Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Tall windshield/wide deflector proponents...help me figure out what I

6K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  Blueblood 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sigh...gone are the days you just buy a windshield and slap it on, eh? Why is this always so friggin complicated for me...

OK so I'm gonna spring order a 2022 Gade X 900 Turbo. Don't want air shock or heated seat, want better front shocks than Enduro, want better all around shocks than Adrenaline, but I see no need for going all the way to XRS/Mach and whatever other models there are.

So I'm getting an X.

But my X will get "tour-ified." I'm a high speed big mile UP rider and want a tall windshield and good protection. Not quite all the way to Grand Touring protection, but dang close. I'd like something kinda like the stock Enduro, but actually a bit taller and even wider if possible. Think somewhere between Enduro and Grand Touring is really the goal.

So here is my plan with a portion of my $1000 accessory promotion with spring order. Where are the holes in my plan?? Got all summer to figure it out lol...all figures in USD. Do any accessory catalog keyboard jockey gurus wanna spend a few minutes and see if I'm off my rocker here? Or what did you purchase to accomplish something similar?

1. Remove and shelf the X handguards, windshield, and side deflectors if it has any. They'll be brand new when I decide to sell the sled, and can go back on at that time.

2. Purchase 23" "high" fixed windshield $149.99 860201495 or MAYBE the adjustable 19"-23" med-high 860201493 for $269.99. Still deciding between these two.

3. I assume I need to get side deflectors to fit well with either of these windshields, and I THINK the side deflector kit I need is 860201256 for $49.99. Correct or incorrect? Is this the widest/only option for side windshield deflectors for a high windshield?

4. I assume I also need to get a new windshield support 517306183 for $27.99 to mount either of these windshields. Correct or incorrect?

5. I kinda sorta want to also add the GT Side panel deflector kit 860201879 for $30.99 just for the heck of it...I am assuming this will fit the wide body Gade X, regardless of any windshield. Correct or incorrect?

6. And to continue with the ridiculous look, I'm likely to slap the windshield mount mirror kit 860201285 for $94.99 cuz I just want mirrors that work halfway decent while I sit and wait for all the slow people to catch up at every intersection...

And then there will be the $400 LED bright lights and probably 2 or 3 linq things for the tunnel and skid plate and I'll clear $2k in accessories. But what the heck...can't die with it so might as well waste it on overpriced accessories for my overpriced snow machine.

Please don't tell me it's gonna look stupid. I already know. It's still what I want...just decent wind protection but not quite the giant frontal wall seen on the GT's. I've never given a flying turd what any of my machines look like...I'm goin' for function, even if it looks like a flyin' turd...

And if there are any other odd ducks out there like me who has pics of your setup that's kinda sorta like this, I'd love to see them, pretty please!! Post up some pics.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah I noticed there is a "medium windshield kit" that includes all that stuff. And that's the ONLY kit that Ski-Doo seems to offer in the accessory catalog! It would be awful nice if they offered a "high windshield kit". And an "Ultra high kit." But no...that would make sense. If I don't want a medium, they make me piecemeal it...which is why I'm annoyed. If my piecemeal lookups are a correct combo, I'm at about $230. I'm totally fine with the price, just don't want to screw up and have one of the 3 pieces not fit with the other...

What's E-linq? I haven't the foggiest...

EDIT...oooh...just watched a trailer video on E-linq. I'm totally getting that for my heated shield. Thanks for pointing it out!

#6 ·
I've always done the medium and never regretted it.

I'm 5 foot 10.

Many things they do not offer in different variations and it stinks.

E Ling combines the tether and heated shield cord into one attachment between you and the sled

#8 ·
Oooooohhh... Ya that's pretty slick man. I don't plug in often, but when I do that could be pretty nice. Probably gotta buy it with the sled and have the DESS key programmed to it though, right? Can't just buy it later without a dealer visit I'm guessing...

#10 ·
Oooooohhh... Ya that's pretty slick man. I don't plug in often, but when I do that could be pretty nice. Probably gotta buy it with the sled and have the DESS key programmed to it though, right? Can't just buy it later without a dealer visit I'm guessing...
Nope, I did it in about an hour.......no dealer needed.

I always use a heated shield.

It is really nice and works with any helmet.

I'll bet in a couple of years, after they rake in a boat load of cash, it will come from the factory with them.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Def. get the high or ultra high shield. I have the high and considering the ultra high for those super cold windy days.

