• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition SWT

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:34 AM

I heard somewhere that for 2022 Polaris is expanding their widetrack line up to include a smaller 2-stroke motor (600cc-ish) AND they'll be bringing a 1000cc 4 stroke. If there's truth to the rumours, that is good news indeed. Not that I'll be switching brands, cause no one else is ever going to come out with a 24" track, and as long as I'm in Labrador, that's what I'll be riding, but more competition is good for the industry, no doubt. 

When Arctic Cat came out with their latest Bearcat my friend (who's a Cat dealer) and I were talking about how great it would be if Cat would drop their 600cc motor in in to make a light weight utility sled, but of course, instead of doing that, Cat dropped utility sleds altogether, leaving the entire segment to Ski-Doo. Hopefully Polaris will try and put a little pressure on them anyway. 

Anyone else have rumours or news for 2022?

#2 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6624 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!!
    2010 V800SWT
    2013 600aceSWT
    2014 600ACEWT
    2014 600aceSWT
    2016 900aceSWT
    2017 900aceSWT
    coming soon..
    2020 900aceLE
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:45 AM

I heard this last year they were testing the 4 stroke in the titan, this came from a reliable source, it would be nice to see a smaller engine pullurass no doubt but it would take a disaster on brp's part for anyone to come remotely come close to them in the utility line, even more so now these utility wt,swt's is expanding like a wildfire into the sporting market, back to the polaris 4 stroke, i have a 800 here that never failed to start in cold weather, i tried in -30 last year and it went 1 twist of the key.

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#3 BobbySOX

BobbySOX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, ATVing, hunting, anything outdoors.
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 146

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:10 AM

Agreed that competition is good, all you need to do is look at the success/buzz around the Polaris Maytrix; this is definitely going to make the Ski-doo Backcountry's better. Hopefully if Polaris up's their utility game, it'll keep ski-doo on their toes (although having all of the utility sleds on G4 chassis is excellent). Maybe Polaris will drop their 650 into one a utility sled? This is one area where Polaris seems to have pulled the wool over ski-doo's eyes.

And who knows what the heck Arctic Cat is doing... sad to see

#4 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 07:25 AM

Agreed that competition is good, all you need to do is look at the success/buzz around the Polaris Maytrix; this is definitely going to make the Ski-doo Backcountry's better. Hopefully if Polaris up's their utility game, it'll keep ski-doo on their toes (although having all of the utility sleds on G4 chassis is excellent). Maybe Polaris will drop their 650 into one a utility sled? This is one area where Polaris seems to have pulled the wool over ski-doo's eyes.

And who knows what the heck Arctic Cat is doing... sad to see

Agreed, 100%. They're leaving their loyal customers, and their dealers, up the creek without a paddle. 

It was one thing to drop the Bearcat line, but then they dropped the 600 Norseman, leaving them with only an 800cc "utility" sled. Crazy. 

And I'll never understand why they dropped all the Yamaha engines, other than the turbo in the Thundercat. The Yamaha triple is the one thing that would've made me consider buying a trail sled from Cat. The only thing I can figure is that the profit margins on the Yammy-cats weren't high enough. 

#5 LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7651 posts
  • Sled:Everything

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:55 AM

And I'll never understand why they dropped all the Yamaha engines, other than the turbo in the Thundercat. The Yamaha triple is the one thing that would've made me consider buying a trail sled from Cat. The only thing I can figure is that the profit margins on the Yammy-cats weren't high enough. 

I wasn't even aware of this. So they only have the Cat Built 2-strokes and the Kymco 700 4 stroke now, other than the T-Cat?  No more Cat-Viper for them?

#6 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:38 AM

I wasn't even aware of this. So they only have the Cat Built 2-strokes and the Kymco 700 4 stroke now, other than the T-Cat?  No more Cat-Viper for them?

That's right. The only Yamaha motor is the turbo version.

They have the 800 in most sleds, the 600 available in a select number of models, and the 400 singles. They don't even have the Kymco motor in any current models. The 400 single is supposed to occupy that niche. 

I have to assume that building everything in house gives better profit margins than getting engines from an outside supplier. 

#7 SNOWTOBOGANNER

SNOWTOBOGANNER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Sled:19 EXPY SPORT 900, 06 MXZ 800

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:14 AM

Do they even offer the Kymco 700 anymore in a sled?  Unless I missed it on their website, they don't even offer it anymore.

