08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • Interests:Photography, snowmobiling
  • Sled:2021 Expedition Xtreme

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:48 PM

Hey AKSasquatch - I'm running Cat 10.8 or 10-8 or whatever they're called, wide Bearcat skis.

They're a pain in the rear, but they work really well.

I made brackets of sorts out of 17mm angle iron to keep the ski rubber centered. I put cheap steel things in front of the rubbers to keep them from popping out the front. I stacked stuff (I forget what) to bias the tips down.

It was not enough. The tips like to go vertical, typically one side at a time, and stop the sled instantly.

SO, I put an eye bolt behind the pogo - maybe 8" aft - and made a cable limiter, which attaches to the steel tab on the pogo tube.

It is horrifically crude as it sits, but it works. I want to experiment with short, very stiff springs - think exhaust springs, but far stiffer - and some manner of adjusting preload.

Basically, I'd want the tips slightly down when the ski is off the ground, and a fair chunk of limiting going on.

Maybe someday - my ghetto hardware store cable limiters work for now.

The reason I put up with all this hassle is simple - they are worlds better than ds2 plus skins at anything sidehilly.

The keel is huge - 1.5"+ tall. They've got lots of float, provided they're not allowed to point straight up. They reverse fine - not sure if better or worse than ds2s, but they're at least comparable.

The huge keel makes the skandic turn better, and you can get it up on edge far easier; they don't wash out like a ds2 with skins, or a Simmons gen 2.

They're kinda crummy skis, no traction aids, super flexible torsionally, but I've yet to break one.

Iain

Probably what I would get, over the Simmons if I ever did make a change. My DS3 skis are a little narrow.

Previous sleds, oldest first;

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

2008 SWT Skandic 550f fan

2018 SWT Skandic 600 Etec

#62 AKSasquatch

AKSasquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition ???

Posted 21 March 2021 - 12:48 AM

Was curious, rented the 2019 LE had the DS2’s I think. They did not have as much upturn for reversing as the Bearcat skis which were way wider, looked like a better ski. I will be curious how the Pilot 7.4’s will do. I’m ordering a Expy SWT and friend is ordering a Skandic SWT will be interesting to really compare the two side by side next year.

#63 AKSasquatch

AKSasquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition ???

Posted 21 March 2021 - 01:11 AM

SO, I put an eye bolt behind the pogo - maybe 8" aft - and made a cable limiter, which attaches to the steel tab on the pogo tube.

It is horrifically crude as it sits, but it works. I want to experiment with short, very stiff springs - think exhaust springs, but far stiffer - and some manner of adjusting preload.

Basically, I'd want the tips slightly down when the ski is off the ground, and a fair chunk of limiting going on.

Maybe someday - my ghetto hardware store cable limiters work for now.

I flew a J3 for a couple years, the skis had a similar cable limiter set up, opposite problem, you never want the skis tips down.  Bet your idea with an extension spring and maybe a turn buckle to adjust pre load would work pretty well.  J3 had a safety cable that ran thorugh the sping so that if the spring ever blew out it would still be limited by the cable, might be something to think about while designing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users