Potential new sled - first timer. Looking for advice. - Sledding - General Discussion - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Potential new sled - first timer. Looking for advice.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Se7enOfMine

Se7enOfMine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, sports, reading, hanging with my family
  • Sled:1996 BRP MXZ 583

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:45 AM

Hey gang,

As is my custom, this post will be lenghty :)

I'm looking to potentially get a new/1 year old sled, which I have never shopped for.

70% ride trails with my 5yo / 30% ride solo on trails and a bit of backcountry.

My entire youth was riding little 250cc Bravo's and an old 340 TNT. I currently have a 1996 mxz 583. Power and comfort wise, its more than enough. As such, not looking into higher end models. I don't need a ton of features, super fancy adjustable suspension or oodles of power.  My wee lad has been having a BLAST with this so looking for something more reliable that we can enjoy together for a few years, until I potentially get him his own little 250 when he is about 9 or 10.

I'm looking at the new models and the Backcountry/Renegade and MXZ are the most appealing to me. Either or would be the base model. I feel that for the type of riding I do and with whom, these are the best fits.

I have two questions:

1) The MSRP on the BRP site for the models above are:
$9,999 MXZ
$10,559 Backcountry
$10,299 Renegade

Given they are all around the same price, what can one expect to see on a dealer sticker price? As an extension to that question .. assuming I will finance with some money down and a trade in (the MXZ), what can one look for in terms of discounts/rebates?

2) I live in Hawkesbury, Ontario. The shop in town is pretty good (though, my interactions have been minimal). Can you folks recommend a good dealer they have dealt with/had good experiences with in, say, a 250km radius of Hawkesbury. As well, any places in that same radius of places to avoid?

I know, lots to unpack here but I appreciate any advice/thoughts/suggestions that any of you may have :)

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Chad

Edited by Se7enOfMine, 19 February 2021 - 11:47 AM.

#2 tinman454

tinman454

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Hunting dogs ducks
  • Sled:2015 600 rev sport,2015 800 irondog

Posted 19 February 2021 - 03:21 PM

I have no idea about pricing. But a good dealer in your area is loiselle sports in embrun  great place to deal with.

#3 steveb971

steveb971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Sled:2016 MXZ Blizzard 800

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:08 PM

I would definitely go with the Sport package regardless of which model you buy. It's affordable, simple,, but still has modern tech and ride quality. In regard to where and how you plan on riding, I would probably recommend a Renegade. A Backcountry could be a bit more difficult on the trails. Especially if you have a child on the sled with you limiting your ability to move around. The Renny will have better trail manners, but still is plenty capable in off-trail conditions.

Edited by steveb971, 19 February 2021 - 07:10 PM.

#4 tinman454

tinman454

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Hunting dogs ducks
  • Sled:2015 600 rev sport,2015 800 irondog

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:22 PM

As far as price for the sport models when I bought my 2015 renegade sport I shopped around and was told there is not much room too give any discount on sticker price. But they will give better discount on accessories  or free installation of extra stuff u might want on the sled. Just ask and see what they can offer to get your business. And that sled has over 5000km trouble free if I bought one again it would be a 600 Efi  renegade great sled.

#5 Se7enOfMine

Se7enOfMine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:36 PM

Heyo,

SteveB: Interesting that both you and Tinman offered the same suggestion :)  Duely noted. Ironically, yellow is "my" color. I have a yellow '79 Camaro and when I built my carbon framed bicycle, I had custom black and yellow paint. It's just sort of followed me around. Looks like kismet :P  As for the sport package, I agree. Im SURE an 850CC turbo is a metric crap ton of fun; and Im sure having every gadget is great. But, honestly, I just want to get out and ride. My only REALLY important feature is electric start, which seems to be standard on almost anything now. I have a bad shoulder/back and my MXZ is pushing me to my limit haha  The Renegade does seem to be a better fit then. The little guy sits in front of me right now and its less than pleasant for the driver. The top of his helmet is RIGHT at the bottom of mine so we bump into each other all the time. So to get around it, I gotta lean to the side. After an hour, my back is in agony. So I'll likely get a rear seat with the back rest for the little fella.

Tinman: Funny story. I was JUST chatting with the fellow I bought the 96 MXZ off of. I was asking him if he knew of a good dealer. He too said Loiselle in Embrun but mostly because his buddy works in the parts shop. So if two people say it, cant be that bad :)  The pricing thing is weird. Im reading all sorts of stuff where people say they always get 1k or more off MSRP. Though, I suspect thats as you go higher up the food chain. Easier to give 1K off 20K than 10K. As mentioned above, Id be getting a rear seat so if the discount comes there, its all the same.

Thanks doooodes.  Still hoping for some more replies. I love chatting about this stuff :)

#6 crk133

crk133

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Sled:Apex XTX and a few others

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:42 PM

How about an expedition sport?

#7 Se7enOfMine

Se7enOfMine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:13 PM

CRK: I hadnt even looked at it since its classed as utility. There's a dude with an axe cutting wood on the promo page. I'm not sure Ive ever even held an axe lol  So it was more of my own naivete, thinking it was a "workhorse" sled for hauling n stuff.  BUT, it does look nice, thats for sure.

