62 replies to this topic

#16 AKSasquatch

AKSasquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition ???

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:31 AM

Yeah, the kold cutters and tunnel protector will be the way I go if I get the LE.  Renting an LE for a few days in March for a trip with some friends and will decide after that.  The $400 upcharge on the build sheet for studs and tunnel protector is steep, but also depends what the dealer does.

#17 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • Interests:Photography, snowmobiling
  • Sled:2021 Expedition Xtreme

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:11 AM

Yeah, the kold cutters and tunnel protector will be the way I go if I get the LE.  Renting an LE for a few days in March for a trip with some friends and will decide after that.  The $400 upcharge on the build sheet for studs and tunnel protector is steep, but also depends what the dealer does.

Easy to do yourself........

Previous sleds, oldest first;

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

2008 SWT Skandic 550f fan

2018 SWT Skandic 600 Etec

#18 stmike

stmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4759 posts
  • Interests:all the big boys toys
  • Sled:2021 expedition 900

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:55 AM

If you test ride an LE make sure it is a 2022 not 2021 ,as the 2022 has better shocks ( how much better i do not know ) . The ride of my 2021 sucks ,it has the cheapest shock .

#19 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Sled:89 AlpineII

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

Why would the additional power be a bad thing?

I have never, ever wished I had less power.   I'm sure the 850 has a throttle lever, not a binary on/off switch - if it has a lever which lets an operator modulate the throttle......

As far as tracks - my 13 SWT came with a 1.25" studdable whatevertrack - fine for intended purpose, I suppose, and the snowmobile was impressive with it - but it really shone once I replaced it with the 1.75" Camoplast 24" track.  It made a pretty substantial difference everywhere.  It is easier to trench it onto the running  boards now - the stock track moved so little snow by comparison that you could sit there and contemplate whether the track was in fact spinning, possibly bend down and look, or compare ground speed to speedometer, you could be REALLY sure that the track was in fact spinning, and the snowmobile was not, in fact, moving in the appropriate direction, before letting go of the terrifying throttle switch and backing up a bit without burying the thing. 

The taller track - once it starts spinning, it does not take long to make a set of jackstands, like a mountain sled.  

Beyond that, the taller track, for what I do - I use sleds for skiing - is a huge step forward, zero downsides.   

The short track is also seizure-inducing once you discover how bad it is at braking on steep hills.  holy crap.  The taller track helps that, a lot.

#20 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:11 PM

Ha! I have no idea what I'd do with a Renegade. That's why I asked  :D . A lot of people on here seem to love their Gades. Ok, so that's off the list. 

So the Etechs seem to be the general consensus for engine mostly for lighter weight. Correct? It will take me a long time to rack up 10k miles. I'm easy on my equipment and take good care of my engines and other equipment. So I'm hopeful that any engine I get will last a long time.

The Extreme has the additional power of the 850 with roughly the same dry weigth as the SWT and SE 600R after adding the passenger seat and backrest. Why would the additional power be a bad thing?

The track width and lug size seems to be the next thing to puzzle out. Seems opinions differ on the stuck factor of the 24x1.5 on the SWT and the 20x1.8 on the SE and Xtreme. Will the Xtreme's track with the additional engine power be better than the SWT's 24x1.5? 

Yes, I definitely agree. I'm in Montana so similar conditions. I'm assuming I should get wider skis no matter which sled I select? Should these be the skis offered in the options or some aftermarket skis?

The thing that grabs me about the SE is that sweet cargo box for me to stash my lagers! I'll look much awesomer with that than my old cooler bungy corded to the back! Because if you look good you ride good, right!? Thanks for all the replies folks!

Two very different sleds, that excel at different things, and are ridden in different manners. 

The Extreme can go a lot of places because it has the power to maintain track speed, and the lugs to throw lots of snow. It's more akin to a mountain sled.

The SWT can go places because it has the flotation and does need to spin. In fact, the strategy in most situations is to avoid spinning. 

With a large footprint, the Extreme can crawl around too, just not nearly as well as an SWT. The SWT is capable of powering it's way through deep snow, but not nearly so well as the Extreme can. 

In the mountains, I think an Extreme would be a much better choice. 

The 600R LE would also be a good choice.

#21 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:20 AM

I *almost* bought an expedition-ex this past fall.  I'm glad I did not for a number of reasons, but  I really want to ride one - I know my summit with the articulated skid does not hold a candle to the swt in terms of deep snow reversing; from comments here, the 20" ex-ex is also inferior to the SWT in that regard, but I wonder how much different it is.  

