Check Muffler Check Engine - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Check Muffler Check Engine

Check muffler check engine Bog engine bog 800 ETEC Ski doo freeride 2014

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sbeswick

sbeswick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:2014 Ski Doo Freeride

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:13 AM

I have a 2014 Freeride 800. Normally the engine runs great with no hiccups or stutter, but when I hold wide open throttle for too long going down the trail or lake, the engine will bog out and I have to reduce throttle. No warning lights or flashes on dash, and if you give it a quick second, the engine comes back as strong as ever as long as you stay off wide open throttle. Any thoughts? Another problem I keep having is first thing in the morning or after lunch I will get a “Check muffler, Check Engine” warning on the dash with the temp light and engine light. I usually just clear the warning with an engine restart and the warning doesn’t come back for a few hours. Do I need a new pipe and muffler temperature probe and module? Will this help both problems? Thanks in advance.

#2 KSDoo

KSDoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Sled:2015 Renegade Backcountry 800R

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

Stock muffler?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#3 sbeswick

sbeswick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:54 AM

No it has an MBRP trail can that has been on for a long time.

#4 xcrsp440

xcrsp440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2445 posts
  • Sled:15 800 BCX & Freeride

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:23 PM

I wonder if on those long lake runs you are overreving the engine and hitting a limiter?
Freerides weren’t designed as high speed cruisers.
Perhaps a tooth bigger in the top,gear would help?

#5 sbeswick

sbeswick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:29 AM

It doesn't even want to hold over 70mph for a mile before it bogs.  Could it be that a faulty temp sensor in the pipe is sensing a false overheat and derates engine power for a second?  Do ETECs do that?

Edited by sbeswick, 16 February 2021 - 08:45 AM.

#6 xcrsp440

xcrsp440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2445 posts
  • Sled:15 800 BCX & Freeride

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

There has been a lot of discussion on fuel pressure/flow issues on etecs. Fuel pressure regulator works loose from tank. There is an inexpensive fix skidoo developed. Small plate the screws in to hold the regulator in place. There is a YouTube video of a guy fixing his regulator.
Also fuel filters can plug or the pump it self can get weak.
Symptoms seem to match yours. Yours good at low load, but get heavy in the throttle for awhile and it falls flat.
May be worth a look to see if the regulator is in place. Or rig up a fuel pressure gauge and see if it holds up.

I don’t know if a weak fuel system can cause a lean mixture resulting in overheating in the exhaust?

Edited by xcrsp440, 16 February 2021 - 05:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Check muffler, check engine, Bog, engine bog, 800 ETEC, Ski doo, freeride, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users