#16 JLR82

JLR82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts
  • Sled:'20 ZR8000 Ltd

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:18 PM

Seems like its more of a problem to get into the old boys club then to incentivize volunteering. I'm happy to pay my (early) fees for passes. I just want to contribute, not looking for a free ride. Bring my own ATV, chainsaw and gas.
As you mention above, what better time to bring my boys out who are just getting into snowmobiling to help, pack a lunch..make a day of it between our seasons.

Was that way here until recently, much more friendly towards new people now.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

#17 crxski

crxski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3528 posts
  • Interests:Long walks on short peirs
  • Sled:17 850x, Indy Mod, Bravo Élan 250

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:24 PM

This ^^^

I don't think the issue is truly to get people out to help its the ability to communicate the need for help or a work day to the people that would be interested. Like why have a single check box for helping with that one club? Make it a zone or just want t sign up for help period. If I was working in London for a week and was staying over the weekend I could pop over and help brush for a few hours. Don't ride or live there, but again if it was communicated it could work.
2010.5 800x with rmotion and QA, reeds clutching, 2ply with Triggers. The hole shot King. True stock class
1991 Indy Trail, left for dead resurrected as the Retro Indy trail. IQ seat, LED tail, rebuild motor, Skandic skis, sc3, big wheel, ripsaw 1.25.
1973 Elan 250 Twin, VM32 carb, new track, 42 mph on speedo, without a tail wind.

#18 Jgg6

Jgg6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Sled:renegade 1200

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

Great topic for this forum. I too check the volunteer box at permit purchase time. After years of no action or response, I shared my willingness to help out on the club's Facebook page. The response I got was ... "watch for posts regarding work days". So I did , only to see the first post was pics and a thank you to the club members who helped.

#19 smurfy71

smurfy71

Not good with advice, how's a sarcastic comment?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19472 posts
  • Sled:04 600HO SDI, 05 MXZ 500ss

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:27 AM

I can only speak for my local club, but our work days are usually talked about at meetings and people show up. If something comes up outside of meetings it’s done via an email to the volunteer list. You’d have to contact the club directly to get in that list.

I don’t know why the OFSC has that check box when you buy a permit, I don’t think that gets to the local clubs. Best way to get involved, attend a meeting.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

2004 600HO SDI
2005 MXZ 500ss
94 MX 470

I have the 2004 service manual in pdf, ask for a link if you need it.
Nun replacement (service bulletin)

#20 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts
  • Sled:2006 Rev 800

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:34 AM

I can only speak for my local club, but our work days are usually talked about at meetings and people show up. If something comes up outside of meetings it’s done via an email to the volunteer list. You’d have to contact the club directly to get in that list.

I don’t know why the OFSC has that check box when you buy a permit, I don’t think that gets to the local clubs. Best way to get involved, attend a meeting.

Attending meetings as simple as it sounds is not feasible for allot of people.

Their communication/public relations strategy or lack of needs to be addressed. This is a big issue that some can't understand, especially those not familiar with tech and social media.

To this day I have never ever seen a ofsc or local club booth at any community events for promotion, generate community contacts and volunteers. Throw in a mini sled raffle, you get the kids you get the parents. This here is total old school but it works.

No organization in 2021 can or should just sit back and expect people to just show up to a meeting or call repeatedly to volunteer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#21 smurfy71

smurfy71

Not good with advice, how's a sarcastic comment?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19472 posts
  • Sled:04 600HO SDI, 05 MXZ 500ss

Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:02 AM

Attending meetings as simple as it sounds is not feasible for allot of people.

Their communication/public relations strategy or lack of needs to be addressed. This is a big issue that some can't understand, especially those not familiar with tech and social media.

To this day I have never ever seen a ofsc or local club booth at any community events for promotion, generate community contacts and volunteers. Throw in a mini sled raffle, you get the kids you get the parents. This here is total old school but it works.

No organization in 2021 can or should just sit back and expect people to just show up to a meeting or call repeatedly to volunteer.

I don’t disagree.

I’m just saying that checking the box when you buy your permit is a waste of time. Every club is different, some are still old boys clubs, but honestly, in our club they do most of the work. They are retired and get things done through the week.

2004 600HO SDI
2005 MXZ 500ss
94 MX 470

I have the 2004 service manual in pdf, ask for a link if you need it.
Nun replacement (service bulletin)

#22 Mill

Mill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts
  • Sled:2006 Rev 800

Posted 07 February 2021 - 10:18 AM

I don’t disagree.

I’m just saying that checking the box when you buy your permit is a waste of time. Every club is different, some are still old boys clubs, but honestly, in our club they do most of the work. They are retired and get things done through the week.

True. Sorry if it came off that way, not disagreeing with you.

What you said is exactly what shouldn't happen. You want to volunteer but nothing. No comms from ofsc or the local club.

And that's why you will see the occasional club post about struggling or needing help as club members are getting old. That should never happen, the pool of volunteers should be large enough to draw from.

Both the ofsc and clubs need to move into 2021 so people like you and I can assist when we have time.

Some of us have all kinds of gear to assist, others have pure muscle. Its all needed.

A day of atv'n, signage and letting my chainsaw loose is a fun day to me but I'm not going to chase and beg a club for information.

The focus should always be on the youth, when they come their parents come.

In Ontario they need volunteer hours for high school, ofsc ever tap into that? No.

You either change with the times/tech or fade into obscurity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users