For me, the ability to smash around in bottomless snow is enormous, and I'm not talented enough to really take advantage of the narrower track on the Summit - my current nemesis is a moderately steep hill with sparse-ish trees, crappy, unconsolidated snow and lots of land mines. 

Even without the land mines, I'm not sure a summit could go straight up it.  Probably?  maybe?  dunno - but since there are things lurking beneath  the surface, some 4", some 44" beneath - the wind swept it smooth, no bumps to warn you - it is a sidehill-switchback affair at lower speeds, once I get to the top, I'll make a pass down, hopefully find a path without too many rocks/trees in the way  - once that sets up, easy.  

I'd THINK that the summit would be a better choice there, but for whatever reason, I get more out of the swt.  20" ex-ex?  dunno.  I'd like to think that the 20" compromise would balance things out.  

Funny, in the past five or six years, the utility lineup went from two choices for me - wt or swt with 600 etec - I still like the twostroke thing - now, uh, there's far more options, it seems.  

It is a good problem to have.

#22 SoloSldr

SoloSldr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Sled:None at the moment

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

mannix, I think your 'use' of a sled is more a work related sort of thing. Your using all of your 24" and the 2-stroke snap also when needed because of your elevation. Your 'road' building is more precise than just trying to conquer/climb hillsides. Your an 850 24" candidate..... :D

#23 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Sled:2022 Exp Extreme 850 E-TEC

Posted 04 March 2021 - 04:08 PM

I'm sure the 850 has a throttle lever, not a binary on/off switch - if it has a lever which lets an operator modulate the throttle......

I checked the specs, and indeed, it has a throttle lever. God bless the throttle lever inventor!!  :Cheers

The taller track - once it starts spinning, it does not take long to make a set of jackstands, like a mountain sled.  

Beyond that, the taller track, for what I do - I use sleds for skiing - is a huge step forward, zero downsides.   

Which would suggest the 1.8 lugs of the Ex-Ex would best fit my needs.

Two very different sleds, that excel at different things, and are ridden in different manners. 

The Extreme can go a lot of places because it has the power to maintain track speed, and the lugs to throw lots of snow. It's more akin to a mountain sled.

The SWT can go places because it has the flotation and does need to spin. In fact, the strategy in most situations is to avoid spinning. 

With a large footprint, the Extreme can crawl around too, just not nearly as well as an SWT. The SWT is capable of powering it's way through deep snow, but not nearly so well as the Extreme can. 

In the mountains, I think an Extreme would be a much better choice. 

I'm looking more for a toy than a tool. Any utility type jobs I'll need it to do (hauling wood in sled or trailer), I think the Ex-Ex can handle and the SWT might be overkill. But, the "powering through deep snow" capability of the Ex again seems to fit my deep snow needs.

I *almost* bought an expedition-ex this past fall.  I'm glad I did not for a number of reasons, but  I really want to ride one - I know my summit with the articulated skid does not hold a candle to the swt in terms of deep snow reversing; from comments here, the 20" ex-ex is also inferior to the SWT in that regard, but I wonder how much different it is.  

For me, the ability to smash around in bottomless snow is enormous, and I'm not talented enough to really take advantage of the narrower track on the Summit - my current nemesis is a moderately steep hill with sparse-ish trees, crappy, unconsolidated snow and lots of land mines. 

Even without the land mines, I'm not sure a summit could go straight up it.  Probably?  maybe?  dunno - but since there are things lurking beneath  the surface, some 4", some 44" beneath - the wind swept it smooth, no bumps to warn you - it is a sidehill-switchback affair at lower speeds, once I get to the top, I'll make a pass down, hopefully find a path without too many rocks/trees in the way  - once that sets up, easy.  

I'd THINK that the summit would be a better choice there, but for whatever reason, I get more out of the swt.  20" ex-ex?  dunno.  I'd like to think that the 20" compromise would balance things out.  

This is good info too. Thanks. The bottomless snow that I'll encounter is most likely on road cuts that don't have the lurking land mines. And I'd most likely be wanting to go uphill at speeds rather than a switch back low-speed pace. So I guess I'm thinking that yes, the 20" and 1.8 lug and 850 and 165hp would make it usefull for me. And the two-up accessories of the Ex would fit my other, family needs. Ya?

So right now I'm leaning to the Ex.