Sooo after the comments above, I went and looked at reviews for the 2021 Renegade Sport. In the review, I noticed this: "Includes drive-by-wire intelligent Throttle Control (iTC) with three driving modes (Sport, Standard, ECO) and a throttle block that can be rotated on the handlebars. You can select a throttle mode to best match the skill and experience level of a new or youth rider.."  WHAT NOW? Is this true for the 2022 as well? My little guy has been asking me if he can drive our current sled. Obviously, not a chance in hell. But, this comment leads me to believe that if I set it correctly, I could let him put put around the backyard (we live on 3 acres). Obviously with me on the back with him but ... am I crazy and misreading this?

#8 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts
  • Sled:2006 Rev 800

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

CRK: I hadnt even looked at it since its classed as utility. There's a dude with an axe cutting wood on the promo page. I'm not sure Ive ever even held an axe lol So it was more of my own naivete, thinking it was a "workhorse" sled for hauling n stuff. BUT, it does look nice, thats for sure.

Sooo after the comments above, I went and looked at reviews for the 2021 Renegade Sport. In the review, I noticed this: "Includes drive-by-wire intelligent Throttle Control (iTC) with three driving modes (Sport, Standard, ECO) and a throttle block that can be rotated on the handlebars. You can select a throttle mode to best match the skill and experience level of a new or youth rider.." WHAT NOW? Is this true for the 2022 as well? My little guy has been asking me if he can drive our current sled. Obviously, not a chance in hell. But, this comment leads me to believe that if I set it correctly, I could let him put put around the backyard (we live on 3 acres). Obviously with me on the back with him but ... am I crazy and misreading this?

CRK: I hadnt even looked at it since its classed as utility. There's a dude with an axe cutting wood on the promo page. I'm not sure Ive ever even held an axe lol So it was more of my own naivete, thinking it was a "workhorse" sled for hauling n stuff. BUT, it does look nice, thats for sure.

Sooo after the comments above, I went and looked at reviews for the 2021 Renegade Sport. In the review, I noticed this: "Includes drive-by-wire intelligent Throttle Control (iTC) with three driving modes (Sport, Standard, ECO) and a throttle block that can be rotated on the handlebars. You can select a throttle mode to best match the skill and experience level of a new or youth rider.." WHAT NOW? Is this true for the 2022 as well? My little guy has been asking me if he can drive our current sled. Obviously, not a chance in hell. But, this comment leads me to believe that if I set it correctly, I could let him put put around the backyard (we live on 3 acres). Obviously with me on the back with him but ... am I crazy and misreading this?

Its true. U can get him a learning key so he can't blast off at 150kmhr

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#9 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade Adrenaline 900T

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:25 PM

Sell your 583 privately, the dealer won't give you squat for it. Little more of a hassle, maybe, but you'll come out richer.

2019 Renegade Adrenaline 900 ACE Turbo, 1.25" Ripsaw, Studboy 6" Deuce Bars, 6" RSI riser.

1998 MXZ670, 20/44 gearing, Goodwin clutching, Tracks USA 136" extension, 1.5" Intense track, 3" ROX riser.

#10 timbo48

timbo48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:outdoors
  • Sled:2001 mxz 600, 700, 18.5 600r

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:27 PM

Learning key? Tell me more. Is this for all sleds?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#11 Mullet Man

Mullet Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Sled:2019 Renegade Adrenaline 900T

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

Learning key? Tell me more. Is this for all sleds?

Search for 'skidoo green key' and whatever your model and year is.

2019 Renegade Adrenaline 900 ACE Turbo, 1.25" Ripsaw, Studboy 6" Deuce Bars, 6" RSI riser.

1998 MXZ670, 20/44 gearing, Goodwin clutching, Tracks USA 136" extension, 1.5" Intense track, 3" ROX riser.

#12 timbo48

timbo48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:outdoors
  • Sled:2001 mxz 600, 700, 18.5 600r

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:34 PM

Will doo tnx

#13 Mobeus103

Mobeus103

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Sled:2015 ski doo renegade sport ace 600

Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

Get a 2015 or newer renegade sport 600 ace has 3 modes Econo,standard and sport mode 4 stoke all around fun sled ...

#14 Muskoka3

Muskoka3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Sled:2018 Ski-Doo 850 XRS

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:01 AM

I have no idea about pricing. But a good dealer in your area is loiselle sports in embrun  great place to deal with.

I second & third that-good pricing & service!

#15 Se7enOfMine

Se7enOfMine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

Mill: wow, I looked that up. 100000% going to get one of those. That's incredible. My dude will be SO happy. My wife, on the other hand; when hearing this, was less than pleased haha

Mullet Man: Absolutely. I assumed this was the same as a car. One will get far far less from a dealer than private. My cousin might actually buy it off me. We grew up together (he's like my brother) on snowmobiles at my grandparents. Neither of us had been on one in 20 years. He has come by my place and ridden the MXZ around the yard and he loves it. So when I said I might sell it and get a new one, he said he will try to figure out how to buy it off me so we can go together. WOO. The advantage is he is a big dude (6'1, 220lbs) and can crank over the mxz like nothing, where I struggle like crazy.

Mobeus: that was actually going to be another question I was gonna post. I naturally assumed I would get the 600EFI 2 stroke. But I'm wondering about the 4 stroke now. It has less power and will be heavier but reliability/longevity are also factors. Still undecided there.

Muskoka: wow, ok, 3 times a charm. Definitely gonna knock on Loiselle's doors.

Thanks so much all. I love this :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users