Dunno!  I do dumb stuff.

#32 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Sled:2022 Exp Extreme 850 E-TEC

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:55 AM

Not to derail the conversation away from personal manicure treatments, but I'm happy to report that I signed the paperwork for a Ex-X in Arctic Desert color. So cool! It's going to be a looooong summer.  I'll get the heated passenger seat for the missus and the little. But I'd like advice and opinions on other accessories like the rapid adjust ski stance, the pilot ds ski liners, and a taller windshield. Anything else you think I should consider? Slainte

1984 SS25 (RIP)

2 - 2015 Grand Touring 600 ACE

2022 Expedition Extreme 850 E-TEC spring ordered

#33 broncoformudv

broncoformudv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Interests:sleds, boats, trucks, hunting, fishing
  • Sled:2006 Summit 800 X 154

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

If you test ride an LE make sure it is a 2022 not 2021 ,as the 2022 has better shocks ( how much better i do not know ) . The ride of my 2021 sucks ,it has the cheapest shock .

Thats funny, the shocks are not any better on the 2022.  Still garbage shocks regardless of them having a different part number.  No I have not test driven one but they are not rebuildable so nothing new and improved.

2018 Expedition SWT 900 ACE

2015 Expedition SE 900 ACE

2015 Summit 800 154

2006 Summit 800X 154

2006 Summit 800X 151

1997 Skandic 500

#34 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted 12 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

Not to derail the conversation away from personal manicure treatments, but I'm happy to report that I signed the paperwork for a Ex-X in Arctic Desert color. So cool! It's going to be a looooong summer.  I'll get the heated passenger seat for the missus and the little. But I'd like advice and opinions on other accessories like the rapid adjust ski stance, the pilot ds ski liners, and a taller windshield. Anything else you think I should consider? Slainte

Where do you live?

Personally, I could never go back to riding sleds with the short windshields like what come on the Extreme. But if I lived somewhere where helmets were required, and I wasn't using the sled for hunting and getting firewood, etc, I'd be wearing a full face helmet all the time, which makes it much easier to live with the short windshield.

#35 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:50 PM

Where do you live?

Personally, I could never go back to riding sleds with the short windshields like what come on the Extreme. But if I lived somewhere where helmets were required, and I wasn't using the sled for hunting and getting firewood, etc, I'd be wearing a full face helmet all the time, which makes it much easier to live with the short windshield.

Western Montana. Any time I'll be going at a speed that a windshield would make a difference or anytime I'm riding on a public road or trail me and my passengers will be wearing full face helmets. But I will be taking some long trips in the mountains on trail so upper body warmth is my concern with the short windshield. 

1984 SS25 (RIP)

#36 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • Interests:Photography, snowmobiling
  • Sled:2021 Expedition Xtreme

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:15 PM

It comes ds3 skis and I doubt if you can get any skins for it. Once you set your skis on 38.5" or 40.2" you will probably never change them. Red and black is OK but I wish they had that tan color when I got mine last October. I'm guessing you spring/snow checked it for next fall? 3 year warranty now? Don't forget to put your location in your avatar.

Edited by 08SWT, 12 March 2021 - 09:17 PM.

Previous sleds, oldest first;

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

2008 SWT Skandic 550f fan

2018 SWT Skandic 600 Etec

#37 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:19 PM

Where do you live?

Actually the short one seems to deflect the wind pretty well. I really don't notice a difference.

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

#38 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Sled:89 AlpineII

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:55 PM

I almost never run my xu tall windshield. It is TOO good, I overheat and goggles fog.

The clear plastic on my xm slummit is not a "windshield."

I've not ridden these xx, I bet it is closer to a windshield,

Not sneering upon windshields, just noting that the giant one I have WORKS.

#39 AKSasquatch

AKSasquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition ???

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:16 AM

Sounds like the Extreme will be a great machine for your needs.

I'm back from 5 days of riding a 2019 XU Expy 900 LE and now I'm leaning toward the Expy SWT.  This was a 2019 so some things have changed, especially the Gen4 upgrade.  Along with the trip we had two mountain sleds and a older Bearcat 570.  

The LE did great and I think would be a pretty good all around machine.  4 Stroke was quiet and power felt good, could keep it moving well in unbroken 2-3 ft of snow.  It could play a bit and did great towing on a narrow trail.  Did great breaking about a foot of fresh snow on an trail even up some good hills and turns with no issue at all.

A few things that caused me trouble:

Climbing a hill while towing a sled with a passenger, front ski pressure just got too light and wouldn't steer near the top where a turn was needed.  I think this probably could be corrected with some shock adjustments or having the passenger get off for those sections. Otherwise steering felt great on the trail and much easier than the older Bearcat.

Breaking a trail in 3 foot deep untracked snow was difficult to do slowly, it would go a bit then a ski would dive to one side or the other.  I think ski skins would probably help, this machine had pretty narrow skis.