1984 SS25 (RIP)

2 - 2015 Grand Touring 600 ACE

2022 Expedition Extreme 850 E-TEC spring ordered

#24 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:55 PM

I'd bet that the Ex is the right choice, too - it probably is for me as well, but I've come to the realization that when the SWT can't break trail up a steeper-something, either due to talent or snow conditions/things lurking beneath, my Summit will only get me "that" much further. 

G4Ex?  it might get me a good chunk further, but honestly, when I run into that situation, if I just suck it up and pack a trail or break out the winch, it is over and done with - and once I've made one pass, I can make all the passes.  

If I did not have a swt, and I were looking for "the" sled, it'd probably be the X.  I might give up something in terms of smashing around willowy, hollow creekbeds, but I'd gain a fair bit in terms of ascending stuff - and I've got a LOT of headroom in the trenches, so to speak - the SWT is so good at moderate pitch, any-depth snow, even if I had to be more careful THERE, if I gained even 30% in terms of climbing abilities, I'd come out ahead. 

hrmph.  now I want one again.  thanks.

Iain

#25 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 11:57 PM

mannix, I think your 'use' of a sled is more a work related sort of thing. Your using all of your 24" and the 2-stroke snap also when needed because of your elevation. Your 'road' building is more precise than just trying to conquer/climb hillsides. Your an 850 24" candidate..... :D

I AGREE!  hah! 

I want a light, pogo'd XU type thing, 24" tall-lug track with a transmission - 1-n-R - and the 850, heck, 850 turbo, why not?.  

BRP?  get on that, please.

I do love me my etecs, for the "snap," you're absolutely correct.  Sadly, my SWT's engine died an untimely death - three out of four reed cage screws - the tiny ones - fell out.  I found them looking for a running issue - I found two out of three, two of them landed on a 1/4" drive ratchet that was stuck between engine and tunnel.  

I blew air everywhere, ran magnets around, eh?  I hope it is not IN the motor.  I hoped wrong - it ran great for 100 miles or so, then got all kinds of grumpy at the end of last weekend.  

I found a disgusting fuel filter sock, that's it!  nope.  

One bolt on the mag side y-pipe fell out (THAT'S where that bolt I magnet-fished from under the motor came from!), the other three were loose.  That's it!  nope.

huh.  ugh.  compression test, checked it twice, sure enough, mag side 60psi.  ugh. 

New/spare motor is going in tomorrow, joy.  The good news is that the "new" motor - another 600etec from a crashed wt - seemingly was purchased, trailered to a parking lot and driven into a tree.  I figured I'd repack the PTO bearing while it is out - huh, the grease is white, not even crusty.  Yay.

Iain

Edited by mannix, 11 March 2021 - 12:03 AM.

#26 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:10 AM

attached pics.  I guess this does not really help one choose a sled, but if you need to take your reeds out, be wary.  My mechanic friend (25+ years with BRP stuff) has never seen it happen - I've had bunches of twostrokes, too - normally, I'm grinding the heads off those stupid screws, not wondering where they went.  

Anyway.  Happy surprise, looks like my "new" motor really is close to NEW.

Attached Images

• newdoughnut.jpg
  • newcrank.jpg
  • newcrankold.jpg

#27 stmike

stmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4759 posts
  • Interests:all the big boys toys
  • Sled:2021 expedition 900

Posted 11 March 2021 - 07:06 AM

If you test ride an LE make sure it is a 2022 not 2021 ,as the 2022 has better shocks ( how much better i do not know ) . The ride of my 2021 sucks ,it has the cheapest shock .

I am wrong ,the shocks are the cheap ones on both .OPPS

#28 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 12:13 AM

attached pics.  I guess this does not really help one choose a sled, but if you need to take your reeds out, be wary.  My mechanic friend (25+ years with BRP stuff) has never seen it happen - I've had bunches of twostrokes, too - normally, I'm grinding the heads off those stupid screws, not wondering where they went.  

Anyway.  Happy surprise, looks like my "new" motor really is close to NEW.

How do you get your thumbnail so short?

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

#29 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:30 AM

Hmmm I'm not sure, SWT - I edit the image and resize the canvas - make the image physically smaller, 640 pixels wide, then "attach an image," rather than putting the image in the middle of the message.

I think the forum software does the thumbnail automatically.

#30 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:42 AM

Hmmm I'm not sure, SWT - I edit the image and resize the canvas - make the image physically smaller, 640 pixels wide, then "attach an image," rather than putting the image in the middle of the message.

I think the forum software does the thumbnail automatically.

The nail on your thumb.

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users