GBoost belts - REV-GEN 4 - MXZ Performance Trail 129/ Renegade 137 - DOOTalk Forums

Photo

GBoost belts

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Snowmobiling
  • Sled:2021 850 XRS 129, 2020 600r

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:43 PM

Tried 2 Gboost belts today, DBSD383 and WBB383. Both fit length and width very similar to a 571, wide belt with length. Also ran 821 and an aged 571 that might be down 100rpms or so. Had a Gates Redline as well but it is too wide for my shimmed primary, 

21 xrs, 25 45 gears, Hrss pdm2 setup. 571 is spot on rpms 7800 and builds to 79-8000. snow covered lake with some icy patches but nothing you would break loose on once hooked up, only about 800-900ft and you have to get out of it, top speed on dream meter 104- could have got more but not looking to kill my breaks yet. Sorry, no real data but temps some info on the how the belts fit in with others. Did about 15 belt changes and a lot of mid speed running getting them all heat cycled a couple of times so very time consuming.

WBB383 is very similar to a 571, maybe 100-200 rpms more or very similar to a new one. Will spend some time with this one comparing long term to 571.

DBSD383 is very soft and grippy, very similar to the XS821. Both of these belts grip so well that for the clutching I was running today you could pin it bottom to mid and be 600-800rpms low and then it would build to around 7800, so final rpm 200 less than 571 and 300rpm less than WBB383. final top speed in the short distances were the same on all belts but as noted, short distances so does not mean much. Not sure when I will have time to dial in the softer belts, would need a lot of weight pulled to get the response with the Ramps I am using. 

All belts were pretty similar on clutch temps in these conditions, fast easy rolling, belts side temps were all 100-130 deg F depending on where you hit it and fixed primary sheave was 125-150F on all. Harder belts could have used more weight and softer belts less so nothing was dialed perfect yet. 

So if you like XS 821 and your clutching works well for that belt try the DBSD383,

If your clutching is setup for Doo belts the WBB383 is what you would want. Will dial this one and get some miles on before I attack the others. 

FWIW the only belt that was noticeably  different on temp today was a Gates Carbon fiber, quite hot comparatively. Also if you have not shimmed your Pdrive the Redline will probably engage a bit lower and load early with it is width.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." � Thomas Jefferson

#2 Burtamiss

Burtamiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2547 posts
  • Sled:2018 XRS RENY 850, 05 600HO SDI HYBRID

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:48 PM

Great initial write up. Will be following closely to see how they all progress.

2018 XRS RENY 850: 1.5 ICE Storm, 6"-8" adjustable riser, HRSS Clutch Kit, Pilot 6.9s, Aux high beams, Hi-torque rollers

2005 600 SDI: X style windscreen, Custom 4" bar risers, RSI bar pad, SS brake line, Wave brake rotor, Oil pump mod, Custom chassis bracing, 21 tooth top gear/ 44 tooth bottom, 10 tooth extrovert drivers, 440 Motor Plate, Boyesen rage cage and reeds, Dynamo Joe clutch kit, Rox Power Madd hand gaurds, Power Madd ESR seat riser kit, 2002 440 front piggybacks, 2012 XRS RMOTION W/PRO 40'S, Ripsaw ll 1.25" Track, PDP XS snow flap, Taller upper ball joint, Pilot 5.7 ski's, Replica XRS graphics

#3 Rotaxmadman

Rotaxmadman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Sled:15 McDoo MXZ-XRS, 2016 MXZ-XRS

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the info. Saves some of us some time and money. Waiting to hear more when you have a chance.

#4 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:14 AM

Need more time to verify but the WBB383 G Boost may be a a bit different in mid range as well. So far compared to 571 it could work very well as a warm weather belt, say you are dialed perfectly for 0-25 deg and you get into warm conditions with less response and high drag, you could probably be bang on rpms just switching belts. Performance so far when loaded properly is as good or better than the 571. If you want to tune for it you would want to add pivot weight if running stock ramps, probably a min of 1 gram. If you are running HRSS pdm or pdm2 it would need a gram in the base or #2 hole. Lots of options.

