1995 skidoo mx470 temp guage? - MXZ / Legend / Summit / Grand Touring / Formula - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

1995 skidoo mx470 temp guage?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 470skidoomx

470skidoomx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a motor
  • Sled:1994 skidoo mx470

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

I want to install a water temperature guage on my 95 mx470 as I usually ride in areas with less than ideal snow and I'm worried about it overheating. yes the light up idiot light is there but I'm not sure if it even works. I've watched a few video's of people doing it on newer sleds but the wires are all different. I've been researching this for a while now so any help would be much appreciated!

#2 smurfy71

smurfy71

Not good with advice, how's a sarcastic comment?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19017 posts
  • Sled:04 600HO SDI, 05 MXZ 500ss

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:04 AM

I want to install a water temperature guage on my 95 mx470 as I usually ride in areas with less than ideal snow and I'm worried about it overheating. yes the light up idiot light is there but I'm not sure if it even works. I've watched a few video's of people doing it on newer sleds but the wires are all different. I've been researching this for a while now so any help would be much appreciated!

When I had my 94 470 I came across a kit to install the OEM gauge. You’d need to find the right gauge and sending unit.

On my Rev I added a Koso temp gauge. Put the sending unit in the elbow at the top of the motor and found a powered wire at the dash. Pretty simple install, you should be able to do it on the 470.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

2004 600HO SDI
2005 MXZ 500ss
94 MX 470

I have the 2004 service manual in pdf, ask for a link if you need it.
Nun replacement (service bulletin)

#3 470skidoomx

470skidoomx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:38 PM

That's really good to hear, I've looked and looked and couldn't find much of anything on it. So if I can find a sending unit and gauge off a similar sled than it should hook right up with some power? that seems a lot easier than I thought. by the sounds of it there isn't any aftermarket solutions for my sled is there? I guess ill get looking for a used guage and sending unit then, hopefully I can find one for a reasonable price...

I plan on buying a rev this spring-summer sometime if the prices actually go down to a reasonable price, wanted to buy one for this winter but prices only kept going up... will want to put a temp gauge on it so ill probably install one of those koso gauges as well.

Thanks for the response!

#4 mrwarrior737

mrwarrior737

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:95 Formula 500 sls, pilot 5.7 ski swap, 97 mxz 670 suspension swapped. Air box delete with gutted stock can.
  • Sled:95 skidoo formula 500 SLS

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

I just added a temp gauge and sensor to my 96 formula sls from a 98 formula STX to ditch the dumby light.

Was pretty easy after you swap the purple and green pin near the pull start recoil.

Need a 2.5" hole saw. and its basically plug and play on my sled after you mount the gauge and swap the green and purple wire pins near recoil  as I stated.

I attached a few photos for reference. Hope it helps.

Attached Images

• temp guage plug near recoil.jpg
  • 20210105_181121.jpg
  • 20210104_184829.jpg

#5 smurfy71

smurfy71

Not good with advice, how's a sarcastic comment?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19017 posts
  • Sled:04 600HO SDI, 05 MXZ 500ss

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

For reference, here is the tread that led to me obtaining the kit.  Part numbers are in there.

https://www.dootalk....71#entry6830585

2004 600HO SDI
2005 MXZ 500ss
94 MX 470

I have the 2004 service manual in pdf, ask for a link if you need it.
Nun replacement (service bulletin)

#6 470skidoomx

470skidoomx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Awesome pics! that's exactly what I'm looking to do! just curious, what's the purpose of switching the green and purple wire, and what does that connector hook into? Thanks for the link! those part numbers will definitely help find the right parts!

now that I know its possible, I guess ill just buy the parts and go from there. just wanted to see if it was possible and wanted a idea of how to do it before I did anything.

Thanks guys!

Edited by 470skidoomx, 13 January 2021 - 04:52 PM.

#7 mrwarrior737

mrwarrior737

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:95 Formula 500 sls, pilot 5.7 ski swap, 97 mxz 670 suspension swapped. Air box delete with gutted stock can.
  • Sled:95 skidoo formula 500 SLS

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:29 AM

Awesome pics! that's exactly what I'm looking to do! just curious, what's the purpose of switching the green and purple wire, and what does that connector hook into? Thanks for the link! those part numbers will definitely help find the right parts!

now that I know its possible, I guess ill just buy the parts and go from there. just wanted to see if it was possible and wanted a idea of how to do it before I did anything.

Thanks guys!

In your harness the purple is pinned to the sensor running to the head. The green is blank. You need to swap pins sp the purple on the sensor plug side is pinned to the green which is the signal wire in the harness to the gauges under the dash.

If you dont swap the wires it will not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users