96 Formula 500 Rattle - MXZ / Legend / Summit / Grand Touring / Formula - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

96 Formula 500 Rattle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrwarrior737

mrwarrior737

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:95 Formula 500 sls, pilot 5.7 ski swap, 97 mxz 670 suspension swapped. Air box delete with gutted stock can.
  • Sled:95 skidoo formula 500 SLS

Posted Yesterday, 06:56 AM

Hey Guys,

Rode my sled about 50 miles this weekend after some reworking of a few items. Mostly controls and air box stuff.

Its basically as far as I have ridden it since I have owned it.

It rode perfectly all day.

As I ride I have a slight tinking metal sound around the drive sprocket shaft area going into the break and gearbox.

Almost like a dry dirty break disk tinky tinky as the motor runs and idles and goes through the rpms at certain times.

Quites when breaking.

I believe it may be from a bearing on the shaft that runs into the break disk and gearbox.

The brake disk hub on the drive sprocket shaft has slight slop side to side which I think is fine.

Could it be bearing on this assembly, maybe break pads or something?

Is this a common sound occurrence for anyone else?

I am going to post a video later where you can here the sound.

Its tough to hear it from my gopro but if you pay close attention you can here it.

#2 slimmer455

slimmer455

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Sled:1996 skidoo formula sls 500

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 AM

Is your sled pull start only? If so could be the guide rope. It is supposed to be bolted to the floor. On mine,the tab that holds it down broke. That means your rope guide,and your pull rope are now rubbing on the jack shaft. On mine it burned a hole in the guide rope,hence burned the pull rope. The noise could be it banging on the jack shaft.

#3 LETMGROW

LETMGROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2281 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, NASCAR, camping with my family, managing my land for wildlife.
    Owner Auto and light truck repair shop and automotive machine shop.
  • Sled:'97 Mach 1 x 7, '96 f3 600, '97 Mach Z

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 AM

If the noise quiets down when braking it leads me to believe the disc brake rotor is loose on the jackshaft. There is a key in a key way on the shaft and a key way in the rotor hub. The key may be worn or a key way may be worn or a combination of all three. If you can rock the rotor back and forth on the jackshaft that is probably where your problem is.

You would not hear a noise caused by a loose rotor if the sled was sitting still, idling with the brake applied as the rotor would be held into place with the pressure from the brake caliper and pads. With the brake released and the pads retracted slightly the rotor could rattle.

I recently replaced the jackshaft and brake rotor in one of my Mach 1's because the key way was worn badly in the shaft as well as the key itself. I was afraid the key would shear off and I would have no brakes at all. This was on our Pro Improved 700. Solid brakes are a priority after a run with a limited shut down area.

Lynn

If you want to get something out of something, you must put something into it.

Buy cheap and you will buy twice.

My greatest fear: As I lay on my death bed my wife is typing away on her computer trying to sell my prized possessions on Craig's list for what I told her I paid for them.

#4 mrwarrior737

mrwarrior737

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:95 Formula 500 sls, pilot 5.7 ski swap, 97 mxz 670 suspension swapped. Air box delete with gutted stock can.
  • Sled:95 skidoo formula 500 SLS

Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

I will check that out tonight. I will also post a video link with the sound. 

I can move the rotor on the shaft back and forth slightly by hand.

Edited by mrwarrior737, Yesterday, 11:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users