For guys running no studs with a lot of spinning the DBSD383 will help you load better like an 821.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." � Thomas Jefferson

#5 Donseye

Donseye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Boats and Golf
  • Sled:2017 850X, 2021 850X

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:45 AM

Need more time to verify but the WBB383 G Boost may be a a bit different in mid range as well. So far compared to 571 it could work very well as a warm weather belt, say you are dialed perfectly for 0-25 deg and you get into warm conditions with less response and high drag, you could probably be bang on rpms just switching belts. Performance so far when loaded properly is as good or better than the 571. If you want to tune for it you would want to add pivot weight if running stock ramps, probably a min of 1 gram. If you are running HRSS pdm or pdm2 it would need a gram in the base or #2 hole. Lots of options.

For guys running no studs with a lot of spinning the DBSD383 will help you load better like an 821.

I think I am following you here. The WBB belt is a bit " harder" then the 571 and requires a bit more weight to load the engine comparing to the 571.  Thus, if you do not add the weight to the current 21 stock setup and the temps get a bit high and the rpms start to fall with the stock 571 the WBB would get you back to the sweet spot on the RPM curve? Am I accurate?

#6 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:02 PM

I think I am following you here. The WBB belt is a bit " harder" then the 571 and requires a bit more weight to load the engine comparing to the 571.  Thus, if you do not add the weight to the current 21 stock setup and the temps get a bit high and the rpms start to fall with the stock 571 the WBB would get you back to the sweet spot on the RPM curve? Am I accurate?

correct, or say you were hitting a big race and had mega traction.....rather than dumping in a higher start secondary to build rpms you could swap this on instead. ^_^

#7 InTheSticks

InTheSticks

Looking for the Hot Tub...

• DOOCrew
  • 7029 posts
  • Interests:...too much junk...
  • Sled:Track shoes and a ski...does that count?

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

JEB,

I ordered 4, 571 belts for this year, you saying I should give one of these WBB belts a try?  Your the master at trailside belt changes, I barley get my snickers down and were rolling again...

2020 XRS, Black with Yellow Graphics 

2021 XRS, Black with Orange graphics 

Beagle Ridge Snow Cam is up --> Click me  <-- Sorry cam is down.

#8 Meat Head

Meat Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2859 posts
  • Sled:340 Indy lite

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

JEB,

I ordered 4, 571 belts for this year, you saying I should give one of these WBB belts a try? Your the master at trailside belt changes, I barley get my snickers down and were rolling again...

571 is a good belt. No worries. Last yr it worked very well for me. Between 1000 to 1200 miles it will be pretty much junk under hard riding conditions. Xs821 won't mph the same for me so far this year. However it seems like a decent belt. Right now I would take the 571 over the 821.

#9 InTheSticks

InTheSticks

Looking for the Hot Tub...

• DOOCrew
  • 7029 posts
  • Interests:...too much junk...
  • Sled:Track shoes and a ski...does that count?

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:47 PM

571 is a good belt. No worries. Last yr it worked very well for me. Between 1000 to 1200 miles it will be pretty much junk under hard riding conditions. Xs821 won't mph the same for me so far this year. However it seems like a decent belt. Right now I would take the 571 over the 821.

We went though 5 571 belts last year, didnt blow any but a couple got hot due to slow/mogul riding, also we changed out 2 at 1000- 1200mi as they were not holding RPM well, those were under some fairly hard riding, wife is not happy unless her hair is on fire..

2020 XRS, Black with Yellow Graphics 

2021 XRS, Black with Orange graphics 

Beagle Ridge Snow Cam is up --> Click me  <-- Sorry cam is down.

