#2 hambone868

hambone868

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Sled:06 600 ho

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:04 PM

Lol buy a house beside a public launch and get mad when the public uses it ! Now I'm sure there is probably some extreme cases that no one should have to deal with but these are extreme circumstances I guess . Give it some more time now that trails are closed I bet it gets better 😜

#3 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts
  • Sled:2006 Rev 800

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:19 PM

https://www.baytoday...medium=facebook

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

Are you saying the ofsc trails were closed as a punitive measure? Your probably right. Nimbys now have the ears of the authorities.

Shut it down shut it down they say.

This has been going on before I was born and it's completely normal on lake Nipissing. They bought the house knowing the ramp was there, they are trying to scream loud enough to get cement blocks placed there.

I'm sure they will win, why? Its the thing now, close and ban.

Unreal. Here's an idea don't buy a house beside a public boat launch, race track, airport or dump for that matter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#4 Alvin Purple

Alvin Purple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Sled:2015 Renegade 1200

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:14 PM

Everybody jumping on the "ban" wagon.

#5 fred1200

fred1200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Water skiing, going fast
  • Sled:16 1200 Blizzard

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:14 AM

LOL

#6 dsupercat

dsupercat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Sled:Skidoo

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:11 AM

The same happens in the states all the time people buy a home on the lake next to a public landing and then they try to close it. Hopefully people in this area keep an eye on any local voting to change the use of the landing and shoot it down. Unbelievable

#7 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 6188 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    RV'ing
    Traveling
  • Sled:Blizzard 900, TNT 900, Enduro 900

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

This is the typical problen with society today in general.... no personal responsibility or respect for other people and property.

I love sledding but if I lived there I would not be happy if people were riding through my yard and driveway, yelling and screaming late into the night, leaving trash behind, driking and riding recklessly, etc.

These are the same people who give snowmobiling a bad name and ride off marked trails, ride on closed trails and ride into farm fields because the snow is "pristine" and looks so inviting.

I have one word for all of them...... idiots. 

#8 Old Papa Smurf

Old Papa Smurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, street rodding, fabricating
  • Sled:2002 Sik-Doo Legend 700GT

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

Buy a house next to a pig farm because the price is "good" Then complain that the pigs stink

#9 SledderJack

SledderJack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sled:2018 Renegade Sport 600 (x2)

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:13 AM

Well North bay closed the trails, where did they think sledders were going to go. And you cant close the lake lol

2018 RENEGADE SPORT 600 (x2)

2004 MXZ X BLAIR MORGAN HO800 - STOLEN AUG 2018

2018 AMERI-LITE 23' CARGO SNOWMOBILE TRAILER

2005 TRITAN DOUBLE SNOWMOBILE TRAILER - STOLEN AUG 2018

#10 John Bartley

John Bartley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, antique tube radios, large format film photography, small engine repair
  • Sled:2014 Skandic SWT 600ACE

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:27 AM

To keep it on topic .... from what I read into the article, the issue is not with the use of sleds or the access point as much as .... it's the usual minority who are loud and visible at all hours and who leave their litter behind.   There really is no excuse for not having respect for others.  It's this sort of "screw-you, I don't care about you, only about me" attitude that's driving landowners to close trails and urban dwellers to resist allowing sleds in town .... pretty simple.

I've experienced it from a club ... I have fifteen acres of bush near Ottawa.  My wife and I went for a drive by my bush lot one day about fifteen years ago and found a cleared, marked trail across our land.  I called the local club, asked what the deal was and the response I got was "you must have signed for access" ..... nope, try again.  "Maybe the person you bought the property from signed" .... in 1964?  nope ... try again. "If you sign now it'll be ok" ....

I closed it and let them pick up their signs at my home.   Had they asked first, we could have cooperatively laid out a route thru my bush lot.  Instead they just cleared the trail hoping nobody would notice and when they got caught they lied to my face  .... just selfish.

