Track Vibration after New Installation - REV-XR / XS Chassis - 4-TEC 1200 Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Track Vibration after New Installation

track vibration 2016 1200

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brandino13

Brandino13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Motors.
  • Sled:2016 Renegade X 1200 - 2002 Renegade 800

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

Hey guys,

2016 Renegade X 1200 Rev-XS.

So I just swapped my stock 15x1.25 Ripsaw track (w/ studs) for a 16x1.75 Camso Challenger track I believe. It came off a stock 2016 Freeride, same chassis. 

I'm getting a vibration between 30-45mph and between 55-65mph. I feel it most in my left foot and it transfers to my right foot as well and up through the bars. It was really bad at first so I narrowed it down to track tension being too tight, although the tension & alignment were to spec. There was a lot of friction at the front of the skid where the track meets the rails and I was experiencing a lot of vibration and humming. I loosened the track to the point of little to no drag while up on the stand but there's a good 2" of relaxed sag in the center of the skid. It seems much too loose to me, but a quarter turn on both adjusters puts so much drag on the track its somewhat hard to turn by hand.

I've left the track on the loose side and it rolls great with no ratcheting. Vibration is much better but still noticeable compared to my old track. I understand this is a heavier unit with bigger lugs so I'm bound to hear and feel more, but this isn't normal. 

I took off my brake caliper cover and checked to see if there was an issue with my rotor. It seems to move a little at certain speeds, but tapping the brakes while on the gas doesn't change the vibration. Is it possible I bent the rotor when prying it off the driveshaft? It doesn't seem like it's bent but im sure it doesn't take much to feel a vibration.

*Chaincase tension is good (used the finger-tight method and backed off 1/4 turn)  

*Track is aligned, not sure about tension. 

*Bearings all the way around are good.

*Slides are flat and have plenty of meat.

*No strange sounds when turning by hand

*New belt doesn't change anything

I just ordered another brake rotor for the hell of it. I didn't have the brake rotor tool so I'm afraid I slightly bent it with the pry bar. Is it possible the track isn't broken in yet although it's been mounted before? I've put about 50 miles and it hasn't got better. Just looking to hopefully pinpoint my problem as it has to do with the recent track change.

Thank you all in advance for your help! I'm a rookie with the newer sleds.

#2 fz58317

fz58317

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Sled:2017 Enduro 1200

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:41 PM

I think its just the track, just swapped my 1.25' IR to a Storm 150 on my 17 Enduro 1200 and there's a vibration on hard packed trails that was never there before and I know I have no rotor or bearing issues, I forgot to add that I installed 96 Woody's gold diggers with double backers, but this thing is a like a windmill. 

Edited by fz58317, 24 February 2021 - 09:08 PM.

#3 honkydog

honkydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Sled:09 1200 Gade

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

Same experience. Put a 1.75 on my 09 this year. Had a lot of vibration. Loosened track quite a bit and it helped but didn't cure. 500 miles on it now no problems and I don't notice any vibration. Either I got used to it or it's gone.

#4 honkydog

honkydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Sled:09 1200 Gade

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:52 PM

Thinking about this more, it cld be the rotor but I think you would have had to really try hard to bend it. I'd say run it and keep an eye for abnormal wear on slides, rail tips etc. The 1.75 really is awesome on the 1200. Woke my sled right up and after 15k miles on the stock 1.25 rip it feels like a new machine. I'll be happy running it for a while, at least til my son is old enough and I can justify a new sled.

#5 Brandino13

Brandino13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Motors.
  • Sled:2016 Renegade X 1200 - 2002 Renegade 800

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:58 AM

Thinking about this more, it cld be the rotor but I think you would have had to really try hard to bend it. I'd say run it and keep an eye for abnormal wear on slides, rail tips etc. The 1.75 really is awesome on the 1200. Woke my sled right up and after 15k miles on the stock 1.25 rip it feels like a new machine. I'll be happy running it for a while, at least til my son is old enough and I can justify a new sled.

I bought another rotor and will get back on here if it fixed my problem. 

Ive had my 1200 for 4 years and I should have swapped to a 1.75 from day 1! No more fishtailing and sloppy traction. The 16" wide handles much better on trail corners as well. Keeps the sled level and lets the inside ski bite. Very happy. 

Thank you for the reply and your input!

#6 chiaj144

chiaj144

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1694 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade 900T

Posted 25 February 2021 - 04:35 PM

Easy way to tell if your rotor is bent is to lightly apply the brakes while cruising down the trail. If you feel the brake level pulse you know your rotor is bent or driveshaft bearing is going out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users