Reversing was certainly much better than the Bearcat, but the skis had very little rise at the tail and seemed to want to catch.  The most difficult was trying to turn around in a narrow trail.  I envisioned, just reversing and forward several times, but it would still often dig in, I think when the skis caught going backwards, once I learned to step on the front of the skis before reversing it seemed to do better. The new skis look better in that regard.

So now I am leaning toward the Expy SWT for better float breaking trail in deep snow, better float for reversing in deep snow and still retaining the A-arm suspension for comfort on longer trail runs.  I would really like the option to crawl around off trail in deep snow. It seems the two main drawbacks to the SWT are less sidehill ability, pushier through turns on trails, and some find the width uncomfortable.  Overall goal is exploring offtrail, though I will certainly have some long trail runs to get to new areas, but I don't need to run them at high speed.

Any other drawbacks to consider regarding the SWT?

#40 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 12:39 PM

Sounds like the Extreme will be a great machine for your needs.

I'm back from 5 days of riding a 2019 XU Expy 900 LE and now I'm leaning toward the Expy SWT.  This was a 2019 so some things have changed, especially the Gen4 upgrade.  Along with the trip we had two mountain sleds and a older Bearcat 570.  

The LE did great and I think would be a pretty good all around machine.  4 Stroke was quiet and power felt good, could keep it moving well in unbroken 2-3 ft of snow.  It could play a bit and did great towing on a narrow trail.  Did great breaking about a foot of fresh snow on an trail even up some good hills and turns with no issue at all.

A few things that caused me trouble:

Climbing a hill while towing a sled with a passenger, front ski pressure just got too light and wouldn't steer near the top where a turn was needed.  I think this probably could be corrected with some shock adjustments or having the passenger get off for those sections. Otherwise steering felt great on the trail and much easier than the older Bearcat.

Breaking a trail in 3 foot deep untracked snow was difficult to do slowly, it would go a bit then a ski would dive to one side or the other.  I think ski skins would probably help, this machine had pretty narrow skis.

Reversing was certainly much better than the Bearcat, but the skis had very little rise at the tail and seemed to want to catch.  The most difficult was trying to turn around in a narrow trail.  I envisioned, just reversing and forward several times, but it would still often dig in, I think when the skis caught going backwards, once I learned to step on the front of the skis before reversing it seemed to do better. The new skis look better in that regard.

So now I am leaning toward the Expy SWT for better float breaking trail in deep snow, better float for reversing in deep snow and still retaining the A-arm suspension for comfort on longer trail runs.  I would really like the option to crawl around off trail in deep snow. It seems the two main drawbacks to the SWT are less sidehill ability, pushier through turns on trails, and some find the width uncomfortable.  Overall goal is exploring offtrail, though I will certainly have some long trail runs to get to new areas, but I don't need to run them at high speed.

Any other drawbacks to consider regarding the SWT?

Sitting on the SWT never bothered me, you get used to it fast. I had 7.5" of double carbide Studboy shaper bars on my DS2 skis with the track full of paddle screws and it never pushed in any corners. Side hilling is something you have to practice at with the SWT. Getting stuck was never a problem because the big track always pulled it out after some digging.

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

#41 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 12:07 AM

It comes ds3 skis and I doubt if you can get any skins for it. Once you set your skis on 38.5" or 40.2" you will probably never change them. Red and black is OK but I wish they had that tan color when I got mine last October. I'm guessing you spring/snow checked it for next fall? 3 year warranty now? Don't forget to put your location in your avatar.

1984 SS25 (RIP)

#42 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 12:16 AM

Yes , spring check with 3 year warranty. Glad to have the advice and insight of others to help with making this decision. I can't afford to screw it up and don't have the generational knowledge that many here do. But I might need to upgrade my beer cooler now!

1984 SS25 (RIP)

#43 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6989 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:09 AM

I see alot of people buying swt's where they don't need it, they are more uncomfortable to drive than a WT regardless of what chassis it's on

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#44 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 10:56 AM

I see alot of people buying swt's where they don't need it, they are more uncomfortable to drive than a WT regardless of what chassis it's on

That's what I did but it was all about not getting stuck. Now with the 20" extreme, 1.8" track, and 100 lbs lighter I don't see any difference with getting stuck.

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

#45 AKSasquatch

AKSasquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition ???

Posted 14 March 2021 - 01:13 PM

It's a good point to consider. There is a lot of untracked snow to explore up here, and I felt the LE struggled going slow in completely untracked snow, if you kept your speed up it did great, ski skins and the 1.5" track instead of the 1.25" on the 2019 may be enough but I'm not sure.  Ideally, I would like to be able to crawl through untracked snow towing a camp sled for overnight trips and it seems like the SWT would fit that mission pretty well.

I also learned this trip that riding as a passenger or with a passenger sucks so will be looking for something for the wife as well.  So having an SWT with a second sled seems like a great combo, but perhaps a 20" track first then deciding what to get for a second sled is the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users