X vs XRS - trail riding opinions please - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

X vs XRS - trail riding opinions please

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 cxn207

cxn207

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Sled:18.5 600r 129”

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:24 PM

This is NOT another “what’s the difference between X and XRS” thread or a “ just get the X, the XRS is watered down” thread. I am looking for real world experience from anyone who has ridden both the X and XRS package either MXZ or Rene - what did you like / dislike about both, what did you go from one to the other , what do you like better for trail riding? Thanks for any input .

#2 MNmaverick90

MNmaverick90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Sled:TBD 22' Doo

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:38 PM

Following

#3 Djetski225

Djetski225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1347 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZX 600HO

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:15 PM

I had a 129” 600x and rode a 129” 600xrs and a 129” and 137” 850xrs back to back after getting off my 600x

My thoughts on the XRS seemed that the shocks supplied a more plush landing when coming off of big bumps, especially at low to medium speed. The XRS is a bit taller, but I did not feel that it had any effect on high speed cornering. Overall, I think it is a nice upgrade for the small price difference if you are a aggressive rider and hit trails that are not perfectly smooth. The wider boards are noticeable as well.

The X is a great sled if you ride fairly smooth trails and run into a whooped out trail say 10% of the time. The time it seems as the X is lacking is when you get into those big bumps and want to keep your speed up without jarring your teeth out.

My next sled will likely be a 137 XRS 900T with a Lynx 3500RE in close behind.

Edited by Djetski225, 21 February 2021 - 10:18 PM.

#4 Revved Up

Revved Up

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Sled:2018 XRS

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:21 PM

I have both. The X is a 600 and the XRS is an 850. Both are 129’s with 1.5 Ice rippers. The XRS has the High Gear front spring lowering kit. I feel that either one could be my favorite depending on the day amd trail conditions. I will say I prefer the XRS because overall it handles the bumps better and I like the forward steering post. I also like the running boards better. The X is faster trail riding if the conditions are groomed or have smaller bumps. As soon as it gets rough the XRS not only handles better you start to enjoy the bumps. I never bottom the XRS out but I wil on the X 2-3 times per ride while riding aggressively. Both great options just be honest with yourself, if you don’t like rough trail riding the X will be easier to ride/corner with.. I think the XRS is the better sled but I don’t always choose to ride it. The 600 X will just make you smile and forget you are riding a 600 it just flat out easy and fun. Hope this helps.

#5 xdude

xdude

I might be dumb, but I’m not stupid!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • Sled:2021 RenXRS 850, 17x 850, 17 Blizz 600

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:29 PM

I own a ‘17 MXZ X and a ‘21 Renegade XRS. I’ve put 12,200 miles on the MXZ X and 1,700 miles on the Renegade XRS.  I have more seat time on the MXZ and also had the front shocks re-valved with more rebound damping than stock, here my thoughts:

Front end: I like the softer/lower X in most situations (once the rebound was corrected) getting the front of the XRS right is challenging because if you set t stiff enough to reduce off throttle body roll it is harsh in the chatter

Rear end: XRS seems to eliminate chatter slightly better but this may be a 129” vs 137” thing, not sure. I feel maybe the XRS bottoms slightly less but definitely kicks back worse, I feel the rear shock needs more rebound damping in it. 

Overall handling, it maybe because I’ve much more seat time on the MXZ X but every time I come off my XRS and jump on my X I realize the XRS is not there yet, maybe it never will be?

in short, if I had to pick on for twisty groomed trail riding it’s the X for now, hope this helps

#6 TTA89

TTA89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Sled:2020 850 MXZ XRS

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:38 PM

My buddy has a 2018 MXZ X and I have a 2020 MXZ XRS.  Both of us have had our shocks revalved by Monster.  The adjustability of the XRS is where it shines.  If you'll never touch the clickers then get an X and have the shocks revalved for your weight and riding style.  

Riding the X is great and if I didn't have an XRS I would be totally happy on it.  But, with the adjustment of the XRS shocks I make it nice and plush for smooth groomers or stiff for weekend trail garbage.  I also like the wider running boards on the XRS and without the rack steering on the X I wouldn't buy anything but the XRS these days.

The X is what it is with no adjustments, some will find it soft and others hard. The XRS with 4 adjustable shocks is whatever you want it to be from soft to firm.  ( I had my fronts shortened by Monster as well).

Edited by TTA89, 21 February 2021 - 10:39 PM.

-Mike

2020 MXZ XRS 850

2015 Renegade Adrenaline 900

#7 xdude

xdude

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:45 PM

My buddy has a 2018 MXZ X and I have a 2020 MXZ XRS.  Both of us have had our shocks revalved by Monster.  The adjustability of the XRS is where it shines.  If you'll never touch the clickers then get an X and have the shocks revalved for your weight and riding style.  

