62 replies to this topic

#1 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Sled:2022 Exp Extreme 850 E-TEC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi all, first-time poster but hopefully not last time as I hope to purchase my Skidoo forever sled and keep up with the forums. I've read a bunch on these forums and got some great information but don't feel like I have quite enough to make a commitment on a 2022 sled yet. So I'm coming to you all for some more advice, ideas, and opinions. I have a wide range of riding conditions and styles that I'd like to do and not even sure there is one sled model that will fit all of my needs but that's why I'm asking. 

Here's what I need:

Ride two up in comfort with passenger backrest and handwarmers/deflectors on trail

Haul a sled with ice fishing/camping gear on trail and slushy lake snow

Access remote areas for back country skiing, this means breaking trail in deep snow on road cuts and hauling a sled on the second pass.

I'm in the US mountain west. I won't be playing in deep powder (unless the sled is truly capable of that). I will only be straight lining it through deep snow but will be going up hill.

My initial thoughts are an Exp SWT would cover most if not all of these but I'm nervous of the 4 stroke (with turbo?) weight in the deep stuff. Other Exp models I should consider? Is the Renegade and option? Does it have a passenger seat option? Should I forget it and buy two used sleds?

Thanks all!

1984 SS25 (RIP)

2 - 2015 Grand Touring 600 ACE

2022 Expedition Extreme 850 E-TEC spring ordered

#2 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6989 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Renegade....what are you gonna do with that?

Of course a swt....your choice of engine but personally i would chose a na 900 fuel efficiency and the bit lighter front end....

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#3 CathBeau

CathBeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Working outside, family and friends, theatre and music.
  • Sled:Skandic SW 2021 900 ACE

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:11 PM

I think an Exp 900 swt is a good choice. Widen your skis with skins. If you are most of the time in deep snow, you'll get good flotation.

Of course good equipment is no substitute for a good sled operator.

Catherine

Daytime winter job: Setting cross-country skiing trails in a regional park using Skandics pulling Ginzugroomer tracksetters.

#4 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • Interests:Photography, snowmobiling
  • Sled:2021 Expedition Xtreme

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:02 PM

SWT if you hate getting stuck.

Edited by 08SWT, 25 February 2021 - 10:02 PM.

Previous sleds, oldest first;

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

2008 SWT Skandic 550f fan

2018 SWT Skandic 600 Etec

#5 BackcountryBruce

BackcountryBruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Back Country Snowmobiling, GPS Navigation, Sea Kayaking
  • Sled:2019 Summit X 850

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:27 AM

Expedition SE or SWT with a 600R ETEC, much lighter front end and 30 more horsepower over the 900ACE. If going with the SE the 1.8 inch track option for what you describe would fit the bill for you. I'm a former Summit rider, having had two 850's over the last 4 seasons, but have to say that I am enjoying the SE with 600R and 1.8 inch track.

#6 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6989 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:07 AM

Expedition SE or SWT with a 600R ETEC, much lighter front end and 30 more horsepower over the 900ACE. If going with the SE the 1.8 inch track option for what you describe would fit the bill for you. I'm a former Summit rider, having had two 850's over the last 4 seasons, but have to say that I am enjoying the SE with 600R and 1.8 inch track.

This is the killer for me with the 900's, the main reason why i prefer the 600ace for creeping around in the woods

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#7 Cains Guest

Cains Guest

Cains Guest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Sled:850 XRS , 850 XX

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:49 AM

The Xtreme is the only mountain oriented wide track BUT reading your description I would take a big look at the 600 R that comes with a passenger seat and 1.8" lug as Backcountry Bruce has specified. It is important to have a nimble front end on in the hills. If it was flat land use the 900 is a great engine and surely would provide less maintenance as it's your ( forever sled ). Expected mileage would be a factor here. The Renegade is a groomed trail sled and the furthest thing from what you need IMHO. The 24" SWT would be a handful in any side hill / off camber mountain use BUT there are people that can make them talk in this setting. I'm not sure they chug Lagers tho LOL so I'm out on that one. 

#8 Pmaine

Pmaine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Sled:500ss

Posted 26 February 2021 - 06:59 AM

The 900 ace isn’t that heavy, the G4 chassis hides the weight well. No issues creeping through the woods for me. I think it’s the perfect motor for this sled, very balanced in the chassis. Now in a short track I imagine it’s a different story I am guessing you’ll feel that weight a bit more.

#9 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

The Xtreme would work too if you don't mind all that power. The stuck factor seems to be close to the wider tracked SWT since the lugs are longer on the extreme. (I had both).

Edited by 08SWT, 26 February 2021 - 10:31 AM.

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

#10 mannix

mannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Sled:89 AlpineII

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:00 AM

I have an xu swt with 600etec and 1.8" track; it is excellent for what you describe. The only issue with it in the context provided would be "breaking trail on road cuts." I'm in Colorado, so possibly similar location, and road cuts here are great IF they're not blown in and firm.

The swt is great if you can sink the uphill ski. If not, it is scary.

Expedition xtreme might be a better compromise in that regard, but I'd certainly not get less than a 20" track.

The 600etec seems to be good for 10k miles, generally speaking - considerably less than a 4 stroke, but for me, 10k miles will take a long time; I've had mine since new, 3400 miles on it. The durability thing is certainly a concern, but it does not seem like we put on the miles down here like those up north.

