High miles Renegade - REV-XP / XS Chassis - Renegades / Freeride / Backcountry - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

High miles Renegade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skiduby

skiduby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sled:2010 Renegade

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:07 AM

I've come here for some advice from the pros. Looking at getting back on a sled and I've come across a 2010 renegade adrenaline 800 locally. The sled has 7k miles on the original bottom end and just a few hundred miles on a new top end and hes asking $3300

Those miles on that bottom end make me nervous. I know the earlier ptek motors had crank bearing issues and from what I understand by 2010 they resolved all these issues? What kind of longevity are people getting out these later pteks? I'd like to get something that I can ride the remainder of the season and then come spring I'm not opposed to tearing it down and freshening up the bottom end for peace of mind in the future.

I'm looking at getting something cheap because winters are a hit or miss around here and I dont really have any interest in making the long haul up north just to go ride trails so I dont really want to spend the money on a high dollar sled. I'd rather buy something cheap so I dont mind if it sits until we get good snow. I have access to a decent amount of riding from my brothers house, a few very large fields, small trail networks, and a large pond as long as the ice is good.

Just curious what you guys thoughts are on this.

Thanks

Edited by skiduby, 15 February 2021 - 07:19 AM.

#2 KSDoo

KSDoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1212 posts
  • Sled:2015 Renegade Backcountry 800R

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:39 AM

I've come here for some advice from the pros. Looking at getting back on a sled and I've come across a 2010 renegade adrenaline 800 locally. The sled has 7k miles on the original bottom end and just a few hundred miles on a new top end and hes asking $3300

Those miles on that bottom end make me nervous. I know the earlier ptek motors had crank bearing issues and from what I understand by 2010 they resolved all these issues? What kind of longevity are people getting out these later pteks? I'd like to get something that I can ride the remainder of the season and then come spring I'm not opposed to tearing it down and freshening up the bottom end for peace of mind in the future.

I'm looking at getting something cheap because winters are a hit or miss around here and I dont really have any interest in making the long haul up north just to go ride trails so I dont really want to spend the money on a high dollar sled. I'd rather buy something cheap so I dont mind if it sits until we get good snow. I have access to a decent amount of riding from my brothers house, a few very large fields, small trail networks, and a large pond as long as the ice is good.

Thanks

If your worried I'd suggest popping the clutch and checking the grease inside for condition.
Yes the ptek did have issues but If your not wringing it's neck constantly I don't foresee any major issue might add a bit extra oil to the gas..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

#3 Dcrad91

Dcrad91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:2011 Renegade SP 800r Ptek

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:19 PM

I’m almost at 9k miles and going strong. Had the motor rebuild 1k miles ago.

#4 todd700mxz

todd700mxz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2017 Renegade XRS

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:27 PM

Thanks

I wouldn't touch it without budgeting for a full rebuild before next season.

That's just me though.

I should qualify this with the fact that I cart mine several hours north to ride and sleds get worked decently for a few days.

Really sucks when the sled goes down on one of these trips.

Edited by todd700mxz, 23 February 2021 - 05:39 PM.

2017 Renegade XRS

#5 Dcrad91

Dcrad91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:2011 Renegade SP 800r Ptek

Posted Yesterday, 09:45 AM

I wouldn't touch it without budgeting for a full rebuild before next season.

That's just me though.

I should qualify this with the fact that I cart mine several hours north to ride and sleds get worked decently for a few days.
Really sucks when the sled goes down on one of these trips.

I usually drive 5-8 hours to go rip north too. Last year I brought one sled and it went down first day lol, now I bring two, keep one for a backup in case one goes down on there long trips

#6 Dman800

Dman800

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Sled:2010 xrs 800, 03 Rev 144”

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Ride it til it goes down. Then piece together a used motor and replace it. You should be able to find a Ptek or Etec bottom end for about $500. For about $1200, you can build your own motor if it takes out the top end...ie..if the crank locks up and shreds the motor apart. If it’s just the bottom end, you’ll be able to find a good used setup I’m sure but at least give this one a chance to run.

The current motor could go down at any moment, or last 1000 more miles. You can do all the preventative maintenance you want by replacing darn near every bearing in the motor, pistons, etc and be at the same place and money you’d be at if the motor goes down and have to replace it. You could do all that work and money and the motor may have been fine all along and last many many more miles.
Get some miles out of it at least. I’d be worried about the chassis and other components. By that many miles, the chassis will probably feel loose and rickidy. (If that’s a word!)

Edited by Dman800, Yesterday, 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users