01 800 Summit Stator Test - MXZ / Legend / Summit / Grand Touring / Formula - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

01 800 Summit Stator Test

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elanman22

elanman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:Skidoo

Posted 12 February 2021 - 05:01 AM

I know this has probably been asked before but could not find it.
Have 01 800 Summit x with no spark. We tested the kill switch and also tried different coil still no fire.
From reading some post it’s probably the Stator. My question is how do we test it to see? And what kind of numbers should we get?
Thanks for the help 😊

#2 GTO

GTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Sled:2001 Summit 800 144"

Posted 13 February 2021 - 09:06 AM

If you unplug the wires at the MEPM and put an OHM meter across the wires you should read around 14ohms. If the reading does not change then your coil is open. If you get '0' then something is shorted.

#3 elanman22

elanman22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:Skidoo

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:41 PM

Ok thanks for the reply. It’s the Stator is shot. I see there are many available on the internet.
I am wondering now which one to go with? We want to Chang’s the pickup and the flywheel also. Seems like there all chewed up some.

#4 LETMGROW

LETMGROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2281 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, NASCAR, camping with my family, managing my land for wildlife.
    Owner Auto and light truck repair shop and automotive machine shop.
  • Sled:'97 Mach 1 x 7, '96 f3 600, '97 Mach Z

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:56 PM

If the trigger coil and the flywheel are chewed up I'd be putting a dial indicator on the end of the crankshaft and check the run out on the crankshaft.

• GTO likes this
If you want to get something out of something, you must put something into it.

Buy cheap and you will buy twice.

My greatest fear: As I lay on my death bed my wife is typing away on her computer trying to sell my prized possessions on Craig's list for what I told her I paid for them.

#5 GTO

GTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:50 PM

^^^^ What he said. Looks like something's moving. I just put in an RM Stator. After about 200km's I lost the aux. coil. No lights and tach. Turns out it was a bad solder joint. Put it back in and all OK so far. If I have to change it again I'll go with an OEM stator. It's still available. Good luck.

#6 ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:01 MXZ 800 + 97 MXZ 670

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:23 PM

Hey, I have a 01 MXZ that is doing the same thing, what wires is GTO talking about? Is it the two yellow wires coming of of the stator lead??  Thanks

#7 GTO

GTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:19 PM

Ya, I think they're yellow and yellow with a black stripe. Going to your regulator.  you can measure at the plug going back to the stator. If you have about 14ohms you're good. If you have 0 ohms it's shorted (no good). If the needle/display does not change, you're open (no good).

#8 LETMGROW

LETMGROW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2281 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, hunting, fishing, NASCAR, camping with my family, managing my land for wildlife.
    Owner Auto and light truck repair shop and automotive machine shop.
  • Sled:'97 Mach 1 x 7, '96 f3 600, '97 Mach Z

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Ya, I think they're yellow and yellow with a black stripe. Going to your regulator.  you can measure at the plug going back to the stator. If you have about 14ohms you're good. If you have 0 ohms it's shorted (no good). If the needle/display does not change, you're open (no good).

The yellow wire and the yellow/black wires are for the lighting coil. I believe the wires you are looking for are red, black and white for the ignition.

You need a manual to check the procedure and values.

Lynn

If you want to get something out of something, you must put something into it.

Buy cheap and you will buy twice.

My greatest fear: As I lay on my death bed my wife is typing away on her computer trying to sell my prized possessions on Craig's list for what I told her I paid for them.

#9 GTO

GTO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 AM

You're right. My bad, thought this was my earlier post. I had aux. coil issue. The ignition coil is the red and black wire. They say you need to have about .2 ohms but you need a special low resistance meter to measure that low accurately. When you measure if it reads any ohms (.2, .5 etc.) you can assume it's still good. If it's open, needle/display does not change, it's open and no good. Make sure you don't touch the test leads as you can read body resistance sometimes. The ignition portion of your stator plugs in on your MEPM.

Edited by GTO, Yesterday, 07:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users