#8 tmacneil

tmacneil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Sled:2018 Titan XC

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:29 AM

Polaris will need to do more than drop a 4 stroke into the Titan to compete with BRP in the utility market and take any market share in the long term.

My Titan rides and performs well, but is severely lacking in the durability/reliability department.

I'm not even talking about the engine, rather poor quality bearing, bushings, starter etc.

#9 Takman74

Takman74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Sled:2019 Expedition SE

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:54 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing what’s released for 2022. We towed another Polaris off the lake last night with a seized motor. They definitely need to get a reliable 4 stroke into their line. Never been a fan of pullurass.

As for Arctic Cat. I have a 2016 bearcat 7000 with the Yammy engine. It’s been super reliable and I won’t part with it because of super low..... that is unless Skidoo comes out with that for 2022! This was the best utility offering that AC ever made in my opinion.

Don’t get me started on the 700 kymco.... bought my son a 2016 bearcat 3000 with that engine. WORST purchase ever! It vibrated so much that the spark plug boots wouldn’t stay down and the thing would run on one cylinder...... Yes you read that right. Several fit and finish issues etc etc it went bye bye for a 2020 EXPY sport... BEST decision ever!!!

Coming from a guy who was AC through and through for 30 years on snowmobiles.... textron has completely ruined that brand. Skidoo really is the only game in the North American market.

One to watch out for in Europe though is Stels. They have some neat utility options including a double track offering that looks kinda interesting. It’ll be interesting to see if they start a north American dealer network and continue to expand their line up. Their fit and finish looks kinda rough but they have some good ideas. For now my money is going to Skidoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:44 AM

I'd never heard of Stels before, so I had a quick look. It looks to me like they bought the rights to several discontinued Ski-Doo models, the Yeti and the Alpine. 

https://stelsoffroad.com

#11 Oilburner

Oilburner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Sled:A pile of Skandics

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:24 AM

Hahaaa! My old junk lives on under a new name. Apparently made in Russia. They have a manual start version of the V800 listed... Interesting, no pictures or other info anywhere on their site, but I found this video in russian, which shows the pull start system between 3:30 and 4:51:

I suspect the V800 is coming from China, the market has been flooded with chinese knock off V800 parts... I wonder if I can add a pull start to my V800...

Ottawa, Ontario

Skandic WT/SUV with Rotax 582 power

Skandic SWT V800

#12 Indabush

Indabush

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sled:Skandic

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:50 AM

I own a few newer poos and can attest to the cheap Chinese parts they use. Every thing thing seems to be cheap, from the springs to the bearings.

#13 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:07 PM

Hahaaa! My old junk lives on under a new name. Apparently made in Russia. They have a manual start version of the V800 listed... Interesting, no pictures or other info anywhere on their site, but I found this video in russian, which shows the pull start system between 3:30 and 4:51:

I suspect the V800 is coming from China, the market has been flooded with chinese knock off V800 parts... I wonder if I can add a pull start to my V800...

I'm really curious why their prices are like. I'm sure if they were available here they'd sell a few of them, assuming they were priced well below Ski-Doo.

I notice they do sell their atvs in the US, but it looks like they don't bring over the sleds.

https://stelsusa.com/guepard-850-1

#14 Oilburner

Oilburner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Sled:A pile of Skandics

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

It is hard to get into the NA market - You have to certify to emissions and safety regulations, it requires deep pockets, especially emissions. The fact that the engine was previously in NA with Rotax / BRP wouldn't necessarily help them much. Plus, would you buy an old V800 SWT for 10K, especially made in russia? I guess you could rely on the existing parts support from BRP, but would any dealer touch them? It sounds like an uphill battle.

Paint em green, sell them as Cats!!!

Ottawa, Ontario

Skandic WT/SUV with Rotax 582 power

Skandic SWT V800

#15 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

It is hard to get into the NA market - You have to certify to emissions and safety regulations, it requires deep pockets, especially emissions. The fact that the engine was previously in NA with Rotax / BRP wouldn't necessarily help them much. Plus, would you buy an old V800 SWT for 10K, especially made in russia? I guess you could rely on the existing parts support from BRP, but would any dealer touch them? It sounds like an uphill battle.

Paint em green, sell them as Cats!!!

People buy CF Moto quads to save a dollar, I'm sure there'd be people out there who'd buy 15 year old Russian made Ski-Doos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users