap Around Front Bumper
- Side Panel Protectors
- HD Front Bumper
- Y-shaped Aluminum Hull Protector
- Block Heater
- Tunnel Mount Ice Scratchers

#3 crk133

crk133

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Sled:Apex XTX and a few others

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:15 PM

I put ds2s with semi-aggressive snow trackers on my 20 Enduro this year. It was later in the season but I had varying conditions from "deep" off-trail, hard pack, ice and great. They handled very predictably with minimal darting in the worst conditions. I'm ordering an expedition sport for the fall in the first thing I will do is add the semi-aggressive snow trackers to the skis.

#4 600ace

600ace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:family, Snowmobiling, Golf, Snow Groomers,
  • Sled:(2) 2017& (2), 2016 900 blizzard s

Posted 20 March 2021 - 04:40 AM

SNOWTRACKERS  AND DONE

#5 alainm

alainm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Ski-Doo 2021 Expedition Sport 900ACE
    Ski-Doo 1988 Safari 377 with SC-4 rear suspension

Retired sleds
    Ski-Doo 2002 MXZ 380Fan
  • Sled:Expedition Sport 900 ACE

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:18 AM

I have the 2021 expy sport 900ace.

Snowtrackers and HD torsion springs part numbers for the springs is 503191247, 503191249.

I weigh 165 and I already have the rear torsion at 5, I will be ordering the HD this summer.

Also you need to tune your suspension, play with the settings, I have mine at 2or3 front, the strap is at 3 centre shock 2 and rear torsion is at 5.

The strap could be let out one in soft conditions or pulled one in hard cold pack.

Also run the rear track unlocked when in trails.

I will be going for Stadium, Elka's Exit or equivalent shocks this summer, but this is me trying to get the most out of my suspension, try tuning your suspension properly first.

Also get rid of the ultra high windshield it is useless and gets in the way of your vision while riding I got a medium one ans sold the other one.

#6 Ptnick

Ptnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:09 PM

Thanks alainm, really helpful. Are yours the semiagressive snow trackers. On the ds2 skis?

#7 Ptnick

Ptnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:02 PM

Alainm, can u tell me more about the reat torsion springs? What told u that heavier ones are indicated?  Im a rookie and want to do the best possible set up on my 900sport. Im in the west so very heavily traveled, rutted trails are less of an issue. Are your front shock changes aimed at smoother rides over bumps?  I weigh 230 fully turned out, 20lbs more with ski equipment, etc.  

Edited by Ptnick, 20 March 2021 - 09:04 PM.

#8 mxz1998

mxz1998

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Sled:Expedition Sport 550, Tundra R

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:53 AM

There is an art to snowmobiling that has to be learned. These newer machines are ridden kind of like a dirt bike, where if it tips one way or the other, you counter steer to correct it. Anyone that tries to drive it quad style, like the snowmobiles of old, will find them very tippy. You won’t need heavier springs on the rear unless you are pounding moguls. For the average rider they are just fine.

#9 awful knawful

awful knawful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1392 posts
  • Sled:19 Expedition Sport 900

Posted 21 March 2021 - 07:20 AM

I weigh 230. My 2019 torsion spring are on #2.

#10 alainm

alainm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Retired sleds
    Ski-Doo 2002 MXZ 380Fan

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:20 AM

Thanks alainm, really helpful. Are yours the semiagressive snow trackers. On the ds2 skis?

Yes, but will be going for aggressive with studded track.

So semi-aggressive no studs and aggressive with studs.

#11 alainm

alainm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Retired sleds
    Ski-Doo 2002 MXZ 380Fan

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:24 AM

Alainm, can u tell me more about the reat torsion springs? What told u that heavier ones are indicated?  Im a rookie and want to do the best possible set up on my 900sport. Im in the west so very heavily traveled, rutted trails are less of an issue. Are your front shock changes aimed at smoother rides over bumps?  I weigh 230 fully turned out, 20lbs more with ski equipment, etc.  

First I only weigh 165lb  plus max 10lb of gear. I wont give wifes weight but less then me.

The weight transfer going out of corners was lifting inside ski, so needed to raise the rear bloc to 4 or 5 and the bottoming out on woops (several consecutive bumps)

So when I ride withe the wife since i am already at max setting the decision is easy.

#12 alainm

alainm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Retired sleds
    Ski-Doo 2002 MXZ 380Fan

Posted 21 March 2021 - 11:33 AM

There is an art to snowmobiling that has to be learned. These newer machines are ridden kind of like a dirt bike, where if it tips one way or the other, you counter steer to correct it. Anyone that tries to drive it quad style, like the snowmobiles of old, will find them very tippy. You won’t need heavier springs on the rear unless you are pounding moguls. For the average rider they are just fine.

When I am alone and want to have fun I will ride english rider style but hanging on the handle bars both hands on one side get hard after a while I am 55 after all, I do ride with my body weigh properly transferred but on trails I can not ride the way you are suggesting and that way is more for of trail powder riding not do able on packed trials.

I might not be understanding ridging style you suggested.

#13 Ptnick

Ptnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:32 PM

User Reports Needed !     Improving DS2 skis performance vs an Alternate Ski such as Gen 2 Simmons

I've been collecting user reports and have come down to two mods to my new ExpSport900:  SnowTrackers Moderately Aggressive vs

Simmons Gen 2 Skis.  

Price obviously favors the ST's.

What are the downsides of the ST's?  Do they hang up on ledges, edges, trailer ramps?

Gen2: are they overkill for a sled used 70% on trails vs. deep snow?  Downsides of Gen2's.

Has anybody used Gen3's on an ExSport900?

Which is more stable at higher speeds?

#14 69skiroule

69skiroule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Sled:2021 850 expedition, 2018 850 mxz

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:18 PM

I have not rode an expedition sport, so take these comments for what they are worth. I have rode expeditions and back countries with ds2/ds3 skies, They are excellent skies in powder and on sloppy loose trails. They are OK on hard trails,  very inferior to pilot skies on hard packed  but not what i would call dangerous. They are treacherous in crusty snow conditions, very hard to control. ! switched my 1200 xu expedition to Polaris pro floats. The pro floats fixed the crusty snow handling, but they pushed in the corners in loose snow. So far I am sticking with the DS3's on my extreme, I love how it  handles off trail and on loose trails. I have been told that when you set your suspension up perfectly snow trackers can be awesome on the  trail. I personally  think they are a death trap for most people. The only sled that has ever thrown me off was a Yamaha with Snow Trackers maybe I am biased but I will never have a set of snow trackers on any think I own. I found that they tracked fairly well on hard packed trails but if one ski had much more of less bite they the other such as stutter bumps in a corner they where terrible. Just my 2 cents 

#15 Ptnick

Ptnick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:57 PM

69skiroute, thanks for the input. There seems to be no clear winner for all cinditions. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users