Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

03 Legend 380f

4K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Bliebler 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 380f with electric start and rer. I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with it but I need some help. There is no power to anything, other than ignition power to make it run. Electric start works off of the battery, but the battery does not charge. There are no headlights, no tail light, no heated grips or thumb warmer. I replaced the stator and voltage regulator. Maybe one of those are bad even though they are new, I don’t know. If someone could give me a few trouble shooting pointers, I would appreciate it more than you know. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Yes, the electric start works fine, and the sled runs great, just doesn’t produce and voltage other than what it takes to make the engine run. I did not get an oem regulator, and this problem is why I replaced the stator and regulator. I’m losing my mind over this thing.

#7 ·
I can’t guarantee that the voltage regulator is the right one, but it did plug right in, and the chassis is clean underneath the regulator. If the regulator wasn’t the right one for the electric start, wouldn’t it still make power for the headlights and hand warmers etc?

#8 ·
If the regulator wasn't the right one for the electric start, wouldn't it still make power for the headlights and hand warmers etc?
Im not sure about that but im pretty sure it wouldn't charge the battery.

Ive heard bad things about aftermarket vr's for these 380 and 550 ducati stators.

What was the aftermarket vr and did it cross to the oem e start vr?

The oem e start reg is 515175939

The non e start reg is 515175655

#9 ·
I’m not sure what the part number is on the regulator I bought, it was probably 4 years ago. Every winter I search online for troubleshooting information, but I can’t really find how to test the stator and vr to rule them out. I bought a manual online, but it’s about 5,000 pages and literally, and I can’t find anything useful in there either. I end up giving up after a while, then try again the next year.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sure, I was just looking for my fanner wiring diagram that I posted on DooTalk. It's not needed, by think it is cool lol

Check for continuity (ohm/resistance) from the yellows to the ground.

Test one and then the other.

There should be none.

The resistance between the two yellows is 00.0 - 00.6 ohm,

But I don't have one handy to double check that specification.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Found it in a corner of my hard drive. There is picture degradation that happens with uploads, and the pdf version is too large for me to upload. But you can download the picture and view it with a picture program to get a better view.

The cool thing about the fanners is they have a completely independent system that doesn't even need the Voltage Regulator. So even if there is a funky wiring problem it will keep on ticking and get you home. The MPEM or what is commonly known as the Calibration Module, is an entire system with its own voltage reification and regulation, and a step-up transformer for the integrated Ignition Coils. The only drawback is when it stops running then often it needs to thrown in the garbage and replaced.

The stator is divided in two coils, one to power the MPEM and appropriately called the Ignition Generator Coil. The other is for all the accessories, but main one is the lights, hence the Lighting Generator Coil which dates back to when lights were the only accessory lol The Lighting Generator Coil is the one you are troubleshooting.

Rectangle Slope Schematic Font Line

Attachments

#24 ·
Above idle will the voltage rise above 2Vac?
Are you certain the multimeter is set to Vac?
Do you have the 2005 Shop Manual, or any manual?
It is a click away, but it can't be given on the open forum.
Send me a PM if you need it.
Wow, this is great information! I do have a manual that I bought online but it is thousands of pages because it covers every snowmobile for 2003. I will look into the resistance readings when I get home from work. The voltage did go up a volt or two when I rev the engine.I double checked to make sure I had it on the right setting by probing an outlet in my house, and it was right. Thank you!

#25 ·
Wow, this is great information! I do have a manual that I bought online but it is thousands of pages because it covers every snowmobile for 2003. I will look into the resistance readings when I get home from work. The voltage did go up a volt or two when I rev the engine.I double checked to make sure I had it on the right setting by probing an outlet in my house, and it was right. Thank you!

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
The voltage was a little lower between the yellows tonight, I'm assuming because it's much colder tonight? It was close to 2 volts at idle, and about 2.6 or so revving it up. The resistance between the yellows is 00.0. There also was no resistance between either yellow wire and ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.