Snowtracker vs Basic Round Bar Carbides - Short Review - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Snowtracker vs Basic Round Bar Carbides - Short Review

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dmanmtl

dmanmtl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Fishing and Snomo
  • Sled:2014 Renegade Adrenalin 900 ACE

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

So, this season my son bought himself his first Skidoo. Its a pretty basic model - MXZ Sport, 600CARB with a studded track. Its a pretty basic machine but goes like hell and is really fin to ride.

The machine had completely worn out carbides when we got it - this was not a surprise as the old owner told us they needed changing. There was very little control up front.

First we went to the local dealer and the guy sold us some Round Bar basic carbides - 6 inch, they were only $80 for the set. We promptly installed them....and wow - what a difference...

...But not really a good difference - the sled Darted around like a cat on crack - Lake runs at 80kmh were almost impossible. This was the same for both him and I - he weighs about 150lbs, I m in the 220 range.

Trails were a little better, but still it wanted to ride the grooves like crazy, cornering was very trick as the steering felt very heavy and required a lot of force.

We ride north on Montreal in the Laurentians on club trails, they are groomed almost daily and its been cold so the snow is pretty hard in places.

We did about 4 3+ hour rides with these carbides and by the end of it my son could barely move his shoulders from the workout.

So We ditched those and bought some Semi-aggressive snow trackers. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

The sled feels like it has power steering now, goes where you point it, slight productive slide in the corners and best of all NOT A BIT OF DARTING!

It feels like a different sled. I have snowtrackers on my renegade and have since I got it so I never really new how much better these were until i rode that MXZ without.

The Only complaint is that these things are expensive - over $250CAD for the set, which when you look at what they are seems a bit ridiculous...

Anyway, thought I would share my experience with members of the board in case anyone else is considering these. Have always received great advice here so time to give back a bit.

D

#2 x-treme

x-treme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8774 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling,motorcycling,golf
  • Sled:09 1200 GSX LE - 2016 1200 mxzx

•    

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:56 AM

Trackers are worth the xtra $$. No darting, easy steering self sharpening, they can take a beating and last a long time!!

#3 DTXRSB

DTXRSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3620 posts
  • Sled:2021 XRS 850 129

Posted 21 February 2021 - 09:22 PM

Who has pics?!?!

#4 Djetski225

Djetski225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1345 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZX 600HO

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:05 PM

Pics

Attached Images

• B61A6CDF-A763-4B62-A615-47409320AD02.jpeg
  • 115656FF-9137-4E61-9FBB-70C870F344D0.jpeg
  • C37186BD-96AA-4E5F-B78E-6EB12E0CF9F5.jpeg
  • 3651D108-DBCA-4942-8607-F790602D3547.jpeg

#5 DTXRSB

DTXRSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3620 posts
  • Sled:2021 XRS 850 129

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:33 PM

darn, those things are wicked!

Thanks for taking pics. A lot of people talk about them but don't really post pics.

#6 Djetski225

Djetski225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1345 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZX 600HO

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:37 PM

darn, those things are wicked!

Thanks for taking pics. A lot of people talk about them but don't really post pics.

They can be a pain when loading in the trailer, but man... on a day when the trails are rock solid, they rail and have 0 darting. Not to mention steering effort is very very low. They wear really well, easily get 6,000 miles plus with life still left.

Edited by Djetski225, 21 February 2021 - 11:38 PM.

#7 awful knawful

awful knawful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Sled:19 Expedition Sport 900

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:42 AM

Just put a set of semis on my expedition sport. Totally transformed sled. Amazing.

#8 bigmachdaddy

bigmachdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Sled:14 XRS 129" w/ quick adjust/ 99 Mach Z

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:17 AM

I put a set on my 6.9s and zero darting and effortless steering. Still trying to get the right amount of ski pressure. Right no I have very little front shock preload with little preload in center shock. I feel once you get the ski pressure set, they will be excellent.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#9 shootis

shootis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Sled:2018 900 Enduro 2017 900 TNT MXZ

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:39 AM

Here in the US, Snowtrackers will donate $20 to your local club with every purchase if you document 10 or more work hours.

Details here:

https://strikingdist...he-u-s-campaign

#10 GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Sled:2016 Enduro 1200

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:40 AM

The Snowtracker instructions stress that suspension set-up is huge to get them to work properly.

"reduce ski spring pressure by 75% and increase front skid shock spring to 75%, 0% toe-in on the skiis, etc ".

May be ordering a set today.

#11 bigmachdaddy

bigmachdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1258 posts
  • Sled:14 XRS 129" w/ quick adjust/ 99 Mach Z

Posted 22 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

The Snowtracker instructions stress that suspension set-up is huge to get them to work properly.

"reduce ski spring pressure by 75% and increase front skid shock spring to 75%, 0% toe-in on the skiis, etc ".

May be ordering a set today.

With little to no ski pressure, they don't turn. I followed the directions and it was like a snow plow. Back center preload off 1/4" and helped a lot. At this point I have hardly any ski shock preload. Still doesn't turn like I would prefer but I'm optimistic that with a little ski preload it will be great.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

#12 moparman7367

moparman7367

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1528 posts
  • Sled:Mxz X 1200

Posted 22 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

They can be a pain when loading in the trailer, but man... on a day when the trails are rock solid, they rail and have 0 darting. Not to mention steering effort is very very low. They wear really well, easily get 6,000 miles plus with life still left.

They will dart once the temps go up though keep this in mind OP

Opinions are like butt holes......Everyone has one.

#13 Diesel Pro

Diesel Pro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts
  • Interests:Diesel Performance, Torque, Harleys etc.
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 900 ACE

Posted 22 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Here in the US, Snowtrackers will donate $20 to your local club with every purchase if you document 10 or more work hours.

Details here:

https://strikingdist...he-u-s-campaign

Thanks for the heads up I put in an inquiry for the details as I have the hours covered easily.

#14 spud62w

spud62w

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2788 posts
  • Interests:Riding Sleds, Racing Boats. Trying to get you to join your local club and help them out. Or the club where you ride the most
  • Sled:900 X Renagade.Made one cause BRP won't

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:43 PM

They will dart once the temps go up though keep this in mind OP

I never had any darting issues with them in Warm or Cold.  Not sure why your saying this?

Member Red River Riders Snomobile ClubGPS Garmin 1300 $25 Craigslist specialVVMapping chipAlways ride with a TekVest/ Got my son one too Granddaughter Too 2017 900 X GadeNo more stink for meOutfitted in all KIM clothing. Glad I bought the good stuff.Join a club to help the sport Get a buddy to join too.

#15 awful knawful

awful knawful

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1247 posts
  • Sled:19 Expedition Sport 900

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

I never had any darting issues with them in Warm or Cold. Not sure why your saying this?

Nope
+5c to -20c no darting. Like zero.
They will push in the soft snow. But so will every other setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users