#11 Klondiker

Klondiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Sled:Tundra LT ACE

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:08 AM

For sled skiing, Id definitely go with the ETEC option.  Crepig around the bush and hauling loads, the 4 strokes cant be beat, but when you need to pin it up a hill, 2 strokes really shine.  I sled ski with my Tundra ACE but only for access.and just a singe rider.  My friend XTreme with the 600 ETEC walks circles around the ACE in that application.

There are two types of people in the world: those who bought a Tundra/Skandic/Expedition, and those who wished they had...

#12 Lagerchugger

Lagerchugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Sled:2022 Exp Extreme 850 E-TEC

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:42 PM

Renegade....what are you gonna do with that?

Of course a swt....your choice of engine but personally i would chose a na 900 fuel efficiency and the bit lighter front end....

Ha! I have no idea what I'd do with a Renegade. That's why I asked  :D . A lot of people on here seem to love their Gades. Ok, so that's off the list. 

The Xtreme would work too if you don't mind all that power. The stuck factor seems to be close to the wider tracked SWT since the lugs are longer on the extreme. (I had both).

So the Etechs seem to be the general consensus for engine mostly for lighter weight. Correct? It will take me a long time to rack up 10k miles. I'm easy on my equipment and take good care of my engines and other equipment. So I'm hopeful that any engine I get will last a long time.

The Extreme has the additional power of the 850 with roughly the same dry weigth as the SWT and SE 600R after adding the passenger seat and backrest. Why would the additional power be a bad thing?

The track width and lug size seems to be the next thing to puzzle out. Seems opinions differ on the stuck factor of the 24x1.5 on the SWT and the 20x1.8 on the SE and Xtreme. Will the Xtreme's track with the additional engine power be better than the SWT's 24x1.5? 

I have an xu swt with 600etec and 1.8" track; it is excellent for what you describe. The only issue with it in the context provided would be "breaking trail on road cuts." I'm in Colorado, so possibly similar location, and road cuts here are great IF they're not blown in and firm.

The swt is great if you can sink the uphill ski. If not, it is scary.

Expedition xtreme might be a better compromise in that regard, but I'd certainly not get less than a 20" track.

The 600etec seems to be good for 10k miles, generally speaking - considerably less than a 4 stroke, but for me, 10k miles will take a long time; I've had mine since new, 3400 miles on it. The durability thing is certainly a concern, but it does not seem like we put on the miles down here like those up north.

Yes, I definitely agree. I'm in Montana so similar conditions. I'm assuming I should get wider skis no matter which sled I select? Should these be the skis offered in the options or some aftermarket skis?

The thing that grabs me about the SE is that sweet cargo box for me to stash my lagers! I'll look much awesomer with that than my old cooler bungy corded to the back! Because if you look good you ride good, right!? Thanks for all the replies folks!

1984 SS25 (RIP)

2 - 2015 Grand Touring 600 ACE

2022 Expedition Extreme 850 E-TEC spring ordered

#13 newfiebullet

newfiebullet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • Interests:Sled, Bike, Fishing, Hunting, Cabin....My Kids
    All sports
  • Sled:2008 Renagade 146, 2.5 camo, S-36 pkg

Posted 26 February 2021 - 01:07 PM

Will the Xtreme's track with the additional engine power be better than the SWT's 24x1.5?

Open country the swt will not keep up with the much faster more powerful xtreme. In the woods/deep snow/towing the swt will do circles around the Xtreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake a whole relationship"

Link to Cain's Quest- Canada's longest snowmobile endurance race
http://cainsquest.com/

2008 renagade 800r stretched to 146
2.5 camo extreme
S-36 pkg
DJ clutching and DJ Ramps
22/49 Gearing
8" C&A'S MTX

#14 AKSasquatch

AKSasquatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Sled:2022 Expedition ???

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:40 AM

I'm in a similar situation, just registered after reading everything I could find on Expedition WT vs SWT.  Just getting back into snowmachining, had a mountain sled for 4 years before I had a back injury, then been another few years due to a couple warm winters.

Now I'm looking for an all around machine for winter camping, 300-400lb sled, more overnights than day trail riding, exploring, access for mellow backcountry skiing. Will be sticking with the na 900 ACE, don't need speed and high octane can be hard to find in some areas up here.

Been torn between an Expy SE/LE and SWT but plan for now is to spring order a SE/LE, then will know if I want to upgrade to an Expy or Skandic SWT or get a Expy Sport or used second sled for the wife down the road.  Leaning toward the SE for the studded track option, and not opposed to air susp and cargo box. Seems hard to go wrong with a Expy WT and they seem to hold their resale value really well.

#15 08SWT

08SWT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2616 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:48 AM

I'm in a similar situation, just registered after reading everything I could find on Expedition WT vs SWT.  Just getting back into snowmachining, had a mountain sled for 4 years before I had a back injury, then been another few years due to a couple warm winters.

Now I'm looking for an all around machine for winter camping, 300-400lb sled, more overnights than day trail riding, exploring, access for mellow backcountry skiing. Will be sticking with the na 900 ACE, don't need speed and high octane can be hard to find in some areas up here.

Been torn between an Expy SE/LE and SWT but plan for now is to spring order a SE/LE, then will know if I want to upgrade to an Expy or Skandic SWT or get a Expy Sport or used second sled for the wife down the road.  Leaning toward the SE for the studded track option, and not opposed to air susp and cargo box. Seems hard to go wrong with a Expy WT and they seem to hold their resale value really well.

You can easily stud one yourself. I don't like those wimpy automotive studs they use anyway.

Yamaha Exiter

Polaris Widetrack GT

Tundra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users