I had the adjustable med-high shield and wasnt crazy about it. It worked just fine but rattled a lot. My fixed high shield now rattles more than it did, go figure. I may need to look at things again... The adjustable shields are great for people that are trailering with interior trailer height concerns.

Deflectors are the same for all 3 med-high-ultrahigh. Make sure mirrors are on that list. Try some beamtech lights before you drop coin on the accessory doo lights. I have no complaints and i probably ride at night more than most (but i have excellent night vision).

elinq is on my short list. Can add it at any time. Your existing dess key clips into it as far as i understand.

Dont forget your side panel wind deflectors!

I also added tunnel to rail reinforcements, really like them as well.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Def. get the high or ultra high shield. I have the high and considering the ultra high for those super cold windy days.

I had the adjustable med-high shield and wasnt crazy about it. It worked just fine but rattled a lot. My fixed high shield now rattles more than it did, go figure. I may need to look at things again... The adjustable shields are great for people that are trailering with interior trailer height concerns.

Deflectors are the same for all 3 med-high-ultrahigh. Make sure mirrors are on that list. Try some beamtech lights before you drop coin on the accessory doo lights. I have no complaints and i probably ride at night more than most (but i have excellent night vision).

elinq is on my short list. Can add it at any time. Your existing dess key clips into it as far as i understand.

Dont forget your side panel wind deflectors!

I also added tunnel to rail reinforcements, really like them as well.
Hemi I'd like to see a pic of your current high windshield setup, unless it's a PITA. Since the high windshield was my intended goal I'd love to see pic of someone who did it. If you have pic handy please post or guide me to it. But don't knock yourself out over it, I respect that posting pics on this site can suck at times for some...

And what exactly is the "tunnel to rail" reinforcement? Is this what you mean or something else?

https://shop.ski-doo.com/ca/en/860201584-tunnel-reinforcement.html

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thats the reinforcement. They have a ton of colors. There are different length and thickness rivets when you install, I learned the hard way...

The only down side I see to the elinq is a trail side "edit for bad language". I leave my sled running for a quick leak.
You can still leave it running by unclipping it from yourself & unplugging your helmet. Same for warm up on cold mornings.

#21 ·
I have the med-to-high adjustable with side deflectors and mirrors and I'm really happy with it. I found that at high speed the wind goes over my head. Doesn't rattle to much and doesn't fall down. This coming week is a great example of where I'll have it set high in the morning with cold temps, but the afternoons will be in the 30's and I'll set it low to keep me cooler.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Craze, l have a Renegade X and the same riding style as yourself and l think you're spot-on with your plan.

I removed the stock windshield/feflectors and hand guards and installed the medium windshield kit along with the windshield-mount mirrors (860201285) as well as the side panel deflector kit (860201879). Wind protection is MUCH improved over the stock configuration but...

I don't stay home because it's cold, l ride regardless of the temperature. IMO, when temperatures dip to -15°F and colder, the medium windshield isn't tall enough for the big, fast trails of the U.P.

l also use the Ski-Doo handle bar muffs (860201144) which is probably the best money l've spent on an accessory. A few weeks ago we left Land 'O Lakes, Wl at -22°F and all l wore all day on my hands were my Klim 3.0 Windstopper glove liners and my hand warmers on 3 clicks from off (at the most) for 220 miles. There's nothing worse than cold hands and this set-up totally eliminates it.

Next season, l'm going to buy the high windshield along with the other components you have listed for the cold days so l can quickly swap windshields according to weather conditions. I considered the adjustable windshield but l prefer the clean look of the traditional one myself.

The sled in the picture was posted by a dooTalker last year and is the "high" windshield and the wind deflectors are shown on my '21 900T.
7b9d35d7cdee6fb5615f5ef0f91d1e13.jpg
6df21f69a515918c33b283a6e96ac2e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I have the med to high adjustable with side deflectors and mirrors on my x. I left the stock hand guards on.
I think the windshield works perfect rarely do I raise it.It is two inches higher than the med when in the down position.What ever height I set it at it doesn't moves and doesn't rattle unless in bad cross wind.
I do diassemble it before storage to clean. I would post pics if I knew how.

#25 ·
I have the tall with side deflectors, mirrors and Doo hand muffs for those really cold days.

The medium that I can swap the deflectors and mirrors to and put on the hand guards in less than 10 minutes.

I also have just the windshield base and use the handguards for that XRS look on warmer days.

Got the stackable gas caddy, SR21 and 17 linq bag to.

Pretty much have it all covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.