Something skipping - REV-XR / XS Chassis - 4-TEC 1200 Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Something skipping

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 musselmark

musselmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Sled:2010 vector

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 AM

2017 renegade 1200. Yesterday under hard acceleration something let go and made skipping grinding noise and I could smell gear oil, guys following me could smell it too. Let off throttle came to a stop then everything went back to normal, rode fine for another km and loaded on truck. There was a little oil seep coming from behind case near adjuster. I assumed chain was skipping. Took it home opened case everything looks perfect, no slop in chain, adjuster was still finger tight, still full of oil. I cant figure out what happened. Any ideas

Edited by musselmark, Yesterday, 07:20 AM.

#2 Michcallacamedis

Michcallacamedis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Sled:2014 Renegade X

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 AM

How is the upper chaincase bearing? Can you move the shaft up and down with the chain tension released?
If so your upper bearing is junk.
That happened to me.

#3 musselmark

musselmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Bearing is nice and tight and smooth. I've been reading about weak reverse gear spring causing it to try and slide over under hard acceleration and grinding

#4 twinmotors

twinmotors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, atving, fishing, hunting, shooting, golf, woodwork, wrenching a little!, my kids sports,......work, Not!
  • Sled:18 1200 Enduro/17 1200 Renegade

Posted Today, 03:49 AM

Following! Same thing happened to my 17 1200 Renegade yesterday... Haven't pulled it apart yet but my chain seemed to be jumping teeth like crazy.. Started loosing gear lube out the bottom and assume that something made it's way down to the bottom and tore up the bottom of the case. 

Live to ride...Ride to stay broke!

#5 musselmark

musselmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted Today, 05:37 AM

You were right, wierd though, the secondary rotated very smooth and no up and down play but after I removed the gears it was obvious the bearing was toast. The plastic cage the spheres sit in was broken so sometimes the spheres were evenly spread but then they would all move to one side and allow Jack shaft to move.

#6 fz58317

fz58317

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Sled:2017 Enduro 1200

Posted Today, 05:46 AM

How many miles on it?

#7 musselmark

musselmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted Today, 06:17 AM

7300 miles. Wierd in my reply above, I type "spheres" but it appears as "spheres"?

#8 musselmark

musselmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted Today, 06:19 AM

Lol Apparently the word b a l l s must be offensive or something

#9 fz58317

fz58317

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts
  • Sled:2017 Enduro 1200

Posted Today, 06:22 AM

Ya that's how this forum is with any words that may imply anything else, good luck figuring out what words?? anyways bearings are weird when they go bad, just did my upper and lower bearings this summer on my 17, 9300 miles and they seemed good but it was time to change them for pc of mind, the seals seemed harder to replace than the bearings. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users