Edited by John Bartley, 20 January 2021 - 10:28 AM.

#11 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:31 PM

I'd also add, don't believe everything you read. Just because someone wrote into a paper to complain doesn't mean it's the truth.

Are there problems there, sure. To the extent that is stated. I doubt it.

Is it possible the home owner exaggerated a tad hoping to get to his desired outcome? Probably.

That's what we do. Its human nature. We see what we want to see.

No different then north bay closing the trails even though most weren't even open anyway. Probably saw one issue and jumped the gun. Now its north vs south on every forum.

#12 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2168 posts
  • Sled:2007 Blizzard

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:44 PM

If the same problem persists in the exact same location, what is stopping the local PD from periodically stopping and checking on things?  Seems like a good spot for them to sit and not only babysit the kids but they could hawk every sled for their permission slips.  Moving next to train tracks and thinking the trains will stop passing is just insane.

#13 crxski

crxski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3528 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on short peirs
  • Sled:17 850x, Indy Mod, Bravo Élan 250

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

If the same problem persists in the exact same location, what is stopping the local PD from periodically stopping and checking on things? Seems like a good spot for them to sit and not only babysit the kids but they could hawk every sled for their permission slips. Moving next to train tracks and thinking the trains will stop passing is just insane.

They can't make up laws, your allowed to ride there. Thousands of dollars will be lost now. The hotel is that I stay in two years ago was fully booked with 50 sleds in lock up the rest outside. It was insane. Now...Zero. the 2% wins again.

Never liekd Northway area anyways. Very rough always beat trails. I heard something about Mattawa is shutting down their area. Hope that's fake news.
2010.5 800x with rmotion and QA, reeds clutching, 2ply with Triggers. The hole shot King. True stock class
1991 Indy Trail, left for dead resurrected as the Retro Indy trail. IQ seat, LED tail, rebuild motor, Skandic skis, sc3, big wheel, ripsaw 1.25.
1973 Elan 250 Twin, VM32 carb, new track, 42 mph on speedo, without a tail wind.

#14 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:12 PM

They can't make up laws, your allowed to ride there. Thousands of dollars will be lost now. The hotel is that I stay in two years ago was fully booked with 50 sleds in lock up the rest outside. It was insane. Now...Zero. the 2% wins again.

Never liekd Northway area anyways. Very rough always beat trails. I heard something about Mattawa is shutting down their area. Hope that's fake news.

Mattawa closed. Part of north bay health unit.

Remember folks we follow the science.

Zero, absolutely, zero cases traced back to anyone, even the bad southern people trailering and riding snowmobiles up north.

Guess it's not about the science anymore. Nimbys?

Why hasn't anyone asked the genius health district Dr about that?

I think they are more at risk of all the truckers from southern Ontario bringing in their goods to keep the shelves stocked.

Hmmm why don't they close the hwy and ban truckers.

The Dr said it only takes one super spreader, just one. So why take the risk.

Always easier to grab the low hanging fruit. Snowmobiling, kids sliding on hills and god forbid ice skating.

#15 John Bartley

John Bartley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, antique tube radios, large format film photography, small engine repair
  • Sled:2014 Skandic SWT 600ACE

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Mattawa closed. Part of north bay health unit.

Remember folks we follow the science.

Zero, absolutely, zero cases traced back to anyone, even the bad southern people trailering and riding snowmobiles up north.

Guess it's not about the science anymore. Nimbys?

Why hasn't anyone asked the genius health district Dr about that?

I think they are more at risk of all the truckers from southern Ontario bringing in their goods to keep the shelves stocked.

Hmmm why don't they close the hwy and ban truckers.

The Dr said it only takes one super spreader, just one. So why take the risk.

Always easier to grab the low hanging fruit. Snowmobiling, kids sliding on hills and god forbid ice skating.

Would you like some cheese ??

Edited by John Bartley, 20 January 2021 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users