Riding the X is great and if I didn't have an XRS I would be totally happy on it.  But, with the adjustment of the XRS shocks I make it nice and plush for smooth groomers or stiff for weekend trail garbage.  I also like the wider running boards on the XRS and without the rack steering on the X I wouldn't buy anything but the XRS these days.

The X is what it is with no adjustments, some will find it soft and others hard. The XRS with 4 adjustable shocks is whatever you want it to be from soft to firm.  ( I had my fronts shortened by Monster as well).

I’ve never noticed the real world difference with the running boards as they are only wider farther back, also I cannot tell the difference between rack and non-rack steering, also there is a reason people have their front shocks shortened, so it handles like an X....

#8 xc8j

xc8j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Sled:2020 xrs 850. 2021 mxz x 600

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

I have a 20 xrs 850 and a 21 600x, not sure if it’s a x vs xrs or a ras vs rasx thing but the x handling is FAR superior. The 600 also punches way above its weight class power wise. Wifeys sled, she echoed my thoughts exactly when we switch off.
Bad spellers of the world...untie!

#9 TTA89

TTA89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Sled:2020 850 MXZ XRS

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

I’ve never noticed the real world difference with the running boards as they are only wider farther back, also I cannot tell the difference between rack and non-rack steering, also there is a reason people have their front shocks shortened, so it handles like an X....

Yes, and if it rides too stiff or too soft you have to pull the shocks all out and guess on the revalve and hope you nail it.  With the XRS shocks you just turn the dials depending on the conditions...  It allows a way nicer ride for sure, is it necessary? No, but for the small amount of time spent riding I want it as nice as I can get it. 

-Mike

2020 MXZ XRS 850

2015 Renegade Adrenaline 900

#10 xdude

xdude

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1265 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:57 PM

Yes, and if it rides too stiff or too soft you have to pull the shocks all out and guess on the revalve and hope you nail it.  With the XRS shocks you just turn the dials depending on the conditions...  It allows a way nicer ride for sure, is it necessary? No, but for the small amount of time spent riding I want it as nice as I can get it. 

Problem for me is not dialing the compression up or down, but the lack of rebound adjustment which was a problem on the X and still a problem on my XRS. 

• djm likes this

#11 nateagade

nateagade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:sleds, atvs, hunting, guns, trucks
  • Sled:2017 MXZX 850

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:55 AM

I’ve been on X sleds since 06. In 21 I decided to try an XRS. I can honestly say I have zero intentions on going back to an X.
The XRS for me is so much more compliant, it rides better, handles better I’ve yet to have any harsh hits in the front end.

#12 cnymxzrider23

cnymxzrider23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Snowmobiling, Hunting, Fishing, Basketball & Racing
  • Sled:2017 850 TNT

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:27 PM

I have a 2017 TNT 850 and upgraded the rear shock to the X package shock so other than paint it has the same shocks as an X package. I have ridden a few XRS sleds the last few years including a 2021 850 XRS (129"). On the smooth to moderately bumpy trails both sleds are good but the XRS really shines in the big bumps as it should since the shocks are huge upgrade over the X shocks and worth the price difference alone. Too bad Ski Doo doesn't have a true package in between the TNT and XRS like they did years ago. Go with the XRS.

#13 Tbone675

Tbone675

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2403 posts
  • Sled:2004 REV X 800 ; 2007 REV XRS 600sdi

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:20 PM

Me and my buddy ride every week together. He has a 2020 600x gade I have a 850xrs gade both have 1.5 ice rippers. If you are the type of rider that rides groomed trails only and if it gets bumpy you turn around to find smoother trails get the X. On smooth trails the X is superior in handling because of it's lower CG. The xrs has more ski lift. If you like hitting jumps and bumps get the xrs. If you never touch your shocks get the x. Most xrs guys never even touch the shock adjustments. I will say the the 600 isn't enough for the 1.5 on the gade if you ride open fast trails. It's a 80mph top end.

#14 postman24

postman24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Sled:2021 Ski-Doo MXZ X 850 Etec

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:11 AM

If you ride mostly groomed trails at prudent speeds, save yourself a $1000 and get the X.

#15 mile9c1

mile9c1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2944 posts
  • Sled:Sledless

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:25 AM

Waiting on a call back from my dealer... think I might opt for a TNT this year, it looks really good in gray.  If I ever need better shocks they are easy to upgrade to nicer-than-XRS shocks.  I've ridden two other G4's without rack steering and never thought twice about the steering.  XRS running boards aren't worth anything to me, I looked at both sleds side-by-side yesterday and couldn't see any practical difference between the different running boards.  Just my 2 cents.  Tough choice.  There are no wrong answers here.  If I had a TNT last time I might order an XRS just to try something different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users