Question for C&A ski users - REV Chassis - Performance and Trail Models - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

Question for C&A ski users

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Sled:2007 Blizzard

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

I have a set of RZ's on my Rev.  I am mostly trail riding in N. Wisconsin.  I love the ski when moving, less when going slow.  My question is what carbide everyone is using?  I know this is a bit like an oil thread but hoping for some common responses..  I don't know what is on currently as I bought them used with the carbides already on them.  After inspecting them last night I noticed chunks missing so time for replacement.  TIA

#2 Z7*

Z7*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6484 posts
  • Interests:Family Hunting Fishing Sledding
  • Sled:2021 BC XRS

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

I've owned a few different models of C&A's including Razors and have always used Shapers with them.

7.5" on the Razors and 6" on the last pair which were XCS's. 

I agree, they're great when moving forward at a decent pace but not so great when going slow, especially on hardpack. My biggest gripe was trying to turn while backing up from a stop, say in a gas station parking lot. Always felt like the like the bars or steering post were going to snap

#3 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Z7.  Reverse is no joke.  Appreciate the feedback!

#4 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

IKnowNothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1155 posts
  • Sled:850

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

your complaints on snow at low speed are much less of the carbide, but of the profile of the ski IMO. Its just a much more aggressive keel. With razors or any other aggressive keeled (square) ski, take a look at your ski track. If its snow you will clearly see the big swath of square surface, with a little tiny carbide indentation in the very center. I think you'd have similar feel with a straight up host bar as you would with a 6" carbide , but this is just my Opinion. Especially with the outer and inner keels that are very aggressive on some C&A like the XT ski or older XTX. Razors are a little less pronounced in that they arent squared edges on the outer keels compared to the two I just mentioned.

FWIW i ran the XTX ski's (way more aggressive than razors) on the Rev chassis. Trying to turn the bars when stopped was a mute point, felt like you wre going to snap the steering post as mentioned by somebody else. But it sure did handle like a slot car when moving.

#5 1Evil55

1Evil55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:00 PM

Yup I'm well aware that they basically are good for an arm workout only when stunting the parking lot.  Fortunately I don't sit still long.  They are velcro on trail.  Just need to find the right new bar...

#6 gun-driver

gun-driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting the ultimate game
  • Sled:2016 Freeride 146/154

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

I've run Razor on my sleds since my '07 Rev. I always went with 6 or 8" Woody Trail Blazers or Executives depending on the sled.

Edited by gun-driver, 13 January 2021 - 05:56 PM.

Posted Image

You can run... but you'll just die tired.

CW4 US Army Retired
REAPER 25

#7 Powdah_Skier

Powdah_Skier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports, Music, Pitbulls.
  • Sled:2018 Polaris XCR

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:06 PM

I had outlaw skis with shaper bars and it was great at 80, other than that was like doing 50,000 pushups in a day on the trail. Try taking some shock off on the fronts to ease downward pressure to get it to ease up.

#8 Z7*

Z7*

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6484 posts
  • Interests:Family Hunting Fishing Sledding
  • Sled:2021 BC XRS

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

your complaints on snow at low speed are much less of the carbide, but of the profile of the ski IMO. Its just a much more aggressive keel. With razors or any other aggressive keeled (square) ski, take a look at your ski track. If its snow you will clearly see the big swath of square surface, with a little tiny carbide indentation in the very center. I think you'd have similar feel with a straight up host bar as you would with a 6" carbide , but this is just my Opinion. Especially with the outer and inner keels that are very aggressive on some C&A like the XT ski or older XTX. Razors are a little less pronounced in that they arent squared edges on the outer keels compared to the two I just mentioned.

FWIW i ran the XTX ski's (way more aggressive than razors) on the Rev chassis. Trying to turn the bars when stopped was a mute point, felt like you wre going to snap the steering post as mentioned by somebody else. But it sure did handle like a slot car when moving.

I agree the keel shape plays into it but I think the rocker, or lack thereof, is just as big of a factor.

Side by side with most factory skis these things are super flat, pretty much the entire length of the ski is on the snow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users