#10 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:39 PM

571 is a good belt but mine would start too fade last year in 700 miles, lots of warm weather aggressive riding which makes for hot belts. We will see how these Gboost hold up, so far I like them being a little different, nice too have different rpm options for different conditions....and yes I can change belts fast ;)

#11 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 09:38 PM

so the Gboost wbb383 is holding up well so far to a lot of abuse. The best way to describe this is lets call a 571 your baseline, with proper clutch and loading if you just change to an 821 it will feel grippy and overload btm, mid and be about 100-200rpms low on top. Wbb383 is the opposite, it will be super responsive, backshift awesome and rev 100-200rpm more than a 571 but in both scenarios the final rpm is not the biggest factor, it is the change in the low to mid. Belt temps run the same with a 571, both slightly more than an 821. In summary, choose and use it based on what you need, if you have lots of traction and are low response, low rpm low and mid with 571 the gboost will get you very close to optimum with no changes. It is really a good option for high traction applications but you may need to add weight or lower finish to get it optimum, when you do it works well.

#12 ctdls

ctdls

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Sled:850 E TEC

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

Excellent post, thank you for that. I've been curious about the other brands & wondered how they compare. Years ago I did several belt tests & finally settled with the OE brand as the others needed tweaks in clutch calibration. Most owners are gas & go so sending them on there way I need to be very close when they leave......for many adjusting the clickers is daunting Ha! 

In the mountains our clutch performance is somewhat different as we battle power loses thru elevation changes then the never ending snow density conditions. Much like you running studs except that one moment it is like we have studs then the snow changes to fluff & it is like no studs.

I'm going to have closer look @ the WBB383....Tx's again.

#13 Burtamiss

Burtamiss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2547 posts
  • Sled:2018 XRS RENY 850, 05 600HO SDI HYBRID

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

Thanks again for the update! Any plans to adjust for the Gates redline soon?

2018 XRS RENY 850: 1.5 ICE Storm, 6"-8" adjustable riser, HRSS Clutch Kit, Pilot 6.9s, Aux high beams, Hi-torque rollers

2005 600 SDI: X style windscreen, Custom 4" bar risers, RSI bar pad, SS brake line, Wave brake rotor, Oil pump mod, Custom chassis bracing, 21 tooth top gear/ 44 tooth bottom, 10 tooth extrovert drivers, 440 Motor Plate, Boyesen rage cage and reeds, Dynamo Joe clutch kit, Rox Power Madd hand gaurds, Power Madd ESR seat riser kit, 2002 440 front piggybacks, 2012 XRS RMOTION W/PRO 40'S, Ripsaw ll 1.25" Track, PDP XS snow flap, Taller upper ball joint, Pilot 5.7 ski's, Replica XRS graphics

#14 Jeb©

Jeb©

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 8339 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Thanks again for the update! Any plans to adjust for the Gates redline soon?

I have struggled with fitment on the gates redline so no update. 

#15 Ed Hochuli

Ed Hochuli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Sled:2018 850 MXZ, 2020 850 Backcountry

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:35 AM

Jeb,

I Still have the original PDM kit in my MXZ, except for the Secondary I have a Red Dalton (205-310). Long story short I put that in when I was chasing over gearing with a 150storm track. I got rid of the Storm and now have a 1” Rip2 (135 studs) with 27-46 gearing. Finally got it out today and got it tuned in, pulled ramps 8 times switching weights. I use an XS821 and ended up with 2 1.3’s in the heal and a single 1.7 in the tip.

Hard pack icy trail, pulled 7900 good with this setup, good backshift but an occasional hiccup (nothing serious, might have been icy conditions). Specifically it pulled real hard up top, 114 on dream meter with more left (trail riding in woods of Vermont not many HUGE straights). I am very happy up top with the grunt but It doesn’t have the snap down low I have had in the past with other gearing and clutching setups. 

I just pulled the trigger on a set of PDM2's, better bottom 1/3 of ramp pull and rpm? I originally thought between the Red Dalton and my taller gearing was causing the Laziness but it has been brought to my attention it's the xs821.
Now you have me interested in trying one of these belts. I stopped buying $200 571s because I only get 700 miles out of them and then I am dealing with fade, sled has never blown a belt though.
Any updates on WBB?
Sounds like the DBS would be a sideways move?

Thanks, always appreciate your feedback

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users